What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Delboy

First Grade
I’ve lived in Perth and for young families it’s a great area. It’s too boring for the kids when they grow up.
I lived in Perth through the 70s, kids born there. Been back twice to see family and friends, it’s a nice place but too far away from anywhere and far too insular.

Had a house near the beach and then just south of the city, great for the kids but they have done so well here in Sydney, all their friends were married with kids by the time they were 21/22.

jason taylor

Bench
He’s been told to look elsewhere. Has an MO for 2025 and the Sharks so far have said, nah.
It'll be cap management, since they have AFB coming and they decided to throw money at BHU so he'd stay (which I have a feeling they may eventually rue as a mistake). Plus they still have Toby Rudolf and Royce Hunt on their books as well. Sharks have a stacked forwarded pack, together with their strong back five. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they make a deep finals run next month.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That isn't "something " thats just a personal preference. Lots of social people like low maintenance properties. You'll find when things are tighter space wise then stuff is closer. Parks become more common etc. So do networks,social groups. And when things are closer it means less time and more convenient to get to.
I lived in Concord fourteen years ago and the only thing that was nearby was the rest of Concord. As soon as you had to go anywhere else it was a 30-60 minute slog in heavy traffic.

King-Gutho94

Coach

The moment Israel Folau fell in love with rugby following failed Parramatta Eels move​

"I decided to leave AFL back in 2012 and didn’t even want to go to rugby," Folau told The Sporting News' Ebbs and Flows podcast.

"The Giants were really good. I told them I wasn’t enjoying it and they weren’t going to keep me on that much money just for the sake of it. So, they helped me transition out quite well.

"But in the background, I had had a fall-out with my agent at the time, so I had to pick up the phone myself.

"I called ‘Sticky’ [Ricky Stuart] as he was the coach at Parramatta. I called him and told him I wanted to come back to league."

The Eels had just picked up the wooden spoon after a miserable season with Stuart parachuted in to try and revive the club.

He had stepped down from his position as New South Wales coach in order to link up with Parra and immediately set about trying to rebuild the roster.

Folau was seen as a marquee signing upon which to pin their hopes for the campaign ahead after the winger had previously scored 73 tries in 91 games for the Storm and Brisbane Broncos.

"I was essentially negotiating my own contract, so I was going back and forth with Sticky," Folau recalled.

"I think it was around November or December time. But because I left it so late in the year, I think most rosters were quite full. So, salary cap-wise, there wasn’t that much money left.

"I was happy to go and sign with the first year obviously on a low amount and then they’d backend that in the later years, but the NRL blocked it."

A potential long-term deal wasn’t sanctioned by the game which left Folau feeling unsure of where his next move lay.

"I was quite upset," he said.

"I was like, 'what are they doing?' Anyway, it went through that whole process of me trying to come across, but I didn’t end up doing it and I was gutted. And that’s why the route changed for me and I ended up going to rugby."

Just like the preceding move which saw him trade in rugby league for a sport he’d never played before, Folau jumped into the deep end once again with a switch to the 15-man code.

Although he insisted his heart was still set on making a return to the NRL, while working under future Australia head coach Michael Cheika.

"I signed a one-year deal with the Waratahs and went across but I still had the mindset of I’ll just play out this year and then go back to league," Folau stated.

"I’d say about three or four months into the transition, I fell in love with the game. I loved it."

A quick detour suddenly turned into a permanent home as Folau went on to establish himself as a Super Rugby and Wallabies great.

"I didn’t have any expectations – I had none at all," Folau said about his early days in union.

"But I played my first few games and was like, 'this is unreal!' I loved what the game brought from an attacking point of view.

"I thought, 'hang on, this is something I want to do long-term'. And then I started to see how global the game was and what that brought.

"The year I joined the Waratahs was the year of the British and Irish Lions tour, but I didn’t know anything about it. I was just playing the game.

"When I knew I enjoyed it and wanted to do it, that’s when I started to set goals for myself, like I wanted to play for the Wallabies and I wanted to go and play against the Lions and do all that sort of stuff."

King-Gutho94

Coach
Israel Folau did we dodge a bullet or would he & Hayne won us a comp.

I wonder if Hayne bothers going to NFL if Folau was here and we were a decent footy not a basketcase winning spoons between 2011-2013.

Anyway we all know if it was the Roosters the deal would have signed off.

Noise

Coach
Wonder if we will get any info this week about farewelling players at our last home game for the year?

* I won’t be there to farewell them but am keen to know who is getting boned.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Your argument was based around the Cowboys having a city to themselves , then went on to say Newcastle isn’t a real city.
Whether they are a real city or not is irrelevant. They have the place to themselves. What I think about it being a real city or not is immaterial. If anything, if it is a real city it supports my argument further.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That isn't "something " thats just a personal preference. Lots of social people like low maintenance properties. You'll find when things are tighter space wise then stuff is closer. Parks become more common etc. So do networks,social groups. And when things are closer it means less time and more convenient to get to.
Things are more convenient to get to in smaller cities like Perth, Canberra and Townsville.

Latest posts