What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
I think it's up tot he NRL to prove that they didn't arrange it.
The club may provide some proof initially, but who's to say that it's actually legit.

Definitely a can of worms. There needs to be a salary cap in place, but not really sure on how best to enforce it.
I'm on the side of making player contracts public. At least then we have an idea of how much each player is earning (under the cap).
It frustrates me because it’s in everyone’s interest (except those who are receiving an illegal TPA but don’t actually deserve a TPA).
I conceived one years ago where you have:
1. the basic salary cap with payments from club to player, almost identical to current form.

2. legit TPAs that player/club/sponsor prove to NRL are legit. The main intention here is for your big, national TV ones (Chinry Gatorade or whatever it was) but with those there’s assumptions they follow player regardless of team and that there is a certain degree of league constructed TPA I.e. without the performance of the NRL at large, the player wouldn’t have received individual recognition, so with that the value of the TPA is lodged and all the other clubs receive a credit on the next cap to a split amount equal to the TPA I.e. if Chinry’s TPA was $16, the other clubs get $1 credit each.

3. the illegitimate TPA cap is where it starts to fall apart because it’s almost an all-in for a club the second you step into it. I had it based around if you’re into this cap level then you have restrictions on dealing with contracts (similar to NBA) where you can resign players alright but you can’t sign external players without first shedding commensurate base salary plus the value of the illegitimate TPAs (which is where it can fall down).

oldmancraigy

Coach
I believe you were asking if an Eels board member's company could provide a TPA to a player, is that right?
I don't think that would take much investigation to prove that it's not 'at arm's length'.

I don't think I asked that question at all.

I offered an observation on the way arms length requirements are *possibly* circumvented (in many areas).

oldmancraigy

Coach
I think it's up tot he NRL to prove that they didn't arrange it.
The club may provide some proof initially, but who's to say that it's actually legit.

Definitely a can of worms. There needs to be a salary cap in place, but not really sure on how best to enforce it.
I'm on the side of making player contracts public. At least then we have an idea of how much each player is earning (under the cap).

Why would the club have to offer proof if they aren't organising it?

Maybe the answer is to raise the cap, and (as you say!!) make contracts more transparent to the public (ie, leak the $ values), and scrap TPAs, just make the club arrange sponsorships to offset the salary. Yes, on one hand it gives a competitive advantage to those who can find sponsors, but on the other hand clubs who can't find the TPAs can spend the same (if they can afford it).

Make it complex, but tell the fans - and introduce trades and a draft!!

None of this will ever happen....

Latest posts