What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Phil Gould

Juniors
Wouldnt that be a kick in the nuts if he signs with them, he'd rather go to the Titans than get $1M a year from us.

Maybe $20,000 a week isn’t enough for him to have to train hard?

Did we end up getting anything out of letting Matterson go early? If we didn’t and we’ll have cap money left over, they should have benched him for the rest of his contract, or at least to use as a bargaining chip somewhere down the line.

Shredder

Juniors
This LM saga is making me laugh. Not at the ongoing backwards and forwards with him, but at the reactions our fans are showing.

We started off everyone was excited and now, because its taking whats seen as too long, we have thrown it all in and said he can go f**k himself, force his hand and put deadlines on. Someone on facebook even said they would rather Thomson stayed at FB for us.

For the last three years (at least) we have all been calling for strike power in the backs, specifically in the 3 and 4.

LM is a top player. Hes a current international and probably one of the most creative outside backs other than Tommy Turbo and Tedesco. Hes not an up and comer and hes not over the hill.

All Im seeing now is "chuck it in, he obviously doesnt want to come here."

Hes 22, hes just been effectively fired by his club, his home town is on fire and he has just changed managers.

Be patient. He is the player we need, the club knows it and Im sure they are doing everything they can to get it done.

Tigerm

First Grade
This LM saga is making me laugh. Not at the ongoing backwards and forwards with him, but at the reactions our fans are showing.

We started off everyone was excited and now, because its taking whats seen as too long, we have thrown it all in and said he can go f**k himself, force his hand and put deadlines on. Someone on facebook even said they would rather Thomson stayed at FB for us.

For the last three years (at least) we have all been calling for strike power in the backs, specifically in the 3 and 4.

LM is a top player. Hes a current international and probably one of the most creative outside backs other than Tommy Turbo and Tedesco. Hes not an up and comer and hes not over the hill.

Hes 22, hes just been effectively fired by his club, his home town is on fire and he has just changed managers.

Be patient. He is the player we need, the club knows it and Im sure they are doing everything they can to get it done.

Agree and he may have already signed but I am one who is quickly changing their view, why shouldn't we play hard ball, this is the biggest contract in our club's history, if he is playing us, then he wont sign and we move on.

I hope we do have someone else we are looking at, otherwise we let some experienced players go for no real reason. (which we haven't replaced I might add).

BrotherJim05

Bench
I think its just driving us all crazy how nobody ever wants to sign with us. Even basket cases like GCT manage to sign quality players while we have to sign Juniors and grow them. What is it that makes us like this? Its not the lack of on field success, there must be something that only the players see that we don't.

Its f**ked how long LM is taking because we are missing out on other players. What if he does end up signing with GCT and there is nobody available for 2020? We lost Marsters, Farah, Matterson, Matulino and basically didn't replace them...

macnaz

Staff member

Haha!
Mr Negative.... if we sign him you will be against him ... if we dont you will be against that!
Mate pick a side , everything you seem to say here is opposite to the majority which ever oppinion they have .

Shredder

Juniors
Oh Im frustrated as well - dont get me wrong, but I think this is all media bullshit.

GC just extended Brimson after telling him he had permission to negotiate, they dont have the cash to match our offer.

Cows signed VH instead.

Souths are the only ones with money, but they have forwards to replace.

We are the only club with the money to pay him $1mln a year and as far as I have read we are the only club that has given him a contract to sign.

Tiger05

First Grade

I hope he comes because he could be potentially great for us. We should relax. He isn't as good as Tedesco or Turbo but he has in some ways a higher ceiling than those guys. On his day he is unstoppable.

It's not often you get the chance to sign a player like Latrell.

Lm is the answer to a lot of our questions.

But he’s still a surprise entrant to our recruitment ambitions.

I think we all agree that there is significant growth and improvement so available in our basic squad and Madge will be better with a full season under his belt.

Many NRL coaches, they disappear after being sacked, only the very elite can pick and choose their next club.

