What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

Coach
Hunt's signature is also looking likely
I don’t know enough about the three that have been mentioned, but if they come, I just hope they don’t treat it as a holiday.
Though I give Richo credit, that he knows what he’s doing.
All of them look like they may add to the team, but only game time will tell.

Tiger05

First Grade
Agree but those fwds you mentioned aren't classic middles. We don't have an enforcer who can come on when required to plug the gaps in the middle and bully our way fwd.
You see in that video I posted. Hunt was attracting 3 defenders, making post contact metres and still gets the offload. Our halves would have a field day with a middle like that. Trouble is there's none out there.

Stef has done that this a bit this year. I don't think Hunt will be an upgrade on him. I'd prefer a player like that but the thing is building a team is a funny thing. We won the comp with pretty ordinary forwards and I can't remember a big guy who was a battering ram.

Will he be exposed defensively. I've seen Pole exposed and he is a pretty agile middle forward.

I expect the coaching staff to somehow fashion a team out of what they have and they have plenty to work with. We also had plenty to work with this year.

WA Tiger

Bench
We haven't had a middle that can cause so much damage before...
Sirronen would be the best we’ve had, but this guy hunt is on another level.. a big risk ofcourse, but an even bigger reward.. I havnt seen that need to dominate before.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Stefs done that for us? Nah! He’s done Nothing that even resembles what Hunts doing in the vid…Hunts trying to run through or even hurt players like all props should ..Stefs been going through the motions, nothing more

I don't think so. He would have a great highlights package.

I'm fine he is gone but that is simply because of the contract cost.

Nutz

Bench
I don't think so. He would have a great highlights package.

I'm fine he is gone but that is simply because of the contract cost.
Stefano's highlight package is not great Tiger. I've watched his every game since coming here from Parra, has a few games, gets injured, nothing spectacular. Everyone including me could see him developing into a solid middle one day, did it happen, nah, could it happen, maybe.
If he stayed things may have improved but now that he's gone to a club that will make that 'could' to a should.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I don't know if we have three roster spots but if we can get Hunt, Hetherington and Horsbrouh then f**k me we are looking good for next year.

I'm not sure if Bateman is actually coming back, but if he isn't then we need a quality back rower asap

Ned Kelly

Juniors

The Balmain board is set to call a crisis meeting to discuss removing the club from the joint venture with Western Suburbs in an ambitious bid to go it alone that could spell the end of the Wests Tigers.

In a move that will send shockwaves through the NRL, frustrated Balmain directors are preparing to call a vote on their involvement in the merger amid concern over decisions being made by the club’s majority owner, the Holman Barnes Group (HBG).

Balmain director and former Tigers first grade player Garry Leo told this masthead on Thursday he and his fellow board members had “lost faith” in HBG and was calling on fellow directors to endorse the end of the troubled joint venture 25 years after it was established.
“I really believe the time has come for us to step aside and resurrect the Balmain Tigers,” Leo, who played 156 games for Balmain in the 1960s and ’70s, told the Herald.

“We’ve got more of a following than the Wests side of the merger. To be honest, we have lost faith in them. We’re getting Leichhardt Oval upgraded and we could play there every second week. If we can find the right backers, we want a shot at returning to the NRL.
“I don’t think the NRL would continue to allow the Wests Tigers to operate with the Tigers name without any involvement from Balmain. I really do believe the NRL competition needs a Tigers team. And not the Wests Tigers.”

The current licensing agreement between the NRL and its clubs expires at the end of the season.
Balmain see it as an opportunity to put forward a proposal that could force the NRL to choose between the Balmain Tigers and Wests Magpies if the NRL team is unable to keep the Tigers name without Balmain’s involvement.

The Balmain side owns 10 per cent of the Wests Tigers, with the other 90 per cent owned by the Holman Barnes Group – of which 30 per cent is owned by the Western Suburbs Magpies.
HBG acquired 15 per cent of Balmain’s previous share in 2019 when it agreed to pay off Balmain’s $3.2 million debt to the NRL.

Balmain have already held private conversations about approaching 91-year-old billionaire property developer Harry Triguboff, a diehard Tigers fan, to gauge his interest in potentially backing a Balmain licence given their limited financial resources.
The other name being discussed is billionaire automotive businessman, Neville Crichton, also a Balmain fan.

“If we had the right backers, we could go to the NRL with a proposal to stand alone,” Leo said. “The joint venture hasn’t worked. I’d rather risk ending up in NSW Cup than continuing on with the Wests Tigers.”
It comes a day after the Herald revealed Wests Tigers chairman Barry O’Farrell is considering walking away from the club after he was recently told by HBG he would have to reapply for his job.
Balmain chairman Danny Stapleton, who is also the Balmain representative on the Wests Tigers’ four-person board, said: “I have no comment on behalf of Balmain.”
Balmain directors feel they were blindsided by the external review at the end of last year, and believe many of HBG’s decisions have had a negative impact on the NRL club.
“One day we’re being told Barry O’Farrell would be reappointed as one of the independent directors, now they’re saying he’s not,” Leo said.

“They want people they can control. Unfortunately, it’s why they have been going so bad all these years, and that’s because the Wests directors have had too much influence on what is happening at the club. I felt sorry for Justin Pascoe. He was basically being told what to do by Wests.”

Holman Barnes Group chair Julie Romero has not responded to calls.

The Wests Tigers NRL franchise began in 2000 as an equal joint venture between two foundation clubs.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
It momentarily felt like the Wests Tigers could get their act together when they signed Richo and made changes to the board. It now looks like we are a bigger mess than the last couple of years which is quite an achievement,

I have felt like stepping away from the Tigers for a while but the choice may be taken out of my hands,

Tigerm

Coach
I don't know if we have three roster spots but if we can get Hunt, Hetherington and Horsbrouh then f**k me we are looking good for next year.

