What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hineyrulz

Post Whore
elmo awww GIF

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
To learn you must be open minded to the opinions of others.
So I am giving you a fail.
To teach you need to understand what you’re talking about. Claiming that Alamoti was better than Harper (this year only) is the least of the facts required to compare the signings.

For starters, neither was top 17 until May was arseholed. Then Alamoti was next man up. Harper only got a run when Sivo and then Simonsson were out, and he finished the year behind Talagi and Tago, who both stepped up. We chose to retain Tago instead of Harper. In any case, none of these merkins are top 17. Next year Russell isn’t top 17 either unless Simonsson is ruined by the knee injury. But Dunster’s contract is the elephant in the room. He’s probably on as much as Alamoti (and Russell) which is too much for your sixth (or lower) outside back.

We will continue your education next time you say something stupid on this topic.

The Colonel

Immortal
Does anyone else think Ryles has someone big for 25 if Gutho leaves? I’m all for doing the right thing by Gutho, and love Ryles not panicking to re offer him anything until we see where the chips fall early 25 but you can only front load contracts so much, so there doesn’t seem much point unless he is confident he can back fill and backfill well.

I reckon young Ryles is like a duck on water…

It sort of feels like that however I would hope that he isn't just banking on the possibility of Gutherson leaving to bring someone in. That could fall apart if he decides he isn't going....

hindy111

Post Whore
To teach you need to understand what you’re talking about. Claiming that Alamoti was better than Harper (this year only) is the least of the facts required to compare the signings.

For starters, neither was top 17 until May was arseholed. Then Alamoti was next man up. Harper only got a run when Sivo and then Simonsson were out, and he finished the year behind Talagi and Tago, who both stepped up. We chose to retain Tago instead of Harper. In any case, none of these merkins are top 17. Next year Russell isn’t top 17 either unless Simonsson is ruined by the knee injury. But Dunster’s contract is the elephant in the room. He’s probably on as much as Alamoti (and Russell) which is too much for your sixth (or lower) outside back.

We will continue your education next time you say something stupid on this topic.

You're crazy.
I'm going to the gym

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How did that work out for Parra?
I don’t think Alamoti would’ve worked out any better. Did you say he’s a premiership winner? Do you think Staines would’ve improve our position on the ladder? Should Canterbury have kept Alamoti instead of signing Crichton or Xerri? He’s not a difference maker. His defence has been poor all year, including in the grand final.

Black Panther

Juniors
I don’t think Alamoti would’ve worked out any better. Did you say he’s a premiership winner? Do you think Staines would’ve improve our position on the ladder? Should Canterbury have kept Alamoti instead of signing Crichton or Xerri? He’s not a difference maker. His defence has been poor all year, including in the grand final.
More talking about Parra needed defenders rather than attackers. And yes he did prove to be a difference maker in the GF with some golden moments.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
How about I summarise for all you f**kers so we can move on with our lives.

- Alamoti was ordinary in an ordinary Bulldogs side so they rissoled him
- Most teams agreed except for the Panthers who in all likelihood bought him as a backup to May. I suspect they knew he might come in handy when the shit hit the fan
- They probably got him cheaper than @Pou reckons but not as cheap as but not minimum and certainly more than Harper was costing us.
- The Panthers could cover for his poor defence - we wouldn't have been able to. He looks great in that good system. Well done Panthers for covering his deficiencies and polishing his strengths.
- He wouldn't have made us better - he probably would have wrecked his short term career by signing with us even if we wanted him.

Avenger

Immortal

- Most teams agreed except for the Panthers who in all likelihood bought him as a backup to May. I suspect they knew he might come in handy when the shit hit the fan
- They probably got him cheaper than @Pou reckons but not as cheap as but not minimum and certainly more than Harper was costing us.
- The Panthers could cover for his poor defence - we wouldn't have been able to. He looks great in that good system. Well done Panthers for covering his deficiencies and polishing his strengths.
- He wouldn't have made us better - he probably would have wrecked his short term career by signing with us even if we wanted him.
What are you some kind of wizard ? It’s just like your opinion, man.

TheCrowe

Juniors
Does anyone else think Ryles has someone big for 25 if Gutho leaves? I’m all for doing the right thing by Gutho, and love Ryles not panicking to re offer him anything until we see where the chips fall early 25 but you can only front load contracts so much, so there doesn’t seem much point unless he is confident he can back fill and backfill well.

I reckon young Ryles is like a duck on water…
Waiting to be shot? :p

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
More talking about Parra needed defenders rather than attackers.
Do you disagree? We had the eighth best attack and the sixteenth best defence this year. How would Alamoti have helped us?
And yes he did prove to be a difference maker in the GF with some golden moments.
With a fairly pedestrian attack (6th best) Penrith needed attacking moments from Alamoti. And with the best defence they were able to cover his defensive flaws. He was a good fit for the Panthers, but he would’ve been a poor fit for us.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Agree with all points, except that they didn’t get him cheaper than I reckon they got him for. I think $250k sounds accurate.

Latest posts