What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Is there really any benefit for Gutho to leave? Obviously we don't know how he will go in the new role.

what would another club offer him, $700k over 3 years? So approx $2.1m / 3 years

Say he performs in his new role, what is he worth to us? $400k to $500k? Say it's the lower amount (worse case for him), that's $1.75k over 3 years ($950k + $800k).

So the difference is approx $350k over 3 years, not a huge amount. Also got to factor in, he probably can pick up some sponsorship being an eels player, plus the benefits of being a long term eels. Plus the travel from Manly to Parra rather then Wollongong is a shit load easier. Plus the eels role probably prolongs his career as easier on his body....

Really the only risk is injury early in the season without a contract for 2026. Or he fails in role, which is probably unlikely!

hindy111

Post Whore
Is there really any benefit for Gutho to leave? Obviously we don't know how he will go in the new role.

what would another club offer him, $700k over 3 years? So approx $2.1m / 3 years

Say he performs in his new role, what is he worth to us? $400k to $500k? Say it's the lower amount (worse case for him), that's $1.75k over 3 years ($950k + $800k).

So the difference is approx $350k over 3 years, not a huge amount. Also got to factor in, he probably can pick up some sponsorship being an eels player, plus the benefits of being a long term eels. Plus the travel from Manly to Parra rather then Wollongong is a shit load easier. Plus the eels role probably prolongs his career as easier on his body....

Really the only risk is injury early in the season without a contract for 2026. Or he fails in role, which is probably unlikely!

If we get 550k then yes. He isnt part of future

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
If we get 550k then yes. He isnt part of future
Are you referring to what we wouId get if he leaves now? If so obviously that's a benefit to us.

But also if Gutho goes well in the utility role, I think $400k-$500k per year over 2 years is a win for both sides. Gives us pretty good coverage, in the spine plus middle. I rate having a good utility.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Depends on the terms of the contract and the reasons for the release. Very few if at all any player gets released without being compensated.
Players don’t want to be out of pocket, and there is often an incentive for the club to offer a payout, due to the rest of the cap space cleared. But there is no rule that the payout MUST cover the difference in contracts. It’s just what the player prefers in any case where the new contract is less than the old one.

But players can also benefit from taking a pay cut, such as the case where an older player gains access to a contract extension that otherwise wouldn’t be offered.

Suitman

Post Whore
Cronulla is worse it's quicker for me to get to Gosford from the Hills then bloody Cronulla.

It takes me 35 minutes to get to Gosford from the Hills.
It's takes me an hour to get to the Shire, and I only go to that shithole because my sister lives there.
Even an Eastern suburb beach like Bronte is only 45 mins away.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Absolutely we can say that. But if the dragons say we will only offer you a contract for 26/27 on the basis of you coming to us in 25 and we’re willing to pay $600k and the eels have to chip in then it puts Gutho at loggerheads with the club, and do we want to be paying $900k next year for an unmotivated mopey bench utility ?
I don’t think the Dragons would dictate that we chip in. It’s none of their business what occurs between us and Gutherson. They might state they will pay no more than $600k (as per your example) and then it’s up to him how much of a payout he demands from Parramatta to let him go. But he will at least be aware he is on overs now that we’ve supposedly replaced him at fullback. He’ll also know we have an incentive to get him off the books, and we know it too.

Avenger

Immortal
It takes me 35 minutes to get to Gosford from the Hills.
It's takes me an hour to get to the Shire, and I only go to that shithole because my sister lives there.
Even an Eastern suburb beach like Bronte is only 45 mins away.
Why is it a shithole? Because it takes westies like you an hour to get here?

Latest posts