What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
O

How depressed will you be if parra win a comp under Ryles and your endless defence of cousin Brad is undermined?

Luckily for you, it any not happen next year so you have at least a year of beautiful, blissful raw dog trolling ahead of you!
I'll be stoked if we win the comp. But unless we are consistent minor premiership contenders, any grand final win will be lucky. Like the Tigers in 2005. Any of our previous grand final losing coaches (Smith, Anderson, Arthur) could have achieved that one extra win, if they had more luck. Hopefully Ryles gets that luck, or even better, the club gets stronger and we challenge for minor premierships, with points differential of +200 or more.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It is about moments not stats.
Like Martin he come up big in key moments. Some important tackles, some excellent catches.
It's just because he's an edge player.
A try assist when up by 30 goes down as the same stat as a Try assist to win a game. But one is more important. It's called clutch.
It just means he's in a strong defensive side. The same try assist when you're behind by 30 means nothing because the game is already away from you. When the game is close teams still break tackles and score tries. But it feels like it has more meaning because the score was close. But it's still attackers running the ball and defenders trying to stop them. It's just that humans are inclined to build a narrative around it, to help us draw lessons from it. But we are mostly wrong with these narratives, and in 2024 we don't need to be wrong. We have the technology to generate and analyse data, to gain a proper understanding of what is going on.
What seperates Nathan from the rest is moments. Moses is as skillful and as good a defender with a better running game but he isn't clutch. He doesn't do it when it's most needed while Nathan seems to go up a gear.
Nathan Cleary runs the ball 20+ times a game. Making more runs, and with the scores close, means he will have a much higher proportion of runs where he creates a try in a close game. Moses plays for a team that is always behind on the scoreboard, and he only runs the ball a dozen times at most.
Plenty of props can make 130mtrs a game. But 2 or 3 powerfull runs at the right time will.mean much more. Think To'o run before the Martin try where he ran for 20mtrs. That run set up two more good runs which allowed space for Martin's try.
As a stat it just goes down as 20mtrs gained.
To'o made 213m, and contributed much more than Martin or Alamoti. But some merkins think Martin and Alamoti were Penrith's best in the grand final. It's obscene how little credit To'o (and Edwards and Turuva) get.
I can educate you in footy. You come across as a novice tbh
See above

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
It's just because he's an edge player.

It just means he's in a strong defensive side. The same try assist when you're behind by 30 means nothing because the game is already away from you. When the game is close teams still break tackles and score tries. But it feels like it has more meaning because the score was close. But it's still attackers running the ball and defenders trying to stop them. It's just that humans are inclined to build a narrative around it, to help us draw lessons from it. But we are mostly wrong with these narratives, and in 2024 we don't need to be wrong. We have the technology to generate and analyse data, to gain a proper understanding of what is going on.

What seperates Nathan from the rest is moments. Moses is as skillful and as good a defender with a better running game but he isn't clutch. He doesn't do it when it's most needed while Nathan seems to go up a gear.
Nathan Cleary runs the ball 20+ times a game. Making more runs, and with the scores close, means he will have a much higher proportion of runs where he creates a try in a close game. Moses plays for a team that is always behind on the scoreboard, and he only runs the ball a dozen times at most.

To'o made 213, and contributed much more than Martin or Alamoti. But some merkins think Martin and Alamoti were Penrith's best in the grand final. It's obscene how little credit To'o (and Edwards and Turuva) get.

See above
[/QUOTE]

Wow
Lucky we have a long off season. I will start the education soon.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So 90% lemon rate....BA was rubbish
Move on
The bottom of every roster is full of lemons. The Roosters have ZDC on their books ffs. Clubs sign lemons because the salary cap gives them no choice. The quicker you get rid of lemons the sooner you have to bring more in. You laugh about Lumelume but he only played two games for us, and was never in the top 30. But Bellamy picked him six times, including in a finals match. Every club has to deal with lemons. Look at some of the garbage Cleary signed throughout his career.

Soto

Bench
Here is my assessment of all coaches i have seen coach Parramatta.

All different in there own way and have different reasons why we didnt win a comp.

Brian Smith - Great tactical mind, defense orientated, got more out of the side then most. Though never mastered the big games and had the team on edge with mind games texting players and so forth when the stakes were raised. Giving the team an uneasy nervous energy which contributed to some horrific losses come finals time.

Jason Taylor - Came in and did a good job as caretaker coach hard to assess but unleashed Jarryd Hayne from game 1 and took us from 14th to 8th in the space of 10 weeks. Who knows how things turn out if he got the job instead of Hagan.

Michael Hagan - Made a prelim final with a bunch of hard core senior players but 2008 was a downright debacle and waste of year. Should never been signed and has Andrew Johns to thank for being known as a premiership coach. His depressing press conferences actually make BA's not sound as bad.

