What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Angry_eel

First Grade
You know I really hate Gus for a number of reasons, one of the main one being conflict of interest of a Head of Football in the media talking against other clubs.

However, he's proven a strategy which I think more clubs will copy over time which is Agile decisioning. Some stats man can correct me here but he's moved on more players and coaches in his time as HOF than many other HOFs in a decade.

Essentially, if it's not working with certain players, move them on and get new players. Contracts mean nothing to him and likely to the players at his clubs too.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And whose fault is that?? We have had an 11 year coach here, another job that wasn’t his??
The salary cap stops teams accumulating the players they want. Eleven years won’t change that. If more years at a club made anything easier, Wayne Bennett wouldn’t keep changing clubs every few years. And if it was a disadvantage, Bellamy and Stuart wouldn’t still be at their clubs.

Rocket man

Juniors
You know I really hate Gus for a number of reasons, one of the main one being conflict of interest of a Head of Football in the media talking against other clubs.

However, he's proven a strategy which I think more clubs will copy over time which is Agile decisioning. Some stats man can correct me here but he's moved on more players and coaches in his time as HOF than many other HOFs in a decade.

Essentially, if it's not working with certain players, move them on and get new players. Contracts mean nothing to him and likely to the players at his clubs too.
I don't know why the NRL allows any club to sign players who's contract then puts them over the cap.
They then need to off load unwanted players to make them cap compliant again.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Panthers only came good, after Gus left...and he hasn't been involved with a club winning a comp since 2002.....where he was a coaching director...

BA's record at the eels is as good if not better (missed finals 6 times, made finals 5 times, 3 top 4 finishes and a GF) then what Gus did at the Panthers (missed finals 5 times, finals 4 times, 1 top 4 finish)......

Zoso

Juniors
That season summed up the Part time team performances.

We turn up one week and couldn't be stuffed the following week,

We win in Melbourne then 2 weeks later lose to the Tigers at Home who were last and winless after 6 games.

We get flogged by the Cows in Darwin then 6 days later beat a full-strength Penrith side at Penrith who hadn't lost a game by Round 9.

Get humiliated by the Bulldogs at Homebush who were dead last in round 14 then we go and smash the brave Chooks a week later.

Like the evidence was there for all to see back then.

Something was clearly broken in the preparation to try and figure out the fluctuation of those type of Bi-Polar performances.

A premiership team is ruthless and we lacked it.
Yeah, something was clearly missing, in addition to roster deficiencies. Team harmony, preparation, attitude. As you said, we beat the premiers at home ffs!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That season summed up the Part time team performances.

We turn up one week and couldn't be stuffed the following week,

We win in Melbourne then 2 weeks later lose to the Tigers at Home who were last and winless after 6 games.

We get flogged by the Cows in Darwin then 6 days later beat a full-strength Penrith side at Penrith who hadn't lost a game by Round 9.

Get humiliated by the Bulldogs at Homebush who were dead last in round 14 then we go and smash the brave Chooks a week later.

Like the evidence was there for all to see back then.

Something was clearly broken in the preparation to try and figure out the fluctuation of those type of Bi-Polar performances.

A premiership team is ruthless and we lacked it.
Us making the GF was a fluke and set the club back 3 years minimum, also cost us millions paying out the bald fraud.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
BA's motto, pick the bad rejects from other clubs while Penrith pick the good rejects and make them stars. Yes Alamoti was brilliant and almost MOM imo.

You have to ask, is it the systems good clubs have in place, eg Panthers, Storm, that makes ordinary players better? Lets hope Ryles has some of that magic dust to sprinkle on our club.
It's the senior players who improve the players around them. Look at Papali'i when he came to our club and then look at his form at the Tigers.

King-Gutho94

Coach

I have no doubt there is a incentive somewhere when he moves on players.

No player has ever complained or called him out on it when they were contracted and left.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Picking a a young bloke would have meant he would have to teach him the game and up skill him.

And we lol know thats not the coaches job.
He picked Talagi this year who is younger than Alamoti. He also picked Penisini and Drown when they were younger than Alamoti. And these kids had never played first grade. Alamoti at least played 19 games last year at the Dogs. He's always been a beast in attack. He just can't tackle.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Panthers only came good, after Gus left...and he hasn't been involved with a club winning a comp since 2002.....where he was a coaching director...

BA's record at the eels is as good if not better (missed finals 6 times, made finals 5 times, 3 top 4 finishes and a GF) then what Gus did at the Panthers (missed finals 5 times, finals 4 times, 1 top 4 finish)......
Well Bulldogs look like they're coming good now. It can't be a fluke.

Zoso

Juniors
Us making the GF was a fluke and set the club back 3 years minimum, also cost us millions paying out the bald fraud.
I don’t think it was luck or over achievement. We made it because we deserved it, but we didn’t deserve to win. I think the club collectively and Probably the coach thought we could go again with just a little bit more effort. They were wrong.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This 'no accountability' seems obvious now when BA refused to drop under-performing players. Probably lead to juniors thinking they'll never make NRL as Brad seemed to have his favourites and played them regardless of their form. Doubt Ryles will be so lenient and is filling the obvious holes in the roster.
It's hard to drop them when their replacements also aren't performing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I reckon Gould's fingerprints are all over this Panthers squad. He deserves plenty of credit.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah, something was clearly missing, in addition to roster deficiencies. Team harmony, preparation, attitude. As you said, we beat the premiers at home ffs!
If you consider that we shat the bed against teams we were expected to beat, can you not see how teams like Penrith and Melbourne shat the bed against us? If you stop focusing on looking for a scapegoat and take an objective view, every team underperforms at times. That's how we beat superior opponents.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Without making that grand final we might not have gotten James Hardie on board. And Lomax might not have agreed to join the team. Making grand finals is a good thing, and very rare for our club. We have done it only three times since 1986 ffs.

JokerEel

Coach
I reckon Gould's fingerprints are all over this Panthers squad. He deserves plenty of credit.

Bugger all to do with Gould he just organized the resources to build the team to what it is today.

Reason why Gould got rid of Cleary the first time as he kept on trying to tell Ivan how to coach and Ivan ignored him.

Same will happen at the Dogs Ciraldo will get sick of Gould giving him notes on how to coach

Latest posts