What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Legal Eel

Juniors
What if throwing huge money at Bellamy is unsustainable and would break us for years afterwards, like the Dragons post-Bennett? Or the Knights post-Bennett?

And if an extra million a year wasn't enough to get Bellamy to the club maybe he knows our resources aren't as good as the ones at his current club. You can throw an extra million at a coach, but if you can't get that million into the hands of the players ('legally') then it's not going to improve the squad. In that case is Bellamy really going to make a difference? Bellamy's Origin record is poor, though it's a small sample. Maybe the quality of the squad is what matters most. Spending $2.5M on a coach won't fix that.
Relentless.

The article notes the offer made. Given the extremely large sum offered, it is a more than reasonable inference that we are more than well-resourced in establishing or recruiting off-field staff.

You yourself have theorised ad nauseam that our off-field staff have never been the best because we just don't have the resources for the best. The logical corollary of the above-mentioned inference is that our resources were never the problem and it was flawed decision making.

I myself think that the flawed decisions are being addressed and we seem to be making proactive decisions to improve our staff and roster.

Of course, your own response to the above article is to posit and speculate what Bellamy "knows" about our club and how he probably didn't come because he "knows" we aren't resourced enough to recruit players. The flaw in your little fantasy is that Bellamy has repeatedly even knocked back the Broncos, undisputedly the best resourced club in the competition, so it appears Bellamy's decisions have less to do with resources and more to do with preferences, so your fantasy arguments are, as ever, built on shifting sand!

What we do know from the article is that the offer was there - and we are obviously well resourced.

I do not except you to agree with the unassailable logic of this position - in fact, I now expect you to flame against the unreliability of the article and spend the next few weeks defending our lack of resources over the past decade.

Have fun.

84 Baby

Referee
Its the eye test, don't need to read. Storm had such quick ptb's that they blew the hens (sorry roosters) off the park.
As established, the metric of aggregated overall play the ball speed is virtually useless in evaluating a team or player. In specific situations you can quantify how a quick play the ball impacted a single possession. However by changing the focus to look at the outcome of their play the balls, rather than the process itself, we can better understand the players and positions that can generate better production from a quality, but not necessarily fast, play the ball
And now you’re using just eyeballing how quick they are.
Sure individual PTBs can have positive impact, but if they were the basis of good team, then surely the “good” teams would regularly be faster (if you read the article you’d know there are other reasons to why they don’t necessarily), but if that were case (I did the differential), Canbra would annihilate everyone, Tits would be a gritty, grinding team, Sharks & Dolphins would be glass cannons able to score and concede huge amounts equally and Broncos would struggle to score a point.

emjaycee

Coach
Relentless.

The article notes the offer made. Given the extremely large sum offered, it is a more than reasonable inference that we are more than well-resourced in establishing or recruiting off-field staff.

You yourself have theorised ad nauseam that our off-field staff have never been the best because we just don't have the resources for the best. The logical corollary of the above-mentioned inference is that our resources were never the problem and it was flawed decision making.

I myself think that the flawed decisions are being addressed and we seem to be making proactive decisions to improve our staff and roster.

Of course, your own response to the above article is to posit and speculate what Bellamy "knows" about our club and how he probably didn't come because he "knows" we aren't resourced enough to recruit players. The flaw in your little fantasy is that Bellamy has repeatedly even knocked back the Broncos, undisputedly the best resourced club in the competition, so it appears Bellamy's decisions have less to do with resources and more to do with preferences, so your fantasy arguments are, as ever, built on shifting sand!

What we do know from the article is that the offer was there - and we are obviously well resourced.

I do not except you to agree with the unassailable logic of this position - in fact, I now expect you to flame against the unreliability of the article and spend the next few weeks defending our lack of resources over the past decade.

Have fun.
I hate to appear to be defending Pou, because I'm not, but f**k me dead you can be as much as a troll as anyone on here at times.

Why do you assume that when he mentions resources he is talking about money only?
Yes, money is A resource, but it is not the only resource and I'm not sure that in recent times there has ever been an assumption made that we lack money - in fact, since Covid, our owner the PLC has increased its profits and also significantly increased its financial contribution to the running of the PNRL.

The resources we haven't necessarily got are things like a depth of NRL experienced management and leadership, quality sponsorships and partnerships, third-party agreements that help us secure better players, and even the best training facilities (we are still running the club out of a bunch of demountables FFS). Believe it or not but Juniors and Pathway programs are a resource as well and ours definitely need improvement.

These are the types of resources that the Panthers for example have - they have people like Matt Cameron running their football program, they have partners like Keno who seem to be able to help them keep players they want, they opened a CoE in 2016 that helped them develop the squad that made the GF from 2019-2024, etc., etc.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "we seem to be making proactive decisions to improve our staff and roster" and this is an improvement in one aspect of our resources. We are slowly improving other resources but to say we have them now is not correct. Next year we get a CoE, hopefully Hardies open the door to more TPA's and O'Neill is getting more experienced every year (as is the rest of our leadership team).

The future looks bright.

Legal Eel

Juniors
I hate to appear to be defending Pou, because I'm not, but f**k me dead you can be as much as a troll as anyone on here at times.

Why do you assume that when he mentions resources he is talking about money only?
Yes, money is A resource, but it is not the only resource and I'm not sure that in recent times there has ever been an assumption made that we lack money - in fact, since Covid, our owner the PLC has increased its profits and also significantly increased its financial contribution to the running of the PNRL.

The resources we haven't necessarily got are things like a depth of NRL experienced management and leadership, quality sponsorships and partnerships, third-party agreements that help us secure better players, and even the best training facilities (we are still running the club out of a bunch of demountables FFS). Believe it or not but Juniors and Pathway programs are a resource as well and ours definitely need improvement.

