What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer to meet with NRL this week

possm

Coach
Russell Packer will move a step closer to a return to rugby league when he meets NRL officials on Tuesday for the first time since his release from jail in January.

Packer and his management have requested the meeting to discuss the requirements needing to be met for the former New Zealand Warriors prop to be given the green light to play for St George Illawarra. He has been training with St George Illawarra's NSW Cup team in readiness for his NRL return. The Dragons are hopeful it will be at some stage this season, but the NRL is waiting to sign off on his registration.

The NRL's major concern with Packer is alcohol-related education and rehabilitation to prove he has overcome the issues that led to him being sentenced to two years in jail for an assault in Sydney in 2013. The NRL is keen for Packer to go through similar educational and social requirements that Blake Ferguson met before he was allowed to resume with the Sydney Roosters after years of off-field misdemeanours while at the Canberra Raiders.

Packer has had problems with alcohol since his teenage years, and despite not touching a drop in prison, still has to prove to the NRL he won't repeat his mistakes. As part of his parole conditions, Packer, who never played a game for Newcastle after signing with the club for 2013, has to undertake rehabilitation courses of his own. The 25-year-old has been training with the Illawarra Cutters since last month.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...george-illawarra-dragons-20150308-13yezp.html

I hope the meeting goes well and Packer's contract can be registered without delay.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I doubt that they would have asked if they weren't ready. Let's hope he's beaten his demons and can star for the Dragons while resurrecting his life. Certainly it would be a fillip for the club.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Didn't realise he hasn't played since 2013, I thought it was 2014. He has had 2 years away from the game. That may sway things in his favour. 2 years in jail is a long time away from teh family and plenty of time to be rehabiltated.

Mr Red

First Grade
Didn't realise he hasn't played since 2013, I thought it was 2014. He has had 2 years away from the game. That may sway things in his favour. 2 years in jail is a long time away from teh family and plenty of time to be rehabiltated.

mate he played the entire 2013 season. he was charged November 2013 well after the season had finished.
although getting a 2 year sentence he didn't serve the entire 2 years.
so only 1 year away from playing..

love my saints

Juniors
mate he played the entire 2013 season. he was charged November 2013 well after the season had finished.
although getting a 2 year sentence he didn't serve the entire 2 years.
so only 1 year away from playing..

One year that cost him $440k and whatever he has lost from non payments so far this year.
Paid a pretty big price already for his stupid actions.

spearby

Juniors
One year that cost him $440k and whatever he has lost from non payments so far this year.
Paid a pretty big price already for his stupid actions.

not a stupid action a very bad assault kicking a kid on the ground sent to jail deport him now. I don't care if he never plays r/l again

Mr Red

First Grade
according to the legal system he has served his time. although i dont agree with his actions, nor do i think the dragons should sign him (purely because i dont rate him, nothing to do with the crime), i dont believe anyone has the right to prevent the guy from earning an income.

spearby

Juniors
Fortunately we don't care what you care about.

fair enough. these thugs are not wanted in rugby league what if he did it to you or some one in your family I bet it would be a different story. it would be hang the bastard. but if st George are that hard up for players you get what you deserve .

jenninga

First Grade
fair enough. these thugs are not wanted in rugby league what if he did it to you or some one in your family I bet it would be a different story. it would be hang the bastard. but if st George are that hard up for players you get what you deserve .

It's why Rugby League is struggling atm,where have all the thugs gone.
Bring em back,and Roy Masters as coach.

bottle

Coach
Any thugs at the Tiges?
Mitchell Moses?

spearby

Juniors
Are you Mitchell Moses?
I've never heard of lettece, is it a flowering plant?

how good are you one is put in jail for a criminal offence one wont even get 1 week for a high tackle .stop taking your self in hand lad

Latest posts