What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Frederick

Staff member
Read elsewhere that Hastings is not the last one to go, probably 1 or 2 more so we either have a few coming in or upgrading development players.

On Klemmer, his stats from 2022. He was their best forward this season by a long way.

APPEARANCES 18

SCORING

TRIES: 1

ATTACK​

TACKLE BREAKS: 22
AVERAGE HIT UPS: 14.1
POST CONTACT METRES: 1180.2

PASSING​

OFFLOADS: 36

DEFENCE​

TACKLES MADE: 589
TACKLE EFFICIENCY: 97%

RUNNING METRES​

AVERAGE RUNNING METRES: 155
TOTAL RUNNING METRES: 2793
Stats only tell half the story though. Klem led all our forwards stat wise, but rarely would we get a fast play the ball from him - lots of his PCM were slowly walking with a couple of defenders hanging off him, and while he's padding his stats the opposition defensive line gets plenty of time to get fully set.

Definitely a great clubman and one of the few who actually gave a shit around here, but I feel like the game has gotten too fast for big, lumbering, one-dimensional metre eaters like Klem

Tigerm

First Grade
Read elsewhere that Hastings is not the last one to go, probably 1 or 2 more so we either have a few coming in or upgrading development players.

On Klemmer, his stats from 2022. He was their best forward this season by a long way.

APPEARANCES 18

SCORING

TRIES: 1

ATTACK​

TACKLE BREAKS: 22
AVERAGE HIT UPS: 14.1
POST CONTACT METRES: 1180.2

PASSING​

OFFLOADS: 36

DEFENCE​

TACKLES MADE: 589
TACKLE EFFICIENCY: 97%

RUNNING METRES​

AVERAGE RUNNING METRES: 155
TOTAL RUNNING METRES: 2793
That would be close to being more than the rest of our ‘22 forward pack combined?🤣🤣🤣

Hoofhearted

Juniors
That would be close to being more than the rest of our ‘22 forward pack combined?🤣🤣🤣
Well you could say Klemmer is a replacement for Tamou, so by comparison we have a definite upgrade

Tamou Stats for 2022

APPEARANCES 19

SCORING​

TRIES: 2

ATTACK​

TACKLE BREAKS: 21
AVERAGE HIT UPS: 9.3
POST CONTACT METRES: 681.6

PASSING​

OFFLOADS: 25

DEFENCE​

TACKLES MADE: 539
TACKLE EFFICIENCY: 92.4%

Tigerm

First Grade
1 or 2, I wonder who?

For me, maybe Kepaoa (imo, doesn’t offer much) & Tuki Simpkins (didn’t get any game time last season) don’t really see there need to be here.

I’m sure there are others.

Tigerm

First Grade
Fk yeah re: Klemmer! Bateman next on the list.

I feel that if Bateman comes on board then that is the circuit breaker we've been waiting for so many years and we will start being seen as a legit destination for quality NRL players
I seriously think it will depend on who we get as a coach,
i.e. if we get the Sheenius or Sheens, will have a huge bearing?

JB04

Juniors
Not overly thrilled with losing Hastings, but he is far too slow for halfback - clearly Sheens/Benji want a fast attacking brand of footy, which has been well documented. Super stoked with Klemmer joining, finally some mongrel in the front row to show Stefano and Pole how it's done. Will be super pumped if Bateman joins (of which I've heard is pretty much guaranteed).

Next year we currently have 27 signed:

1. Adam Doueihi
2. Alex Seyfarth
3. Alex Twal
4. Apisai Koroisau
5. Apisalome Saukuru
6. Asu Kepaoa
7. Brandon Tumeth
8. Brent Naden
9. Charlie Staines
10. Daine Laurie
11. David Klemmer
12. David Nofoaluma
13. Fonua Pole
14. Isaiah Papali'i
15. Jake Simpkin
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. Junior Tupou
18. Ken Maumalo
19. Luke Brooks
20. Rua Ngatikaura
21. Shawn Blore
22. Sione Fainu
23. Starford To'a
24. Stefano Utoikamanu
25. Tommy Talau
26. Triston Reilly
27. Tukimihia Simpkins

INS
- Apisai Koroisau (Panthers)
- Apisalome Saukuru (Upgraded)
- Brandon Tumeth (Upgraded)
- Charlie Staines (Panthers)
- David Klemmer (Knights)
- Fonua Pole (Upgraded)
- Isaiah Papali'i (Eels)
- Rua Ngatikaura (Upgraded)
- Triston Reilly (Upgraded)

OUTS
- Henry O'Kane (Unannounced)
- Jackson Hastings (Knoghts)
- Jacob Liddle (Dragons)
- James Roberts (Retired)
- James Tamou (Cowboys)
- Jock Madden (Broncos)
- Kelma Tuilagi (Sea Eagles)
- Luke Garner (Panthers)
- Oliver Gildart (Dolphins)
- Tyrone Peachey (Panthers)
- William Kei (Unsure)
- Zane Musgrove (Dragons)

There's 10 of our starting line up from last year gone - it'll be a completely different side next year

Klemmer for 3 years? Never known for his dynamism, the guy turns 29 in a month…

Bateman is already 29.

Papali’i is the type of forward you need; not just age but style. He was signed by the previous regime. I know Sheens hasn’t coached in Oz for a while, but has he even watched any NRL for the last couple of seasons?

simmo1

First Grade
Looking forward to Klemmer. I don't think we have had an agressive, enforcer type or his ilk in the history of the JV. He will do plenty of dumb shit too, but hopefully the good outweighs the bad.

Not really too fussed on losing Hastings. I think his game management is his only real asset and even then a little overstated. He got us over the line a couple of times, but there were plenty of games he couldn't close out either. We aren't the first club to give him the boot after taking a team to the bottom of the ladder. I still would have preferred we kept him over Brooks however.

