What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Whingers and Occasional Optimism XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazzamatta

Coach
My major concern for season 2016 is that so many on the roster have contracts concluding this season. It will take one hell of a coach to keep their respective minds on the job. Even Cooper Cronk admits its a distraction and is having an effect on his form.
Its easy to say they will play harder for a contract however with other clubs making enquiries it will be very interesting.
In BA we trust.

Parraren

Bench
Norman's price range would be between $600k and $850k.

His manager obviously pushing for the latter but I reckon we'll meet some where in the middle

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My major concern for season 2016 is that so many on the roster have contracts concluding this season. It will take one hell of a coach to keep their respective minds on the job. Even Cooper Cronk admits its a distraction and is having an effect on his form.
Its easy to say they will play harder for a contract however with other clubs making enquiries it will be very interesting.
In BA we trust.

Agreed Gaz. merkins talking about 'one year contracts will keep them keener' don't understand that these players are all extremely driven or they would never have become NRL players in the first place. But just as important as being driven is being focused, which I don't think comes so naturally to most of them. Off contract players always seem to gain form after their futures are settled, whether they re-sign for their current club or sign elsewhere.

yy_cheng

Coach
You think Norman and Kelly are the only two options for next year?

Of course not but with all the information that we have now, thats what it is pointing at unless we get moee information anything else will be a less educated guess.

With the current information, we are not chasing anyone except trying to resign norman who it seems has attracted another suitor.

Kelly is also off contract but from past scenarios he will remain if he has a shot at the no. 7 Guernsey

hindy111

Post Whore
Id be just as happy with Pierce as norman. Peirce as much as people bag him out is a very good player

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Unfortunately he and his manager would also have thought $600k was cheap. I dare say we would already have made an offer like that months ago. The reply would have been something like "Corey isn't in a hurry to sort out his future just yet. He wants to focus on working hard in the pre-season and playing some good footy." The subtext would have been "..and blowing out his asking price."

It's a shame, but the best thing for us, long term, could be for Norman to hit some poor form in the short term, to reduce the demand for him.

The salary cap really does punish success, and the timing of our contracts has been very unfortunate. There's a good chance our team next year won't be as strong.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Of course not but with all the information that we have now, thats what it is pointing at unless we get moee information anything else will be a less educated guess.

With the current information, we are not chasing anyone except trying to resign norman who it seems has attracted another suitor.

Kelly is also off contract but from past scenarios he will remain if he has a shot at the no. 7 Guernsey

He doesn't have a shot at the number 7 jersey at Parra or any other club. However he does have a shot at a top 25 spot at some clubs more than others. I hope we keep him.

Of course we won't be making offers to other players while trying to keep Norman, but I'd bet your house that we've made enquirers about every half off contract. There are still plenty of them, and everyone will be waiting for that first domino to fall. Not everyone will end up getting the money they are holding out for, and as soon as one of them signs/re-signs it reduces the money available for everyone else. Guys like Blake Green (average) and Mitch Moses (defensive issues) won't want to be left without a chair when the music stops.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Id be just as happy with Pierce as norman. Peirce as much as people bag him out is a very good player

Agreed. Much better defence and kicking than Norman, though his playmaking and running aren't as good. You could certainly win a premiership with Pearce.

Dibs

Bench
Unfortunately he and his manager would also have thought $600k was cheap. I dare say we would already have made an offer like that months ago. The reply would have been something like "Corey isn't in a hurry to sort out his future just yet. He wants to focus on working hard in the pre-season and playing some good footy." The subtext would have been "..and blowing out his asking price."

It's a shame, but the best thing for us, long term, could be for Norman to hit some poor form in the short term, to reduce the demand for him.

The salary cap really does punish success, and the timing of our contracts has been very unfortunate. There's a good chance our team next year won't be as strong.

I don't normally get into the worth of players or what they may be getting paid as I have no idea. However I would have thought 700 to 750k would be what we would have to come up with to keep him. Unless of course a more desperate team throws ridiculous money at him, but then shouldn't try to match it but accept defeat and move on.

Yy why would we be linked to another half if we are trying to sign Corey? If and when it appears that we won't we will be linked to every conceivable half available. There is no way if Corey doesn't sign will BA consider Kelly as the next best alternative. Not unless every other avenue is exhausted

yy_cheng

Coach
I don't normally get into the worth of players or what they may be getting paid as I have no idea. However I would have thought 700 to 750k would be what we would have to come up with to keep him. Unless of course a more desperate team throws ridiculous money at him, but then shouldn't try to match it but accept defeat and move on.

Yy why would we be linked to another half if we are trying to sign Corey? If and when it appears that we won't we will be linked to every conceivable half available. There is no way if Corey doesn't sign will BA consider Kelly as the next best alternative. Not unless every other avenue is exhausted

exactly we won't be linked to another half and no smoke about another half just yet so I stand that with the current info. We do have, it's either Norman or whoever we have in our ranks. Until Norman gets picked off say by the chooks, then info comes out that we're after someone else then it's that person or who have left

Dibs

Bench
exactly we won't be linked to another half and no smoke about another half just yet so I stand that with the current info. We do have, it's either Norman or whoever we have in our ranks. Until Norman gets picked off say by the chooks, then info comes out that we're after someone else then it's that person or who have left

That's flawed logic

yy_cheng

Coach
He doesn't have a shot at the number 7 jersey at Parra or any other club. However he does have a shot at a top 25 spot at some clubs more than others. I hope we keep him.

Of course we won't be making offers to other players while trying to keep Norman, but I'd bet your house that we've made enquirers about every half off contract. There are still plenty of them, and everyone will be waiting for that first domino to fall. Not everyone will end up getting the money they are holding out for, and as soon as one of them signs/re-signs it reduces the money available for everyone else. Guys like Blake Green (average) and Mitch Moses (defensive issues) won't want to be left without a chair when the music stops.

Sorry who played 7 when foran was out in rnd 1? If you ask that Pau guy he's is the next 7 on the rank as Cornish has defensive issues. Until something else is leaked, that's the info we have atm

phantom eel

First Grade
I sguuest everyone read the link Colonel posted.

Quotes Norman's manager, imo we'll have nothing to worry about, and the club doesn't need to look too hard at any other halves.

yy_cheng

Coach
Who was stupid enough to buy Sydney property 3 years ago when it was overpriced? Well, they aren't so stupid now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts