What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

T.S Quint

Coach
It angers me that Pou just trolls parramatta fans with opinions he doesn’t or can’t possibly really believe, simply to mock parramatta fans

What makes you think he doesn’t believe what he says?
He tends to back up his arguments with data and facts.

They aren’t exactly wild out-there opinions, thinking that BA isn’t the worst coach in the world or thinking that the Eels aren’t completely flush with resources.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
moderators are people just like everyone else here

I don't expect any moderator to change their personality just because they were asked to help us moderate LU
That's right Twiz, just because Gronkles is a whiny unlikeable dickhead doesn't mean he should change who he is when he posts on here.

Go for it Gronky we all believe in you!!

Legal Eel

Juniors
What makes you think he doesn’t believe what he says?
He tends to back up his arguments with data and facts.

They aren’t exactly wild out-there opinions, thinking that BA isn’t the worst coach in the world or thinking that the Eels aren’t completely flush with resources.
Those aren’t the only two examples

across his tsunami of post, the examples are legion of him being contrary for the pure sake of it

To pretend otherwise is just disingenuous

lucablight

First Grade
Of course they didn’t, because punters and betting agencies didn’t realise how good their squad was. Plenty of pundits tipped us to finish top four in 2018 and then they tipped us to miss the eight in 2019. They were just going off the previous year’s results.
Exactly. So being the “superior” team isn’t something that is always predetermined. Do you think our team was the second best team in 2009 or did they play above themselves?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Exactly. So being the “superior” team isn’t something that is always predetermined.
Well it is, because it’s based on the squad. If they surprise merkins it’s not because the squad wasn’t good, it’s because they didn’t know it was good.
Do you think our team was the second best team in 2009 or did they play above themselves?
I still don’t think we were second best. We finished eighth on the ladder ffs. If we were the second best team in the comp we would have finished higher on the ladder, with a much better points differential. And we wouldn’t have missed the finals in 2008 and 2010.

emjaycee

Coach
Exactly. So being the “superior” team isn’t something that is always predetermined. Do you think our team was the second best team in 2009 or did they play above themselves?
Given we finished the season in 8th, I would say we were the 8th best team in 2009.
Just because we made it to the GF doesnt improve our overall ranking after 24 rounds... semi's are basically a different competition which only the 8 best teams throughout the year get to play and with a little bit of luck, any of the 8 teams get through to the GF, and some may even win it on the day.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Given we finished the season in 8th, I would say we were the 8th best team in 2009.
Just because we made it to the GF doesnt improve our overall ranking after 24 rounds... semi's are basically a different competition which only the 8 best teams throughout the year get to play and with a little bit of luck, any of the 8 teams get through to the GF, and some may even win it on the day.
ffs

lucablight

First Grade
Well it is, because it’s based on the squad. If they surprise merkins it’s not because the squad wasn’t good, it’s because they didn’t know it was good.

I still don’t think we were second best. We finished eighth on the ladder ffs. If we were the second best team in the comp we would have finished higher on the ladder, with a much better points differential. And we wouldn’t have missed the finals in 2008 and 2010.
Well there you go. We were the 8th best team and had to beat 4 teams superior to us in the last 8 games to reach the finals and we did exactly that. The data for that season doesn’t match the claim being made by Pou. It’s the coach’s job to try and get upsets. You don’t just handwave it away and say the opposition were too superior until it becomes unrealistic.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well there you go. We were the 8th best team and had to beat 4 teams superior to us in the last 8 games to reach the finals and we did exactly that. The data for that season doesn’t match the claim being made by Pou. It’s the coach’s job to try and get upsets. You don’t just handwave it away and say the opposition were too superior until it becomes unrealistic.
2009 is an outlier. If it was that easy to replicate, Daniel Anderson would’ve had a longer career. If you’re expecting lightning to strike a second time you’ll continue to be frustrated. Has the great Wayne Bennett ever taken a mid table team to a grand final in all his years of coaching? Daniel Anderson got very lucky, and so did the Storm on grand final day.

Glenneel

Bench
Hooper just looking for any angle he can to get a story.

Pointing out Gutho’s broken ribs and injured quad doesn’t help his argument though. It’s just highlighting yet another year where Gutho finished the season with his body completely breaking down.
I love Gutho and hope we can find a place for him, but he can’t keep this up forever. Next year will likely be his last at the Eels, and that’s ok.
Gutho to centre next year, put your house on it.