What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Whingers and Occasional Optimism XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Weird, I thought it was Casper.........

You have done it now, expect a whole page of weird pictures by tomorrow. Thanks!!

weirdest-photos-ever-g1.gif

yy_cheng

Coach
So it looks like its

Foran and Kelly next year

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...d/news-story/66618e9056e9c5cdac740d35239a65ec

Salary cap woes put Corey Norman’s contract talks with parramatta on hold
March 22, 2016 2:05pm
Paul CrawleyThe Daily Telegraph
Subscriber Exclusive Icon

Play
0:00
/
Fullscreen
Mute
'Eels not dreaming top 4 yet'

The salary cap squeeze at Parramatta has put the future of star playmaker Corey Norman on hold.

And the chances of the club keeping him could eventually hinge on Anthony Watmough’s desire to play on.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that despite Norman’s super start to the season, so far the Eels haven’t made it to first base in negotiations with the star five eighth’s management to lock Norman up for next year and beyond.

Parramatta have not progressed contract players with Norman, despite the player’s desire.
It’s a stark contrast to the urgency the Eels showed when chasing after Kieran Foran when he was off contract at Manly.

Foran was first linked to the Eels way back in November 2014, and by this time last March Foran’s four-year deal worth a reported $1.2 million a season had been officially confirmed.

At the time Eels chairman Steve Sharp said the signing was “a great endorsement for the club’s positive transformation over the last two years.”

Must Read
af54bd84-ef38-11e5-aed8-7c833cc31e8c - Thumbnail (100x75)
Kent: Semi call would totally change Origin

10b20a8a-ef2c-11e5-89de-39db5c636927 - Thumbnail (100x75)
Munster backs up after Gavet tackle

811f2cc2-ef1c-11e5-aed8-7c833cc31e8c - Thumbnail (100x75)
Dugan hits back at Twitter outrage

9c484830-efd5-11e5-a785-7659dfea0c8f - Thumbnail (100x75)
Could Cowboys lose key player?

41613880-ef28-11e5-aed8-7c833cc31e8c - Thumbnail (100x75)
Don’t give up on Roberts: Pearl plea

But in Norman’s case it is more a ‘let’s wait and see’ approach with no offer even tabled at this point.

While Parramatta’s management currently have their hands full over the NRL’s investigation into allegations of questionable third-party deals, there is no question coach Brad Arthur wants to keep Norman at the club — and Norman himself has previously indicated his desire to stay.

After being named player of the tournament at the Auckland Nines, Norman instructed his management that he did not want to even talk to rival clubs.

Parramatta's Corey Norman attempts to bust the tackle of Bulldog Josh Jackson and Josh Reynolds. Picture: Gregg Porteous
“My manager is talking to the club now,’’ Norman said in February.

“It’s up to me to play some footy early in the season and we’ll see what happens. I’m pretty happy at Parramatta.’’

But since then negotiations have not moved forward.

There is no question the Eels face a delicate balancing act given Norman’s likely price tag of an estimated $700,000 a year, and the fact that there is still no clear indication on when or if Watmough will return from his chronic knee injury.

Watmough still has two seasons to run on his contract at Parra beyond this year, with his contract for 2017 and 2018 estimated to be worth about $750,000.

Play
/
Fullscreen
Mute
Keary talks other clubs

The former NSW and Kangaroos enforcer said that he “had *unfinished business’’ when the talk of his possible retirement was first mentioned in February, and Watmough said he was “planning to return in a couple of weeks’’.

But heading into round four, the 32-year-old remains on restricted training duties with his return date still listed as “indefinite”.

Parramatta would not comment on Norman’s situation, or Watmough’s future, when contacted on Monday. But it is known that the club want to give Watmough the respect he has earned over 300-plus career games to make a final decision on his playing future.

Should Watmough’s knee not respond to treatment and he’s forced to retire, the 32-year-old is still entitled to a full payout — but importantly that money would not go on the Eels’ salary cap going forward.

But if Norman continues his outstanding early season form, you’d imagine it won’t be long before rivals start showing interest to see if they can entice him away from the Eels.

