What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
@hineyrulz

Has already done 2 threads on BA's greatest hits and misses

It should have been nominated for the 2023 LU thread awards

hindy111

Post Whore
I think @hindy111 was only listing the BA signings he thought were shit.
If you're looking for the first good one, you need to also consider he signed the following while here:
  1. Danny Wicks (2015)
  2. Clint Gutherson (2016)
  3. Nathan Brown (2017)
  4. Mitchell Moses (2017)
  5. Maika Sivo (2019)
  6. Blake Ferguson (2019)
  7. Reagan Campbell-Gillard (2020)

Yes I mentioned them. But on that list who really was a great signing. I'll add Beau Scott but like Ferguson he was great in his first season. Ok in 2nd and horrible in his 3rd. Good signings? Meh I can't say that good. Ferguson was earning 500k to play back up in his 3rd year.
RCG was an origin rep so it isn't like he made him a star. He just regained form after a broken jaw.

Moses agree great signing along with Gutherson, Sivo and N.Brown, Hopgood.
Overall he made about 5 or 6 good signings. But his strike rate overall was horrible.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
@hineyrulz

Has already done 2 threads on BA's greatest hits and misses

It should have been nominated for the 2023 LU thread awards

I like the look of those threads!!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hate to tell you, but Alamoti ain’t no backup fella. Penrith just saw something in him no one else did.
According to you, Gould paid him $500k. If true, that implies high demand from NRL clubs. Hardly Penrith being the only ones to see something in him. He’s always been a player who runs the ball well. Every club knows it. But his defence is poor. Penrith are best placed to hide him, which is why they signed Blaize Talagi. I’m keen to see if Penrith re-sign Alamoti and stand him and Talagi alongside each other in the defensive line.
Now he is a Premiership winner.
So are Momirovski and Staines. Plenty of teams have cheap outside backs. It allows them to spend more on more important positions.

Legal Eel

Juniors
O
If we were never winning anything under Arthur's it was for the same reason we've won nothing for the previous 27 years. Arthur's is a solid coach.
How depressed will you be if parra win a comp under Ryles and your endless defence of cousin Brad is undermined?

Luckily for you, it any not happen next year so you have at least a year of beautiful, blissful raw dog trolling ahead of you!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Alamoti was in the top 6 players grand final day.
Was he? He made the fewest runs, metres and PCM of all of Penrith's backs. Tackled at 80% efficiency. You're a worse judge than the Clive Churchill selectors.

He's just lucky Melbourne went to their left side. And that Penrith's edges get so much help from their middle defenders.
His defense is already better then Talagi. Both at age 19 I reckon neither has peaked. I assume both will continue to get better in defense and attack.
They will. But they are also going to be on a lot more money next year.
Harper was a journeymen that 16 other clubs had no interest in.
That's why he cost f**k all.
He had not upside and in the end a Ron Massey cup player leapfrogged him.
That's why we kept Tago and not Harper.

hindy111

Post Whore
Was he? He made the fewest runs, metres and PCM of all of Penrith's backs. Tackled at 80% efficiency. You're a worse judge than the Clive Churchill selectors.

He's just lucky Melbourne went to their left side. And that Penrith's edges get so much help from their middle defenders.

They will. But they are also going to be on a lot more money next year.

That's why he cost f**k all.

That's why we kept Tago and not Harper.

It is about moments not stats.
Like Martin he come up big in key moments. Some important tackles, some excellent catches.

A try assist when up by 30 goes down as the same stat as a Try assist to win a game. But one is more important. It's called clutch.

What seperates Nathan from the rest is moments. Moses is as skillful and as good a defender with a better running game but he isn't clutch. He doesn't do it when it's most needed while Nathan seems to go up a gear.

Plenty of props can make 130mtrs a game. But 2 or 3 powerfull runs at the right time will.mean much more. Think To'o run before the Martin try where he ran for 20mtrs. That run set up two more good runs which allowed space for Martin's try.
As a stat it just goes down as 20mtrs gained.

I can educate you in footy. You come across as a novice tbh

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Some of BAs signings

Beau Champion
B. Farimo
J.Falou
R.Robinson.
A.Watmough
Foran
C.Nelson
R.Obrien
Matagi
K.Evans
Vave
Aauvua
F.Pritchard
C.King
G.Jennings
Salmon
Lane
W.Blake
J.Field
Hipgrave
Davey
Grieg
Lussick x 2
Roache
Oldfield
Perham
Laizou
Rein
Ogden
Doorey
Moimesea
J.Hodgson
Murchie
Harper
You get the players you can. It's not like we were fitting a squad full of stars under the cap for all the years before Arthur's joined the club. Even going back to Brian Smith we signed plenty of plodders. Look at this squad: https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-2004/parramatta/summary.html

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He was one of your best in the GF, probably second after Martin.
The grand final wasn't won on big plays, it was won by 80 minutes of hard work in attack and defence. That means Penrith's wingers and fullback making 60+ carries with the ball, and all of Penrith's middle forwards toiling away without it. Martin and Alamoti were there to take advantage of a couple of rare defensive errors by the Storm. Errors caused by the hard work that came before it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes I mentioned them. But on that list who really was a great signing. I'll add Beau Scott but like Ferguson he was great in his first season. Ok in 2nd and horrible in his 3rd. Good signings? Meh I can't say that good. Ferguson was earning 500k to play back up in his 3rd year.
RCG was an origin rep so it isn't like he made him a star. He just regained form after a broken jaw.

Moses agree great signing along with Gutherson, Sivo and N.Brown, Hopgood.
Overall he made about 5 or 6 good signings. But his strike rate overall was horrible.
Yeah unlike all the great signings our club made since 1986. Remember when we brought in Cronk and Tedesco and won two premierships? Good times.

Latest posts