What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Appreciation thread

Danish

Referee
Thought I'd start a thread of this brilliant and thoroughly under-appreciated training method.

In my opinion nothing beats plain old running for weight loss, and just general fitness. Anyone can do it, it costs nothing, you don't need to worry about trying to use proper technique (1 foot in front of the other is easy enough to figure out) and providing you keep it up you WILL see results.

I've started running 3 times per week for the last 6 months. Combined with a change in diet I've yielded some fantastic results. 13kg shed so far along with 16cm lost off the waistline. Started out running 5km a go, could barely manage to run 500 metres without having to walk at the beginning. I'd vary 750m of running with 250m of walking, then gradually built up to longer running and less walking and now power through 7km at around 5'30"/km.

Goals moving forward are the sutho 2 surf (11km), city2surf (14km) and a marathon in september.... although this may drop to a half marathon if I am not certain.

So anyone else here a runner? If so what do you run and how often, what events are you entered in this year, opinions on treating blisters, what shoes to wear, what gear you may use (GPS tracking watch, iphone app), plus whatever else.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hate it.

I just can't get into it unless I'm training with a footy team. Running for the sake of running bores me.

I run a fair bit.

I agree running is the number 1 thing you can do to improve fitness and lose weight. It's probably one of the hardest things to do as well.

On mondays I play touch, Tuesdays are 6-10km run Wednesdays 1.5km swim, Thursdays are Intervals 10x400m @ 1min30-1min40 pace for each interval.. I change my intervals from week to week. This week I am going to do 5X800m @ 3.20 pace. Some weeks ill do a bunch of 400m 200m and 100m. And fridays a bit of boxing.

I want to get consistant 10km in <45min, consitant 5km in <20min and 2.4km in low 9mins. At the moment I am at 10km in 49min, 5km in 21min and 2.4 in 10min. I havnt done a 2.4 for a while though, I have a fitness test next wednesday so ill see how I go.

Shorty

Staff member
I don't do heaps of it, I'm more weight training but it's good for stress release.

JoeD

First Grade
Just started running regularly too although so far its all been on the treadmill. (Too dark and wet in the mornings to run outside right now). i'm training for the Auckland Half marathon in October. The main reason I signed up to do it is because you get to run over the harbour bridge but now that I've started I'm enjoying it. I've only been going a couple weeks but I'm up to doing 10km in around 55 minutes. I've lost a couple kilos as well.

RHCP

Bench
Wow mate, great results. Good luck with the goals as well.

But personally, I can't stand running. Apart from drills at training, just jogging bores me and I struggle to stay motivated. High intensity interval training is more satisfying and effective for me, I struggle with constant moderate exertion things like jogging but repeat sprinting etc. isn't quite a toil.

I don't do heaps of it, I'm more weight training but it's good for stress release.

I was doing weights for the last 6 months of last year and having a high calorie intake to bulk up.. Got up to 88kg, didnt like the way I looked, cut the weights away and just went all cardio and bodyweight exercises, Heaves, pushups, dips, situps etc bodyweight exercises + swimming have given me pretty good definition and the running has just stripped all the fat away.. I am down to 74kg now. It just fell off when I started running more. Lost a lot of muscle in the process as well though.

Shorty

Staff member
I was doing weights for the last 6 months of last year and having a high calorie intake to bulk up.. Got up to 88kg, didnt like the way I looked, cut the weights away and just went all cardio and bodyweight exercises, Heaves, pushups, dips, situps etc bodyweight exercises + swimming have given me pretty good definition and the running has just stripped all the fat away.. I am down to 74kg now. It just fell off when I started running more. Lost a lot of muscle in the process as well though.
I should say resistance training.
I do mostly bodyweight stuff, and lots of isometrics...and you're right it does make you look a lot more toned.
I do miss DBs for curls though, my guns have shrunk:lol:

I'm sure I know it under a different name, but what are heaves?

I'm sure I know it under a different name, but what are heaves?