Madge exacts 5-10% more from the existing squad and newcomers, our unfancied side is, quite easily, finals bound. Then he has rare successful gf experience.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
McNaz Ive picked a side. I think he will be the best signing this club has ever made.

If we get him he should easily be our best ever signing. If he stays and takes us to the finals he coudl be our best ever player. It could be a dud signing but I think the real issue is playing any player 1 million dollars is a risk.

The upside is high but if he fails it's very risky. I'm cool with just seeing how we go over the next couple of seasons predominantly because our cap seems to be starting to be fixed and I think we have a coach who is prepared to make the tough decisions to help us be successful.

macnaz

Staff member
McNaz Ive picked a side. I think he will be the best signing this club has ever made.
Yes I agree , but I dont understand how you feel its laughable when fans get to a point they feel we as a club are being played and have had enough .
That has been a problem for years and the longer we wait in this instance the more desperate and pathetic we look. I cant see any downside to saying " We have made an offer which is valid until Friday" and if it's not accepted we move on to look at alternatives. Whilst ever we sit around like beggars we will continue to go through the same shit forever being used ... honestly if a player is looking at the Gold Coast before us something isnt right .... and if we STILL have an offer on the table that is turned down to go to them ... its is just an embarrassment!

Tiger05

First Grade
@macnaz - the issue is that he doesn't sign and then signs elsewhere for less. We don't have to be beggars. We just have to play the game like professionals and not be reactive.

You have to let the guy make a decision and give him some time. It's along way until the season kicks off and even pre-season training starts for him.

macnaz

Staff member
Nah.
The last few years we waited for weeks while Woods, Turdesco,Moses,Cleary, Bennet, Matterson etc and made to look like dickheads in relation to dealing with all of them.
We have to get to a point , just like the Roosters did , make an offer if you dont like it move on .

WA Tiger

Bench
You are both right .We are like those Polish families in that movie the Pianist ..when a morsel of food is presented..It’s too good to be true....and we just trip over ourselves with excitement and then we see the potential to be humiliated by missing out again ...it’s a bloody hard gig.....I like your empathy shredder ..that he’s going through a fair bit himself including the fires and the crap he got from the snotty “how dare u” Roosters..And he’s a 22 year old with a mountain of stubbornness (which can be good) taking a look around if not for now maybe for later in his career..and he’s feeling and basking in the love for a change and taking a good look at these so called gun managers/coaches/ clubs ..and see how they compare to what he knows ..He’s a people person and he is prob a match for any of them and he’s just taking an opportunity to thoroughly suss them out ...maybe just playing with them saying “how can we do this?” to see how they react to him and who he is..Why because he knows he can come home to the real deal $mil plus a year over 4 years with us...And he will.

Last edited:

Legion

Juniors
Tigers have offered $1mil for Mitchell?
Am I the only Tigers supporter who thinks this is a bad choice for the money?
If LM does sign, I predict that he'll have 'mental health issues' before the end of the season.

He's talented for sure but he switches off during games. Doesn't back up. Plays for himself. Poor attitude. Has too many people blowing smoke up his arse. [Taking advice from The Mouth Mundine will not be doing him any favours ] Too inconsistent to play fullback.

$1mil could be way better spent. Even if that means waiting a year for new signings.

Phil Gould

Juniors
LM has massive potential, but hard work is the main ingredient needed. Can Madge get that out of him? Does he even want to try? I’m on the fence but doubtful. I think most others are the same, opinions are likely to sway easily.

It’s surprising how many good players go backwards once they get the big money these days. It’s like they think they’ve got it made and put their feet up. LM has his feet up most of the time anyway. I really hope he doesn’t just sign because it’s the best offer. I really hope he wants to let Madge model his career and is humble enough to allow it. It must be tough for the young lad, pressures we will never understand. I hope he can find a way through and I hope that way is with us.

Tiger05

First Grade
Here is the thing about LM. He is a risk but so is any player on that money. We need to mitigate the risk via not making it a massive long term contract.

Latest posts