What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They can smell blood in the water. We’re run by clowns so all managers will now be trying to take advantage
No, we have dumb, angry fans and the rugby league media are lapping it up. So smart moves by the club (not overpaying for Talagi, and locking in Guymer on unders) are being cast as failures by the media. So one manager is hoping to use it as an opportunity to renegotiate. Good to see the club stand fast.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No they havent. They've replaced Keary with Sandon Smith, with Townsend being signed to a 12 month deal to provide leadership and guidance to what is a young halves pairing.
Smith is also a downgrade from Keary, who has won three premierships. Townsend has only won one. Sandon Smith has seven NRL starts for three wins.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So basically he could have held out on his player option until as long as he wanted and made us lose any other potential signing...
Then decline it and sign with another club.

Nah that's awesome 👍
We also made him an offer. We weren't waiting for him to activate the option. He would've only done that with a bad injury. And while we made the offer, like any offer made by any club to any player, we were unable to commit that money to another signing. This is why you see clubs get sick of waiting and pull their offer to a player. So they can use the money to pursue another target.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
id say it carries a lot more downside than upside
The upside is whatever amount of contract money it saved the club, which we'll never know. The downside is only downside if the player takes up the option (and presumably is worth less than whatever the value of the option is).
and it has just shown its ugly head yesterday.
Yesterday had nothing to do with the PO. It expired months ago.
The biggest downside is that the player has us on the hook till round 10 the following season while free agents are free to negotiate from nov 1. the PO would be a lot less painful if the player had to make a decision by nov 1.
We already offered a new contract long before the option expired. It would've been for a lot more than the PO was worth, making the option a non-factor.
id say the only reason we are offering POs is because we are negotiating from a position of weakness. we are unable to handle player managers and theyre walking all over us.
The rumour I hear is that we are lowballing managers and dragging out negotiations rather than letting them walk all over us. That's why they don't like dealing with us. They would prefer we sack MON and go back to the days when we threw top dollar at their clients every election time.
In order to seal the deal we are adding these options and theyre going to make it hard to manage our roster moving forward.

next year we have Dylan, Will and Matto all with POs, which represents over 2mil in the cap.
The player options will all be for less than they are on. The expectation is always that the player doesn't take up the option, because it is likely to be unders. It's a safety net for the player, not a release clause, and not a free extra year on huge money. They are intended for tragedies like what happened to Dunster.

The expectation is that the player will negotiate a new deal rather than take the option, just like RCG did in 2021: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/79e8a7b38183681e3af5fcf457a62e71
next year we have Dylan, Will and Matto all with POs, which represents over 2mil in the cap.
We will make new offers to Drown and Penisini before their options are even a factor. So will rival clubs. It's no different to any other off contract player. The difference is if the player does an ACL during negotiations and clubs all pull their offers, he has a safety net. Like when Christian Welch took up his option at the Storm after he did his ACL and we withdrew our offer: https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/20192/11/20/forward-four-pack-extend-contracts-with-storm/

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
True, finalising a squad is delayed but in reality, there are late season signings every year for every club. It is the nature of the NRL.
Exactly. The Panthers only just filled their 6 jersey for next year. And since we signed Lomax I've been wondering how we'd fit Talagi into the team. He doesn't want to be an outside back.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
and we stuck in this situation for the next 3 offseasons with a lot of cap space tied up in POs

there is a reason Lomax didnt get one, the club figured out even before this Talagi shit show the whole concept was a dud
Clubs have been doing it for years, including our club. But we are losing and thickshit Eels fans have only just heard of contract options.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't believe heavily blackened contracts are allowed any more. If we were averaging $525k per year, he would have to be getting minimum $450k next year, but I'd say $500k is possible.
Maybe not, but we don't actually need Talagi next year, so why would we have made a big offer? I understand why a team without a five-eighth for 2025 was able to make a bigger offer.

TheCrowe

Juniors
Guymers manager advised him to sign for unders. He negotiated what appears to be a shit deal for his client and is now trying to cover his arse.
The club on the other hand did good business.
Apparently this all went down after his debut.
Now he is recovering from surgery so his negotiating power has dropped.

TheCrowe

Juniors
Maybe not, but we don't actually need Talagi next year, so why would we have made a big offer? I understand why a team without a five-eighth for 2025 was able to make a bigger offer.
We need a couple of quality wingers and hope some of our junior forwards come through.
If Ryles can coach we will be ok. Just an annus horribilis.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I bought a car a few years ago off the Ferrier Hodgson administrator who ran our club during the salary cap mess. I quizzed him heaps about how f**king stupid our club was ( we paid the grounds man $800k on the books but off it was like $100k, the rest went to the players). Don’t quote the figures but it was something like that. Anyway eventually the grounds man gets disgruntled and dobs us in. The Ferrier Hodgson dude said Nick Politis is the best at it as he’s old school. It’s the good old brown paper bag under the table and only he and the player knows.
That's because the likes of Uncle Nick are spending their own money, so they don't have to cook the books. They can do what they like with their cash. But the PLC is a registered club, so every dollar has to be accounted for. That means there is a paper trail. Without it, dodgy chairmen don't just get banned by the NRL, they can end up in jail.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I suspect it's that they manage them from a portfolio perspective a lot more cleverly than we have (i.e. consider how many options are exercisable in each year, how many contracts end in each year, understand their future exposures). The guys who ran the club straight after the salary cap kerfuffle did the basics very well. The wheels have fallen off a bit since then.
I think merkins are overstating the risk. What are the chances Penisini, Drown and Matterson all activate their options for 2026? Penisini and Drown will be in their prime, and Matterson will only turn 32 after the season is over. Is he really one head knock away from being a jelly sandwich? Even so, we should be able to medically retire him.