If we can land Bateman, then we will have a pretty mean set of forwards. Plenty of experience and mix of skill and aggression. It's a shame the backs are a bit of a lost cause.

chunk

Juniors
It's clear that Sheens and Benji still thinks we haven't seen the best of Brooks and maybe they're right.

It's time for Brooks to reach that potential we have all been waiting for for all these years and that's exciting.

Tigerm

First Grade
Klemmer for 3 years? Never known for his dynamism, the guy turns 29 in a month…

Bateman is already 29.

Papali’i is the type of forward you need; not just age but style. He was signed by the previous regime. I know Sheens hasn’t coached in Oz for a while, but has he even watched any NRL for the last couple of seasons?
I think Klemmer will offer more than any of our FR for the last many years (too many to count).

I don't think 29 is old for a forward.

But we will see, it's our backs that could be the issue now? I expect a better showing than last season (not hard) for sure.

A4038DEE-156D-44F3-8345-48B115821084.jpeg
Well you should apologise you merkins.

This is rubbish.

There is nothing Brooks does that Jackson doesn’t do better and he’s got a lot of footy ahead of him.

At least Bateman is as good as signed.

Not overly thrilled with losing Hastings, but he is far too slow for halfback - clearly Sheens/Benji want a fast attacking brand of footy, which has been well documented. Super stoked with Klemmer joining, finally some mongrel in the front row to show Stefano and Pole how it's done. Will be super pumped if Bateman joins (of which I've heard is pretty much guaranteed).

In all honesty, but so what if Hastings wasn't a fast runner. Players like Peter Sterling, and Hastings old man Kevin Hastings weren't quick runners either, but they knew how to organise a side, had good passing games, and good kicking games, whilst being better than average defenders. You want to tell me that players like the two mentioned were poor because they were more a game manger than a ball runner?

I can accept a coach saying they don't fit a blue print of how they want the side to be, and what qualities they want in a half, but to say it just on pace alone is crazy.

I suspect after reading Michael Chammas' article on the SMH website (see link below), it was more that the Knights couldn't get a deal done with Brooks which would meet his salary demands whilst fitting under the Knights salary cap, whereas they could with Jackson Hastings.

Last edited:

Phil Gould

Juniors

Next year we currently have 27 signed:

1. Adam Doueihi
2. Alex Seyfarth
3. Alex Twal
4. Apisai Koroisau
5. Apisalome Saukuru
6. Asu Kepaoa
7. Brandon Tumeth
8. Brent Naden
9. Charlie Staines
10. Daine Laurie
11. David Klemmer
12. David Nofoaluma
13. Fonua Pole
14. Isaiah Papali'i
15. Jake Simpkin
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. Junior Tupou
18. Ken Maumalo
19. Luke Brooks
20. Rua Ngatikaura
21. Shawn Blore
22. Sione Fainu
23. Starford To'a
24. Stefano Utoikamanu
25. Tommy Talau
26. Triston Reilly
27. Tukimihia Simpkins

INS
- Apisai Koroisau (Panthers)
- Apisalome Saukuru (Upgraded)
- Brandon Tumeth (Upgraded)
- Charlie Staines (Panthers)
- David Klemmer (Knights)
- Fonua Pole (Upgraded)
- Isaiah Papali'i (Eels)
- Rua Ngatikaura (Upgraded)
- Triston Reilly (Upgraded)

OUTS
- Henry O'Kane (Unannounced)
- Jackson Hastings (Knoghts)
- Jacob Liddle (Dragons)
- James Roberts (Retired)
- James Tamou (Cowboys)
- Jock Madden (Broncos)
- Kelma Tuilagi (Sea Eagles)
- Luke Garner (Panthers)
- Oliver Gildart (Dolphins)
- Tyrone Peachey (Panthers)
- William Kei (Unsure)
- Zane Musgrove (Dragons)

There's 10 of our starting line up from last year gone - it'll be a completely different side next year
That list of players leaving is pretty exciting. Except for Jacko there’s a heap of dead wood in there!

Apey

Staff member
Knights fan here. Klem's biggest problem for us is he was on too much money and all our forwards are the same type. As far as his game goes, he will probably be your top metre-eater every week but the downside is that those runs aren't particularly threatening and will often end with a slow PTB. I think there's still room for someone like him in the game if your other forwards bring some impact and are more threatening with the ball. Oh, and as a fan, the fact that he gives a shit each week is always a positive. I guess him and Hastings have that in common so neither club is losing much in that respect.

If all else fails and the game is lost, he'll go for some biff and entertain you anyway 😂 Sad to see him go he's an easy player to like when he's playing for your club.

I think Klemmer will offer more than any of our FR for the last many years (too many to count).

I don't think 29 is old for a forward.

But we will see, it's our backs that could be the issue now? I expect a better showing than last season (not hard) for sure.
Well I hope I am wrong. I am rooting for the Tigers as the game needs to be able to demonstrate that it can achieve consistent competitiveness across all the clubs.

JB04

Juniors
Knights fan here. Klem's biggest problem for us is he was on too much money and all our forwards are the same type. As far as his game goes, he will probably be your top metre-eater every week but the downside is that those runs aren't particularly threatening and will often end with a slow PTB. I think there's still room for someone like him in the game if your other forwards bring some impact and are more threatening with the ball. Oh, and as a fan, the fact that he gives a shit each week is always a positive. I guess him and Hastings have that in common so neither club is losing much in that respect.

If all else fails and the game is lost, he'll go for some biff and entertain you anyway 😂 Sad to see him go he's an easy player to like when he's playing for your club.

Think he'll be great for Stefano and Pole. They also complement him perfectly. Hope Hastings goes well for you guys - likeable guy. All the best for 2023, we are both due some success!