What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gherkin

Juniors
it's got me beat why the short restart is used when a long kick can mean they are coming at you from fifty out and not ten
They might be 50 out when they catch the kick, but the 1st tackle would be made closer to the 30. By 3rd tackle they'd almost be at the 10. So I guess it's a trade off of 3 less tackles on your line vs a chance at getting the ball back

King-Gutho94

Coach
it's got me beat why the short restart is used when a long kick can mean they are coming at you from fifty out and not ten
It's a shit rule that's given the kicking team all the advantage.

If it goes out on the full or doesn't go 10 there is no consequence. The receiving team has to play the ball 10m with no momentum in the set.

Bring back the penalty.

Gronk

Staff member
They might be 50 out when they catch the kick, but the 1st tackle would be made closer to the 30. By 3rd tackle they'd almost be at the 10. So I guess it's a trade off of 3 less tackles on your line vs a chance at getting the ball back
Agree. Kicking it deep doesn’t really accomplish much. Obviously coaches think that a coin toss opportunity to get the ball back is worth it.

If it goes out on the full or doesn't go 10 there is no consequence. The receiving team has to play the ball 10m with no momentum in the set.

Bring back the penalty.
I agree with this. They have totally removed the risk for the team dropping out.

They have also removed the reward to the attacking team for getting a repeat set. Short kicks into the in-goal on T5 now means that there is a 50/50 chance of a repeat set.

oldmancraigy

Coach

Easier to set your defence inside 10 as well. Not as far to retreat, and teams prefer to defend those short spaces.

The sad thing is that we're the worst defensive team in the comp by a country mile. It's not just attitude (surely that doesn't help), our system is broken. So shuffle it 2 passes wide on a quick spread and we get caught with our pants down most times. Sadly, going long won't help, it just give the opposition 2-3 set plays to generate a quick play the ball and then space to spread it.

If our defence was even just mediocre, then we'd be a lot more content with the short drop-outs. They do make a lot of sense

oldmancraigy

Coach

Bring back the penalty.

OR make it that the attacking team is allowed to touch the ball before it goes 10, which would then trigger the penalty.

Ie, put all the onus on the team doing the dropout to make sure it actually goes 10m. The Sean Russell's of the world are pushing hard for this I hear....

Noise

Coach
OR make it that the attacking team is allowed to touch the ball before it goes 10, which would then trigger the penalty.

Ie, put all the onus on the team doing the dropout to make sure it actually goes 10m. The Sean Russell's of the world are pushing hard for this I hear....
I’d prefer the rule to stay the same if only to weed the Sean Russell’s of the world out.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Didnt Tom Opacic do the same thing as Russell a few years ago when we beat the storm in the wet that night.

Sivo scored with 2 mins to go and then Storm did the short kick off and opacic touched it before it went 10 to give the storm a penalty.

We hung on thankfully but don't our players learn the rules ffs.

hindy111

Post Whore
Agree. Kicking it deep doesn’t really accomplish much. Obviously coaches think that a coin toss opportunity to get the ball back is worth it.

I agree with this. They have totally removed the risk for the team dropping out.

They have also removed the reward to the attacking team for getting a repeat set. Short kicks into the in-goal on T5 now means that there is a 50/50 chance of a repeat set.

Or 7 tackle set

oldmancraigy

Coach
Lofi Khan-Pereirha is going to scorch our right hand side defence and score 5+ tries... JoJo Fifita will do the same on the other side and Brimson is going to take a dump on Gutho's face in our in-goal area.... I'm not confident.

The first 2 things I can see happening
I'm really not so sure about the third? I suppose it would be something new

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum.
It's got me beat why anyone is doing the long kick restart. Why the heck would you do that when there is a 50-50 chance you get the ball back with little downside if you miskick.

JokerEel

Coach
I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum.
It's got me beat why anyone is doing the long kick restart. Why the heck would you do that when there is a 50-50 chance you get the ball back with little downside if you miskick.

The smart teams have a player run past where the ball is going to land waiting for the opposition to bat the ball back...

We are not one of the smart teams..

Latest posts