Daniel Anderson - A rough start but took a smart coach to take a back seat and let his ego out of the way and let the team just go with the flow with momentum in 2009 and it almost won us a comp. His rope-a-dope against Wayne Bennett in 2009 is one of the best coaching performances i have seen from a Parramatta coach.

Brutally unlucky had his job undermined a year later & was a dead man walking for half the season if he got 11 years i imagine we would have won a comp. What Spags did to DA was downright disgraceful and set us down a path that set us back a decade.

Stephen Kearney - One of the worst appointments this club has ever made a downright and utter failure that led us to winning B2B wooden spoons and the worst period this club has had since the 1970s. Signing a retirement home in 2011 and thinking we could play like a robotic Melbourne Storm with a spine of Matt Keating, Robson/Mortimer, McGuire & Hayne was downright stupidity.

Ricky Stuart - Never was the right fit for this place and it was obvious very quickly. Cleaned up some of the mess so BA had a clean slate in 2014. But backdoored it after 12 months when it became too hard. Thanks for 12 glorious months & our 13th Wooden Spoon Ricky.

Brad Arthur - Was fortunate to come in at a time where that had been so much instability from coaching to administration in the joint that BA benefitted from the need for the club to just become stable as a club as unify behind one coach after churning through 6 in 7 years. Lucky to survive in 2018.

Got us to the finals numerous times but like Brian Smith fell short and 2022 was a carbon copy of 2001 GF day where the players weren't mentally ready to play in a GF.

Was here too long cord should have been cut a fair while back.

Trent Barrett - Bazball like game plan all out attack with no defence. Had a shitfight with availability at backend of the year but kept us competitive. Will never be a head coach again but Baz can hold his head up high for the role he played this year in avoiding the spoon and the cards he got dealt as a caretaker coach.
I've got nothing to add but applaud this post...spot on

Soto

Bench
Some of BAs signings

Beau Champion
B. Farimo
J.Falou
R.Robinson.
A.Watmough
Foran
C.Nelson
R.Obrien
Matagi
K.Evans
Vave
Aauvua
F.Pritchard
C.King
G.Jennings
Salmon
Lane
W.Blake
J.Field
Hipgrave
Davey
Grieg
Lussick x 2
Roache
Oldfield
Perham
Laizou
Rein
Ogden
Doorey
Moimesea
J.Hodgson
Murchie
Harper
Let's not be too harsh. There are some pretty handy players in that list..
The one real problem is how many of these blokes were injury prone or already busted. In BA they met their Alan Bond...the oldies will get it

Parra Pride

Referee
3 times in 4 years they were over the cap we played them in the finals

How unlucky can 1 team get.

I would also argue those 3 losses there was some dodgy 50/50 call that didn't go our way in those finals that were the difference in a tight game.
It's more than just losing to them three times, they were our only losses in the finals in those years. Sure, one was first round but the other two were a GF qualifier and the GF itself.

Stormy36

Juniors
The grand final wasn't won on big plays, it was won by 80 minutes of hard work in attack and defence. That means Penrith's wingers and fullback making 60+ carries with the ball, and all of Penrith's middle forwards toiling away without it. Martin and Alamoti were there to take advantage of a couple of rare defensive errors by the Storm. Errors caused by the hard work that came before it.
Spot on... And best on field that night was Yeo like it is nearly everytime with Penrith. How Martin won the Clive Churchill over him is laughable

Parra Pride

Referee
Spot on... And best on field that night was Yeo like it is nearly everytime with Penrith. How Martin won the Clive Churchill over him is laughable
The people choosing that award only care about the highlight plays. Martin scored the try that got Penrith the lead, and was pivotal in the third try. I doubt we will ever seen anyone as ripped off as Michael Morgan was, basically carried the Cows over the line but Thurston kicks the field goal and that’s all it took despite being a passenger the rest of the game. Hell he even choked the winning conversion and just got lucky Hunt spilled his lollies.

gaffer

Juniors
Revealed: Former Eels boss helping bid to oust Parramatta directors

Former Parramatta Eels supremo Roy Spagnolo has been revealed as helping a bid to oust more than half the board of Parramatta Leagues Club, attempting to rally support from well-known friends and associates and figures from the club’s past.
Parramatta Leagues Club’s 65,000 members have been notified of an extraordinary general meeting that’s been set for November 19 after a challenge was mounted to the hierarchy of the $150 million gaming, entertainment and food venue.

