What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Whingers and Occasional Optimism XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanbase

Juniors
Matterson may debut today for the roosters. Will it be one that got away or will it be that was a smart choice.

I always found this a strange move. Id much of rathered we gave him another year in Wenty and let Kelly go.

one of many that got away. our recruitment team over the years know as much as some supporters on here :roll:

Fanbase

Juniors
Morgan has the easiest job of any other half in the game. He does what he does well but he isn't asked to do much. I think he's probably a bit overrated.

Anyway I think fullback is more important than the number two half at a club.

morgan was awesome when he played fullback too. thurston didnt have much to do with that :roll:

The Colonel

Immortal
Matterson may debut today for the roosters. Will it be one that got away or will it be that was a smart choice.

I always found this a strange move. Id much of rathered we gave him another year in Wenty and let Kelly go.

Kicking game is ordinary. Just threw a great pass for a try for Fai Fai Loa. Other than that it's not been a happy debut.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bahahahaha parramatta did not sign players back then they relied on their juniors thinking they would have the same success as they did in the 80's.
learn your history pau before you go making statements as if they are fact. you know half as much as you think you know and half of that is wrong too. love it :lol:
I suppose the 30 years means little to you as you have only been learning about rugby league for the past three years yeah?

I've been watching every game since about 1990 mate. I know our recent history. I remember buying sprees prior to the '96, '05 and '16 seasons.

But don't confuse 'relying on our juniors' with modern junior development. The latter has a heavy focus on poaching junior talent from outside the district. Only Smith (bringing in Cleal) and Kearney (who signed Nolan) cared about the latter.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What percentage of players perform better or the same at a new club than they did at Melbourne?

You could say the same about players from any strong club. They always look better surrounded by other good players.

So in a team full of players who are 7-out-of-10 for quality, I reckon a few of them will look like they are 9/10.

Then when these players go to a club where most of the top 17 are only average (4-6 out of 10) there is more pressure on them, and less opportunity, and it becomes clear they're not as good as they looked in the team full of quality.

You see it all the time at clubs that lose a few top 17 players to injury or just cap pressure. The 'stars' who remain (e.g. DCE at Manly, or anyone currently at the Roosters) look like they've lost ability. The fact is they've been shown to be less awesome than they seemed.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
one of many that got away. our recruitment team over the years know as much as some supporters on here :roll:

Once we signed Foran we no longer needed Matterson under our cap (and I'm sure he didn't want to hang around as a backup). Why not let him go where there's an opportunity and where another club will pay all or most of his salary?

phantom eel

First Grade
But don't confuse 'relying on our juniors' with modern junior development. The latter has a heavy focus on poaching junior talent from outside the district. Only Smith (bringing in Cleal) and Kearney (who signed Nolan) cared about the latter.
Do we actually know whether it was the coach of the day that signed these juniro development officers, or could it have been the Boards/admin at the time? Why do we give sole credit for this to the first grade coach?

I mean, Chris Anderson was signed as an assistant while Kearney was coach, but it wasn't Kearney who did the signing. (In fact, that signing appeared to be against Kearney's wishes, and appeared to only happen because the useless plonker failed to admit how out of his depth he was.)

phantom eel

First Grade
Coote's statying at the cowboys. Read a snippet in a post-match article somewhere... not interested in leaving JT etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.