I'm not sure if Bateman is actually coming back, but if he isn't then we need a quality back rower asap
I hope the forwards are good enough to hold em, while the backs fold em.

The possible forwards for ‘25
Api
TDS
Pole
Seyfarth
Klemmer
Porter
Sa Fainu
Si Fainu
Johhanssen
Twal
*Horshack
*Hunt
*Hetherington

Backs
Luai
Galvin
Skelton
Olam
Bula
Tito
Staines
L Fainu
To’a
Faataape
*Bird

Is not a bad line up, plenty of competition for spots, for a change.

Last edited:

Tigerm

Coach

The Balmain board is set to call a crisis meeting to discuss removing the club from the joint venture with Western Suburbs in an ambitious bid to go it alone that could spell the end of the Wests Tigers.

In a move that will send shockwaves through the NRL, frustrated Balmain directors are preparing to call a vote on their involvement in the merger amid concern over decisions being made by the club’s majority owner, the Holman Barnes Group (HBG).

Balmain director and former Tigers first grade player Garry Leo told this masthead on Thursday he and his fellow board members had “lost faith” in HBG and was calling on fellow directors to endorse the end of the troubled joint venture 25 years after it was established.
“I really believe the time has come for us to step aside and resurrect the Balmain Tigers,” Leo, who played 156 games for Balmain in the 1960s and ’70s, told the Herald.

“We’ve got more of a following than the Wests side of the merger. To be honest, we have lost faith in them. We’re getting Leichhardt Oval upgraded and we could play there every second week. If we can find the right backers, we want a shot at returning to the NRL.
“I don’t think the NRL would continue to allow the Wests Tigers to operate with the Tigers name without any involvement from Balmain. I really do believe the NRL competition needs a Tigers team. And not the Wests Tigers.”

The current licensing agreement between the NRL and its clubs expires at the end of the season.
Balmain see it as an opportunity to put forward a proposal that could force the NRL to choose between the Balmain Tigers and Wests Magpies if the NRL team is unable to keep the Tigers name without Balmain’s involvement.

The Balmain side owns 10 per cent of the Wests Tigers, with the other 90 per cent owned by the Holman Barnes Group – of which 30 per cent is owned by the Western Suburbs Magpies.
HBG acquired 15 per cent of Balmain’s previous share in 2019 when it agreed to pay off Balmain’s $3.2 million debt to the NRL.

Balmain have already held private conversations about approaching 91-year-old billionaire property developer Harry Triguboff, a diehard Tigers fan, to gauge his interest in potentially backing a Balmain licence given their limited financial resources.
The other name being discussed is billionaire automotive businessman, Neville Crichton, also a Balmain fan.

“If we had the right backers, we could go to the NRL with a proposal to stand alone,” Leo said. “The joint venture hasn’t worked. I’d rather risk ending up in NSW Cup than continuing on with the Wests Tigers.”
It comes a day after the Herald revealed Wests Tigers chairman Barry O’Farrell is considering walking away from the club after he was recently told by HBG he would have to reapply for his job.
Balmain chairman Danny Stapleton, who is also the Balmain representative on the Wests Tigers’ four-person board, said: “I have no comment on behalf of Balmain.”
Balmain directors feel they were blindsided by the external review at the end of last year, and believe many of HBG’s decisions have had a negative impact on the NRL club.
“One day we’re being told Barry O’Farrell would be reappointed as one of the independent directors, now they’re saying he’s not,” Leo said.

“They want people they can control. Unfortunately, it’s why they have been going so bad all these years, and that’s because the Wests directors have had too much influence on what is happening at the club. I felt sorry for Justin Pascoe. He was basically being told what to do by Wests.”

Holman Barnes Group chair Julie Romero has not responded to calls.

The Wests Tigers NRL franchise began in 2000 as an equal joint venture between two foundation clubs.
I don’t know, but it looks more like politics than anything else.
Maybe they’re after another seat on the board?
Balmain won’t get a sole ticket, probably neither will Wests.

Nutz

Bench
Not just a haircut , throwing in a cappuccino will get him to stay.
Have you been to the COE Ned?
All the hype about the joint seems to be a bit over the top as I can't see any physical improvement in our lads. Every other team's players look like athletes, big, strong and fast. Our boys look underdone. We have played out the full 80 two weeks running though.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don’t know, but it looks more like politics than anything else.
Maybe they’re after another seat on the board?
Balmain won’t get a sole ticket, probably neither will Wests.

I think it's bullshit. It doesn't work the way they think it does. They must be so stupid. I'm serious as well.

Tiger05

First Grade
Have you been to the COE Ned?
All the hype about the joint seems to be a bit over the top as I can't see any physical improvement in our lads.

Of course. Anyone who thought training facilities were the issue were kidding themselves. I mean you need to upgrade because it's professional sport but that isn't how it works.

If we can upgrade the team and the coaching staff can get them playing well together well that'll make a difference.

Nutz

Bench
Of course. Anyone who thought training facilities were the issue were kidding themselves. I mean you need to upgrade because it's professional sport but that isn't how it works.

If we can upgrade the team and the coaching staff can get them playing well together well that'll make a difference.
We trained on cow paddocks and had a barbell and dumbbell set of weights, still managed to win grandfinals.
The COE is a great facility though. I'm highlighting that the spoof from our previous administration regarding the construction of the COE was a lot to do with saving their arse more so with results.

Latest posts