A group called Make Parra Matter Again is aiming to depose four of the club’s seven directors after assembling the 200 signatures required to trigger an EGM.
Its frontman has been former pizza cafe owner Michael Barillaro, but an email seen by this masthead shows that Spagnolo, the property developer who controlled the club between 2009 and 2013, has been involved in the background.
Spagnolo, who was declared by the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority in 2015 not to be a fit and proper person to govern a registered club, appealed for support for the proposal in a note to more than 80 allies this month.
In the October 1 correspondence, Spagnolo asks them to sign a statement supporting the resolution to remove the four directors “as a matter of urgency”.
Among the recipients was Eddie Obeid jnr, the son of the jailed former Labor powerbroker from whom Eels players allegedly received off-the-books payments before the club was stripped of 12 competition points and fined $750,000 in 2016 for salary cap cheating.
Also emailed were former Eels clothing supplier Leba Zibara, who the NRL found was connected to undisclosed player payments, as well as corrupt ex-NSW minister Joe Tripodi.
Others on Spagnolo’s send list included Eels winger Eric Grothe snr and Mario Libertini, who served on Spagnolo’s Parramatta board and were also found unfit to be directors by ILGA, as well as former Soccer Australia president Tony Labbozzetta and former Club Marconi and Cronulla Sharks CEO Tony Zappia (who have not been previously involved at the club).
Spagnolo said on Monday he hadn’t initiated the move to topple directors at Parramatta but had put his weight behind it.

I’m just helping. I just emailed my friends – they’re members of Parramatta, that’s all.”
“It’s not personal against anyone. I believe in change and I believe we need a voice for the members.”
The power play comes after Spagnolo unsuccessfully ran for a return to the Parramatta Leagues Club board in February, having successfully taken to the Supreme Court to fend off attempts by the club to disqualify him.
Spagnolo was free to contest the election despite ILGA having concluded nine years ago that he had not demonstrated the skills and knowledge expected of a director, finding he had not followed the correct process in claiming expenses for parties at his house and that he had authorised an unlawful bonus to the club’s chief executive.
ILGA, however, had determined after an investigation that there was insufficient evidence to tie him to an alleged membership tampering scheme in 2013 in which the records of family and friends of his were backdated three years to make them eligible to vote.
It found that his honesty should not be questioned and recommended no further action, leaving Spagnolo to bemoan that being declared not fit and proper for what he called technical breaches was akin to a driver losing their licence for “doing 60 in a 62 zone”.
The Spagnolo-backed group would need to secure 50 per cent of the vote plus one at the EGM to achieve its desire to spill more than half the board. A total of 2749 members voted at this year’s election.
He said he was undecided if he would contest one of the vacant seats himself in that scenario. But if he and others were then able to win those positions themselves, seizing control of Parramatta Leagues Club, they would not automatically obtain the keys to the NRL club as well due to governance changes introduced after the Eels’ salary cap affair.
Unlike in the past, when there was one all-powerful board, the Parramatta NRL club board is a separate body, featuring only two directors from Parramatta Leagues Club and five independents.
Spagnolo would like to see the club constitution reformed so that Parramatta Leagues Club provides a majority of four directors to the football club board.
Eels chairman Sean McElduff warned of the risk of in-fighting at the club.
“Most of you know our troubled history, but for those who don’t here is a brief snapshot: in 2016 an administrator was appointed by the NSW government to oversee the club after six dark years of scandal and factionalism that almost brought the Eels to its knees,” he said in a message to members last week.
“Since then, the management teams and boards of [Parramatta Leagues Club] and [Parramatta NRL club] have worked incredibly hard to move the clubs forward and ensure we don’t return to those damaging days.
“Unfortunately, this EGM proposal, driven by many associated with the factionalism of the past, threatens to do just that.”
Spagnolo said the group wanted to be inclusive, not divisive, and offered a reminder that the Eels had in 2009 reached the grand final, where they were beaten by a team, Melbourne Storm, that was later stripped of the title for breaking salary cap rules.
“[McElduff] wants to talk about the dark ages. We finished [third] last this year. What’s any different?” he said.
“What is factionalism? Factionalism is two different parties, with two different views, having a crack at elections. Anyone that dares put their hand up is a faction.
“I don’t see myself as a faction. I see myself as passionate for the club and wanting good for the club. I had nothing to do with the salary cap [scandal]. That happened after me. I don’t see that I did a bad job.”

Chris Barrett
October 15, 2024
sounds like a mafia takeover

Incorrect

Coach
Cobbo to the cowboys is gaining strong legs on social media.

I am going to assume he isn't keen on training under Madge given his past history of pulling out of matches for feeling a bit tired.
Yeah I can't imagine Maguire putting up with that sort of stuff... Talented player and an ideal replacement for Holmes if Payten can keep his head screwed on properly

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
Cobbo to the cowboys is gaining strong legs on social media.

I am going to assume he isn't keen on training under Madge given his past history of pulling out of matches for feeling a bit tired.
He probably suits the Cowboys where it’s a touch less scrutiny than at Brisbane where he’s constantly in the press. He’d be a good pick up for the Cows.

Latest posts