Last edited:

phantom eel

First Grade
So Paul Cawley reads these forums too :nwave:

It's common sense that to upgrade Norman's contract we have to dip into funds currently committed elsewhere (since we're apparently riding on the salary cap edge). For next year we're losing Junior Paulo - but any cash left over there needs to be ringfenced to upgrade/retain/attract a suitable front row replacement.

So the obvious focus is Watmough, and whether he will call it quits early and get a payout for 2017 (crucially not included in our cap), and free up the funds we'd need to make Norman a suitable offer. Watmough is being given the respect to make his own decision re recovery/retirement while Norman has stated he is happy at Parra, instructed his manager not to talk to anyone else, and said that he'll just play good footy and see what happens later.

As usual for the Daily Telegraph league coverage - it's a NON STORY. Everyone's happy - News Ltd need to stop muckraking and leave our club alone :evil:

Haynzy

First Grade
They're obviously talking about Hayzny.

And if they're not, they should be.

Maybe I should have said "most regular respected poster".

Clearly, in my eyes, Haynzy and The Colonel are No1.
They rarely post though.
Baz posts daily.

Eelementary gets the award for the "Nicest Poster". He's a gentleman. A very polite person.

You guys are too generous.
I read this place a number of times everyday.
The amount of times I start to type abusive merkin laden posts calling out some idiot or two is ridiculous.
I feel like I post here all the time but in actuality it's probably only a couple of times a week.

Anyway, Fanbase is an overreactive merkin and hindy111 misspells words just to annoy people. Phart is one of the most passive aggressive people here and shouldn't let stuff typed on the internet get to him so much.
Jake is a ______________________ and I'm loving the footy at the moment but wish the political shit would end.
Obviously being in Adelaide I don't get as much regular footy news so I don't always feel like I have much to add to the conversations here but I'm still hanging in there and not going anywhere.

I thought I'd better add a rumour to this post so... I heard that someone pinched a pink training singlet and a pair of shorts from the hotel in Alice Springs where the Eels entourage were staying earlier in the year.

Thanks for the kind words fellas, looking forward to catching up at the Panthers game in July.

IFR33K

Coach
Surprised we haven't tried hiring the jurnos from the telecrap. They seem to know it all and have all the answers.

eels_fan

First Grade
Another nothing story, which I posted about yesterday.

Typical DT BS. Norman has stated he wants to stay. Winning will only further strengthen that.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The amount of times I start to type abusive merkin laden posts calling out some idiot or two is ridiculous.
I feel like I post here all the time but in actuality it's probably only a couple of times a week.

Anyway, Fanbase is an overreactive merkin and hindy111 misspells words just to annoy people. Phart is one of the most passive aggressive people here and shouldn't let stuff typed on the internet get to him so much.
Jake is a ______________________ and I'm loving the footy at the moment but wish the political shit would end.
Obviously being in Adelaide I don't get as much regular footy news so I don't always feel like I have much to add to the conversations here but I'm still hanging in there and not going anywhere.

I thought I'd better add a rumour to this post so... I heard that someone pinched a pink training singlet and a pair of shorts from the hotel in Alice Springs where the Eels entourage were staying earlier in the year.

Thanks for the kind words fellas, looking forward to catching up at the Panthers game in July.

Phart? I like it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

I read an article with a similar topic a few weeks back but with a completely different twist. This article is just typical Eels basking from the DT.

The article said Norman and the Eels will talk mid season and lock him up for the near future once they see how he settles in with our new line up as he played broken for most of last season and Norman wants half a season to prove his worth. It also said Norman was keen to stay on and it had quotes from Norman. Wish I could find the bloody thing again.

hindy111

Post Whore

Yeah - that is was i do:?

The Colonel

Immortal
Maybe I should have said "most regular respected poster".

Clearly, in my eyes, Haynzy and The Colonel are No1.
They rarely post though.
Baz posts daily.

Eelementary gets the award for the "Nicest Poster". He's a gentleman. A very polite person.

Thanks mate. I still read regularly but only find the need to post the odd comment every now and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts