What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Chipmunk

Coach
Yes there might be some angst by some supporters of the club getting rid of club legends. Obviously Ryles has a vision going forward and identified that speed was lacking and getting rid of Gutho, and now Sivo also apparently, he hopes their replacement players will add that ingredient to the back line. However, if we promote players from within (Pou, do we have those players?) we lose that experience but 2025 might be a rebuilding year with real improvement expected in 2026. We're not privy to his vision going forward so in Ryles we trust but the little bit I've heard he'll be a tough task master. And the holiday we had under BA ends on 1st November. If you want success then hard work is the only way to get you there.
It's a high risk strategy from Ryles that I hope works. Realistically, the fan base and the media won't tolerate anything other than significant improvement in results in 2025, and then to be genuine contenders by 2026. Added to this that there is at least 2, but potentially 4 board members, including the Chairman who appointed Ryles, changing over time.

He'll need instant results or he'll struggle to make it half way through his 4 year deal.

Chipmunk

Coach
On MA it was a rookie mistake by Ryles to just release him. We should have made a player swap with Knights, taken one of their promising juniors to fill whatever hole we wanted to fill.
You could argue we should've done the same with RCG, and could do with Gutho.

Soto

Bench
You're just being nasty. f**king Serbs.
Is he being nasty because he's f*#king Serbs or because he's a f**king Serb?
Been a busy week for me, interstate with work so just jumping on 1st time this week.
It's quite therapeutic jumping on weekly instead of daily especially in the orf season.
Is BA back on our radar once we sack Ryles in 12yrs?

Incorrect

Coach
It's a high risk strategy from Ryles that I hope works. Realistically, the fan base and the media won't tolerate anything other than significant improvement in results in 2025, and then to be genuine contenders by 2026. Added to this that there is at least 2, but potentially 4 board members, including the Chairman who appointed Ryles, changing over time.

He'll need instant results or he'll struggle to make it half way through his 4 year deal.
If Gutho isn't around in 2025, on top of the loss of RCG, I think anything higher than 12th position next year is a positive. I'm not expecting massive improvements next year, I think he needs 2025 to wash away the stench that has developed around the joint. Moving on Gutho, RCG and maybe Sivo and then Lane for 2026 should free up a heap of space to bring in some genuine talent and new blood for a decent crack in 2026 and 2027. I think JR should get at least until the end of 2027. Unless we finish stone motherless in 2025, 2026 and are still there halfway through 2027 - then it'll be time to reassess....

Avenger

Immortal
If Gutho isn't around in 2025, on top of the loss of RCG, I think anything higher than 12th position next year is a positive. I'm not expecting massive improvements next year, I think he needs 2025 to wash away the stench that has developed around the joint. Moving on Gutho, RCG and maybe Sivo and then Lane for 2026 should free up a heap of space to bring in some genuine talent and new blood for a decent crack in 2026 and 2027. I think JR should get at least until the end of 2027. Unless we finish stone motherless in 2025, 2026 and are still there halfway through 2027 - then it'll be time to reassess....
After having over a decade with Captain Insipid I’m happy to give Ryles his full 4 year term. There will be improvement almost immediately, we came third last FFS.

Chipmunk

Coach
If Moses doesn't get injured we make the Top 8 this year, so I'm expecting nothing less than a Top 8 finish and a genuine contender by 2026.

I think what people miss is that the reality of all three coaches who were sacked this year, is that they all got done over because they didn't have key players on the field for long periods. There might have been other reasons why they were actually sacked in the end, but there on field results that put them in the window for them to be sacked were all primarily related to injuries to key players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Which of them would you re-sign?
And(or?) at what $value would you re-sign them?
That's a good question. As always, it would depend on information I don't have, but if I make a whole bunch of untestable assumptions I would go with:

Brown $1M
Hands $200k
Moretti $200k
Penisini $600k
Russell $200k
Tuilagi $350k
Tuivati $120k

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
However, if we promote players from within (Pou, do we have those players?)
Well the early bloomers from the 2023 SG Ball side have mostly gone but the rest of them are only 21 next year. Renisini is only 20 next year and he has bee retained. Alameddine is the same age and has already played reserve grade. His stats were good in both games, so he has NRL potential.

In the forwards we have retained Guymer, Tuivati and Pryke. Including the spine players we didn't need (or whose dad we sacked), I think that's pretty good development from a single SG Ball team.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors

It's no risk imo.....

