What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Kilkenny

Coach
All depends on the player and the circumstance.

Renno turned down immortal life bunny-ship for the wooden spooners on account of cash and a new experience.

There’s no standard reason.

If it was just cash, everyone would play in esl.
There really isn’t the money in the ESL you think there is. At the very top, the cream of the crop they may earn decent money but they don’t earn any where near what the top earners in the NRL do.

NRL players who are on good money, really do have an opportunity to set themselves up for life through there investment portfolios either in property or other investments. Most of us can only dream of having one or more investment properties, as a strategy to reduce there tax liabilities and given many NRL players earning capacity is $300k or much, much more in some cases they have the ability most of us simply don’t have. While NRL careers are short, most rely on there managers to make astute investments which will ensure they and there families will be well catered for even if they actually have to work for a living from aged thirty onwards.

There really isn’t the money in the ESL you think there is. At the very top, the cream of the crop they may earn decent money but they don’t earn any where near what the top earners in the NRL do.

NRL players who are on good money, really do have an opportunity to set themselves up for life through there investment portfolios either in property or other investments. Most of us can only dream of having one or more investment properties, as a strategy to reduce there tax liabilities and given many NRL players earning capacity is $300k or much, much more in some cases they have the ability most of us simply don’t have. While NRL careers are short, most rely on there managers to make astute investments which will ensure they and there families will be well catered for even if they actually have to work for a living from aged thirty onwards.
Mmm, some truth but I think my point is made out.

Player I knew got 300%+ more at esl, but I’ll concede -one fly doesn’t make a summer!

BrotherJim05

Bench
Earning 450k a year vs 550k isn't exactly taking food off your table. If you back yourself to becoming a marquee player then take the pay cut and develop yourself into that player and you could end up demanding more than 550 a year

Tiger05

First Grade
Earning 450k a year vs 550k isn't exactly taking food off your table. If you back yourself to becoming a marquee player then take the pay cut and develop yourself into that player and you could end up demanding more than 550 a year

If it happens and if you get offered that amount. I don't think players would be giving up 100k regularly.

Tigerm

First Grade
They were talking $200k? But the point is, what if you get broken in the first game? That’s a bucket load of cash to miss out on, just don’t think the young blokes will want to miss out, and nor should they.

I don’t believe he will lose anything being here, look at Joffa?

If the player is any good, he will rise in status and commensurate pay levels.

stryker

First Grade
Plus you’d most probably play rep.

Tigerm

First Grade
Well, may not happen anyway? This bloke is a sports writer with Ch7, but I don’t know if he is in the know with this sort of thing? Though it does say, “only for this year”.

Tigerm

First Grade
He's a Brisbane journo, usually pretty close to the mark
What's the feeling of you blokes, do you think there will be fire sale this year?

A question without notice, is Ikin and Bennett close or on speaking terms, to the point that he (Bennett) may consider coming back, or has that ship sailed?

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Just on Finucane? He didn’t play last night?
Is he injured or just not picked?

He was 19th man so part of the extended squad but not suiting up.

FWIW we'd be crazy to sign Finucane in my opinion. To offer him at 30 a 3/4 year contract on comparable money to a young bull like James Fisher Harris would represent a poor investment.

The journalists and past players calling for WT to sign him are kidding themselves. They are not the ones actually signing the cheques. Joey Johns said we effectively need a Finucane who is 3 or 4 years younger which is spot on.

Christian Welch is open to offers on November 1. He brings everything we are looking for in Finucane and is 26.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Well, may not happen anyway? This bloke is a sports writer with Ch7, but I don’t know if he is in the know with this sort of thing? Though it does say, “only for this year”.

Lodge isn't going anywhere because they cannot find anyone to take him on.

If you watch the video interview with Walters on NRL website he wasnt as convincing when asked about Pangai.

Broncos will need to ship someone to get Billy Walters back before August 1.

Brent Read said that Bulldogs board meets tomorrow so I suspect we will see a "Pangai to Canterbury' story come Wednesday this week.

blaza88z

Coach
What's the feeling of you blokes, do you think there will be fire sale this year?

A question without notice, is Ikin and Bennett close or on speaking terms, to the point that he (Bennett) may consider coming back, or has that ship sailed?

TPJ, Lodge and Milford will be leaving but they will try to do it in the off-season it seems, a few more will probably be leaving too but they're not anyone you'd expect to go on to bigger and better things. There's a good player there in Milford but I think there's some significant self doubt too, if a club could get him at 300k and build up his confidence again, it could be a great buy

I think they made the decision a while ago it was time for the club to move past Bennett, he's been unbelievable for the club but he's in his 70's now and without doubt he would get us playing well again he's not the long-term solution, not sure about Ikin/Bennett's relationship but I know the relationship between Bennett and the power brokers of the Broncos isn't a healthy one

Tigerm

First Grade
Lodge isn't going anywhere because they cannot find anyone to take him on.

If you watch the video interview with Walters on NRL website he wasnt as convincing when asked about Pangai.

Broncos will need to ship someone to get Billy Walters back before August 1.

Brent Read said that Bulldogs board meets tomorrow so I suspect we will see a "Pangai to Canterbury' story come Wednesday this week.
I know Kevie would want his son with him, but would the club?

I would of thought, we were a head of the Dogs for his signature?