In military terms they are an overgrasp chin up.. But I think the term heave can be used for any form of chin up, wide grip, close grip, hammer grip, overgrasp, undergrasp.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Im planning to get seriously into it when I move houses next month. I have been off an on over the last 2 years but I get knee pain If I do too much on hard surfaces. I discovered barefoot running and minimalist running recently, that seemed to improve alot of the aches and pains. I can actually run for the fun of it now rather than doing it as a chore.

GuardDog

Juniors
i hate it but i feel its a necessity for fitness and maintaing mental toughness for me,not to mention stress relief

Danish

Referee
Im planning to get seriously into it when I move houses next month. I have been off an on over the last 2 years but I get knee pain If I do too much on hard surfaces. I discovered barefoot running and minimalist running recently, that seemed to improve alot of the aches and pains. I can actually run for the fun of it now rather than doing it as a chore.

Yeah I used to get knee pain a lot when running, got a pair of Nike Free 3.0's and after a couple months the pain just stopped. The insoles of my shoes also used to slide out the back of my shoe all the time before getting the nikes, now they stay put.

i think the whole barefoot running thing really does help correct any poor technique you have naturally as they force you to run smoothly and make even contact with the ground

Cliffhanger

Coach
f**k yes! I love running do 10-12 ks most weekdays and 17-20ks in the morning on weekends. Best feeling ever and the breakfast smoothie becomes the best thing in the world.

Goal is to do North Face 100k in under 12 hours next year.

Thomas

First Grade
Running is awesome. I love it. I used to run competitively as a teenager but then slacked off when I hit 30. I started doing it again 18 months ago when I found my waistline expanding and now run at least 3 times a week. Like Angry_Eel, run either barefoot or in minimalist shoes like Vibrams or the Merril Trail Gloves.

My big issue is that I always try to run fast. Some days I need to put away the watch and just run. I did 5kms on the weekend in 23 minutes which I am happy with. Looking to run the Bridge to Brisbane this year in about 50mins.

Thomas

First Grade
I wear the Vibrams if I am running on smooth surfaces such as roads or footpaths. If I am running off road I wear the Trail Gloves which look just like a normal shoe but are very loose around the toe and have a cleat-like sole. Great for muddy trails and off-road stuff.

If I am running on grass I will just go barefoot. I do get some nasty blisters on my feet from my vibrams if I run more than 8km in them. I guess it means I need to break my feet in a bit more.

abpanther

Staff member
I've gotten back into the running, although slackened off a bit lately.

I've realised I enjoy running much more than swimming, despite trying so hard to swap the two as swimming also gives you an upper body workout.

I work in a National Park so I&#8217;ve been running on tracks and off road, makes it a much more enjoyable experience.

I got up to around 102kgs, started running (with some swimming and big dietary changes) and lost 12 kgs in about 2 months.

I run in some really old asics, I think I need to buy some new shoes, I don&#8217;t think I could do the whole barefoot thing.

gUt

Coach
I walk home from the train station, it's about 5 k's. I want to start to convert this walk into a run, gradually increasing the distance. Problem is I carry a bag with work gear (clothes, laptop, other stuff) that bounces around annoyingly. Can anyone recommend a good bag for running?

Cliffhanger

Coach
I've gotten back into the running, although slackened off a bit lately.

I've realised I enjoy running much more than swimming, despite trying so hard to swap the two as swimming also gives you an upper body workout.

I work in a National Park so I’ve been running on tracks and off road, makes it a much more enjoyable experience.

I got up to around 102kgs, started running (with some swimming and big dietary changes) and lost 12 kgs in about 2 months.

I run in some really old asics, I think I need to buy some new shoes, I don’t think I could do the whole barefoot thing.
I reccomend a pair of north face runners. They cost over 200 bucks but come with a lifetime guarantee and are worth it. They're water proof yet breatheable

I have am on about my 7th pair of asics. Currently using Evolution 5's but previously have had Kayano 7 9 10 12s 14 16. I changed to evolution because aparently its better for flat feet and overpronaters. Although the evolution is a good shoe I think I will go back to kayanos. I will never buy a runner other than asics though.