These are the types of resources that the Panthers for example have - they have people like Matt Cameron running their football program, they have partners like Keno who seem to be able to help them keep players they want, they opened a CoE in 2016 that helped them develop the squad that made the GF from 2019-2024, etc., etc.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "we seem to be making proactive decisions to improve our staff and roster" and this is an improvement in one aspect of our resources. We are slowly improving other resources but to say we have them now is not correct. Next year we get a CoE, hopefully Hardies open the door to more TPA's and O'Neill is getting more experienced every year (as is the rest of our leadership team).

The future looks bright.
Couldn't agree more about the future looking bright.

Understand what you say about other resources - but I also think that there were mediocre choices made in the past 5-6 years and that has limited our results and it wasn't just a matter of "the best we could do with limited resources".

I have never thought BA and his string of underachiever assistant coaches was the best we could do.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
What makes you think that?
So far our recruitment for next season has been praised by most people, hasn't it? Has MON not done a good job to sign/re-sign the players he has?

We got into a shit hole after 2022. He has a chance to fix it. I hope he is with us for quite a few more years because that means he will have done a good job to put a great team on the park.

well let us play what if

what if MON's job is made easier and the Eels are now a more attractive prospect for any new signing because they think JR is a better option than BA ?

King-Gutho94

Coach
Because he's achieved so much in the game?
I assume your referring to Ryles here.

Well lets face it who are the board going to side with MON or Ryles next year if there is conflict somewhere in the relationship.

Oh yeah yeah were going to punt Ryles after 1 season is basically against everything you have written on here while we side with the HOF.

And its complete lunacy.

Its irrelevant whose achieved more in the game at whatever your angle your trying to play here.

I would argue Ryles achieved more by playing 15 tests and 8 origins.

MON never played rep footy or a final until 2005 where he was apart of the flukiest of premierships won this century.

But at the same time Frank Poniessi is the best HOF in the game what did he achieve.

emjaycee

Coach

Understand what you say about other resources - but I also think that there were mediocre choices made in the past 5-6 years and that has limited our results and it wasn't just a matter of "the best we could do with limited resources".

I have never thought BA and his string of underachiever assistant coaches was the best we could do.
Sure, but those decisions were made by the limited Human Resources we had at the Club.

Those same ones, except BA, who are improving their decision making skills as you attest to.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Relentless.

Have fun.
You’re not taking about resources though, you’re just talking about cash. Ten million over four years is a figure most NRL clubs could come up with if they were sufficiently desperate. Whether or not it hurt them financially is a separate matter.

Pazza

First Grade
Yes resources is an opened ended term to describe anything from the amount of revenue the club invests in the football program to the quality of turf used at commbank stadium.

We get it

It's just another concept used to discredit any poster for the sake of contrarianism

oldmancraigy

Coach
Yes, money is A resource, but it is not the only resource and I'm not sure that in recent times there has ever been an assumption made that we lack money -

The future looks bright.

I agree (quite strongly) with your post.

And I'm not here to defend LegalEel, but in fairness to him, the way resources is commonly used is around the idea $$. There may be some who changed their arguments when others pointed out we had good $$, and others who realised it was an actually strength.

The words coaching and management and pathways are more commonly used to refer to other things you (brilliantly) talk about.

Anyway, I've just sailed my ship to the edge of the vortex, in danger of being drawn into it!!!
Personally I think we should have a "PouLegalPouEelEscobar Only" thread where their posts go automatically. If anyone can be bothered reading and gives a like to a post, it goes into the mainstream (kind of an anti-swamp)...

hindy111

Post Whore
You’re not taking about resources though, you’re just talking about cash. Ten million over four years is a figure most NRL clubs could come up with if they were sufficiently desperate. Whether or not it hurt them financially is a separate matter.

You are a genius. No wonder you're wanted in the nations capital. Where all the very smart people go.

Chipmunk

Coach
If you read the article on Bellyache, we didn't offer him 1 cent.

We made an inquiry, he wasn't interested, it never went any further.

The rest is journalistic speculation and opinion only.

When was it that journalists opinions became actual news...it seems to be something that has crept into most areas of news these days. I think there should be a law to determine that if a journalist wants to write/say something that is not factual, then it needs to have a gigantic "THIS IS OPINION ONLY" disclaimer....this is the true misinformation of the world....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

How do you know it wasn’t? Maybe you were too busy crowing about the massive reported offer to Bellamy to notice we didn’t get him or Bennett. We replaced Arthur with another untested rookie Storm assistant, no different to two of our last three head coaches.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
well let us play what if

what if MON's job is made easier and the Eels are now a more attractive prospect for any new signing because they think JR is a better option than BA ?
Our best signing for next year is Lomax, who thought Arthur would be coach. There’s no reason any player would be excited at playing under a rookie coach. It will be a long time before Ryles’ achievements match Arthur’s.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I assume your referring to Ryles here.

Well lets face it who are the board going to side with MON or Ryles next year if there is conflict somewhere in the relationship.

Oh yeah yeah were going to punt Ryles after 1 season is basically against everything you have written on here while we side with the HOF.

And its complete lunacy.

Its irrelevant whose achieved more in the game at whatever your angle your trying to play here.

I would argue Ryles achieved more by playing 15 tests and 8 origins.

MON never played rep footy or a final until 2005 where he was apart of the flukiest of premierships won this century.

But at the same time Frank Poniessi is the best HOF in the game what did he achieve.
Just having experience in your job is runs on the board. I think it’s good for a coach’s credibility to have played at a high level, but ultimately Ryles has achieved nothing as a coach. He is a risk, and will be relying on the likes of MON to provide him with the squad he needs to win games with.

Latest posts