What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
That’s a bit of revisionism. They peaked in 1998/99 because of their strong recruitment picking over the carcasses of teams their News Limited masters killed after the end of Super League/creation of the NRL.
2000 (title defence year) they scraped into the top 8. 2001 and 2002 they were pretty mediocre (sacked Chris Anderson, appointed Mark Murray as coach who proceeded to help continue to the post-premiership slump).
Bellamy was appointed coach for 2003, and that was quite the turning point that got the club back on track and in dynasty building mode.
If only Melbourne storm never came into the competition in 1998.

We may have had another 2 or 3 premierships by now

Eelogical

Referee
I know parra supporters who were upset that he was punted but now they've come around and see what mess he's left us in and the nepotism.
The fact him and the family had massive dummy spits speaks volumes...
Never employ friends or relos. It only works for the 'riff so well is because everyone out there is related in one form or another.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That’s a bit of revisionism. They peaked in 1998/99 because of their strong recruitment picking over the carcasses of teams their News Limited masters killed after the end of Super League/creation of the NRL.
2000 (title defence year) they scraped into the top 8. 2001 and 2002 they were pretty mediocre (sacked Chris Anderson, appointed Mark Murray as coach who proceeded to help continue to the post-premiership slump).
Bellamy was appointed coach for 2003, and that was quite the turning point that got the club back on track and in dynasty building mode.
The dynasty players (Smith, Slater, Cronk) were already at the club when Bellamy got there.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If only Melbourne storm never came into the competition in 1998.

We may have had another 2 or 3 premierships by now
Broncos and Cowboys too. Between '99 and 2017 we lost 10 finals matches to four different clubs:

OpponentFinals losses
Storm5
Broncos2
Cowboys2
Knights1

The Knights of '97-'01 were a true flash in the pan, but the other three superclubs with a city to themselves (genuine cities, not Newcastle) have skewed the comp away from more modest clubs like Parramatta.

Since 2019 we have lost 6 finals matches to three clubs:

OpponentFinals losses
Panthers3
Storm2
Rabbitohs1

I'd hesitate to call Souths a superclub, but they have been able to win a premiership and lure Bennett to the club (twice). Are Penrith a new superclub? I don't think three straight premierships can be called a flash in the pan. When we did it 40 years ago it took three years to start our decline.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Broncos and Cowboys too. Between '99 and 2017 we lost 10 finals matches to four different clubs:

OpponentFinals losses
Storm5
Broncos2
Cowboys2
Knights1

The Knights of '97-'01 were a true flash in the pan, but the other three superclubs with a city to themselves (genuine cities, not Newcastle) have skewed the comp away from more modest clubs like Parramatta.

OpponentFinals losses
Panthers3
Storm2
Rabbitohs1

I'd hesitate to call Souths a superclub, but they have been able to win a premiership and lure Bennett to the club (twice). Are Penrith a new superclub? I don't think three straight premierships can be called a flash in the pan. When we did it 40 years ago it took three years to start our decline.
North Qld are at a disadvantage geographically to those other sides you point out.

Brisbane and Melbourne flying to Sydney and back is pretty easy compared to flying from Townsville every 2nd week. It's an extra 4hrs if you add both legs on a plane every trip.

It takes it toll eventually and I think it's a factor with the Warriors as well.

Sports science with recovery has improved but that 1 or 2% makes all the difference especially having to hop on a long flight straight after a game.

North Qld have an below par average winning% since they started.

Like really 2005 had more to do with us shitting the bed then the cowboys.

Going to be interesting when Perth come in if they split up there away games and do perhaps b2b games once or twice a year to break up the travel.

Eelogical

Referee
The facility will be huge for us. Can you believe such a supposedly massive club used to train on the undersized Richie Benaud Oval?
But will it be a production line for other clubs to feed off or will we have the smarts to recognise and retain the players for the future? The COE will need the correct CEO in charge or we'll continue to be DOA.

Eelogical

Referee
North Qld are at a disadvantage geographically to those other sides you point out.

Brisbane and Melbourne flying to Sydney and back is pretty easy compared to flying from Townsville every 2nd week. It's an extra 4hrs if you add both legs on a plane every trip.

It takes it toll eventually and I think it's a factor with the Warriors as well.

Sports science with recovery has improved but that 1 or 2% makes all the difference especially having to hop on a long flight straight after a game.

North Qld have an below par average winning% since they started.

Like really 2005 had more to do with us shitting the bed then the cowboys.

Going to be interesting when Perth come in if they split up there away games and do perhaps b2b games once or twice a year to break up the travel.
I disagree. Sporting teams in the USA, Europe and the like fly everywhere more than our teams do. Merkins get paid more than enough as it is. It beats getting stuck in Sydney traffic any day of the week.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I disagree. Sporting teams in the USA, Europe and the like fly everywhere more than our teams do. Merkins get paid more than enough as it is. It beats getting stuck in Sydney traffic any day of the week.
USA don't have 40-50% of the comp based in one city.

There all spread out everyone has to fly for away games. It's negates each other.

For a long time there were no direct flights to Townsville from Sydney.

The cowboys had to go via Brisbane to get to Sydney and vice versa to get home. It was a disadvantage for a long time.

Chipmunk

Coach

OpponentFinals losses
Storm5
Broncos2
Cowboys2
Knights1

OpponentFinals losses
Panthers3
Storm2
Rabbitohs1

So Townsville is a genuine city, but Newcastle isn't...

That'll f**ken do me...

Eelogical

Referee
USA don't have 40-50% of the comp based in one city.

There all spread out everyone has to fly for away games. It's negates each other.

For a long time there were no direct flights to Townsville from Sydney.

The cowboys had to go via Brisbane to get to Sydney and vice versa to get home. It was a disadvantage for a long time.
Those poor NRL players. Maybe they need a flotilla of hand maidens and emotional support gurus above and beyond their designated accompanying away game mentors.

Latest posts