Gutho is done...he is on a massive decline, best to get rid of him asap and start the rebuild now...same with RCG......great player but we got the best years out if him....now it's time to plan ahead....

The most mind boggling thing in all this, is why these guys are signed on such massive overs.....another thing ive mentioned ad nauseam and that continually baffles me is how Paulo is on around 950k per season..truly unbelievable stuff.

Chipmunk

Coach
It's no risk imo.....

Gutho is done...he is on a massive decline, best to get rid of him asap and start the rebuild now...same with RCG......great player but we got the best years out if him....now it's time to plan ahead....

The most mind boggling thing in all this, is why these guys are signed on such massive overs.....another thing ive mentioned ad nauseam and that continually baffles me is how Paulo is on around 950k per season..truly unbelievable stuff.
There a lots of risks in the strategy.

The largest being replacing a high quality player with over 200 NRL games, the Captain and a club favourite, with a bloke who's played one NRL game.

It seems to be a throwing the baby out with the bathwater strategy at present.

It's all high risk. I think everyone hopes it works out.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
There a lots of risks in the strategy.

The largest being replacing a high quality player with over 200 NRL games with a bloke who's played one NRL game.

It seems to be a throwing the baby out with the bathwater strategy at present.

It's all high risk. I think everyone hopes it works out.
I reckon its time to start now.

Cut the cord....

Ryles is doing exactly what I hoped.

It might backfire and we become the Tigers, but I honestly think we were
currently on track to become the Tigers anyhow

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
I reckon its time to start now.

Cut the cord....

Ryles is doing exactly what I hoped.

It might backfire and we become the Tigers, but I honestly think we are currently on track to become the Tigers anyhow
I don't have an issue if it works, but I'd also expect him to be sacked if we win the Wooden Spoon in 2025.

Delboy

First Grade
I don't have an issue if it works, but I'd also expect him to be sacked if we win the Wooden Spoon in 2025.
Are you posting just to get a reaction, basically there’s a change in the club and it will need time to mature.

Ciraldo, even the Sharks coach would be gone under your rationale. There needs to be time to reset the club after 11 years, maybe even move on the underperforming GM and list manager ( whatever that means). With a decent cap position for 2026 we should see changes which include some maturing younger players from the winning junior rep teams. Not all doom and gloom.

Chipmunk

Coach
Are you posting just to get a reaction, basically there’s a change in the club and it will need time to mature.

Ciraldo, even the Sharks coach would be gone under your rationale. There needs to be time to reset the club after 11 years, maybe even move on the underperforming GM and list manager ( whatever that means). With a decent cap position for 2026 we should see changes which include some maturing younger players from the winning junior rep teams. Not all doom and gloom.
If they're let go and replaced with suitable replacements for 2025, and we make the Top 8, then I think that is what everyone hopes. But a Wooden Spoon in 2025 is in no way shape or form acceptable. We're not the third worst team in the comp...we ran third last because our most influential player played the first three games of the season and then had two long term injuries. We're a genuine Top 8 team who should always make the Top 8. Anytime we don't do that, then someone has to be made accountable for that result. At a minimum I'm expecting our squad of 17 NRL standard players to be increased to at least 22 in 2025 to accommodate injuries. Otherwise, we won't improve. Questions must be asked if we don't make the Top 8 in 2025.

Had the Sharks run last in their first season under Fitzy from where they came from then that I would've supported. But they didn't, they made the Top 4. The Dogs were coming from a different place than we are. Also, neither went backwards after changing the coach.

King-Gutho94

Coach
If Moses doesn't get injured we make the Top 8 this year, so I'm expecting nothing less than a Top 8 finish and a genuine contender by 2026.

I think what people miss is that the reality of all three coaches who were sacked this year, is that they all got done over because they didn't have key players on the field for long periods. There might have been other reasons why they were actually sacked in the end, but there on field results that put them in the window for them to be sacked were all primarily related to injuries to key players.
If Moses doesn't get injured are we still stuck with BA.

Everything happens for a reason.

The BA era needed to end it was time.

We also learnt a bit more about Dylan Brown as well. He wasnt horrible and he is a elite 2IC to Moses.

But expecting him to run the show well that question has been answered and its a firm no.

It's probably helped us as it may turn a few clubs away thinking they could get him to be there Jarome Luai.