What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

Lovemedragons

Juniors
“The Tigers have tabled a four-year-deal worth about $700,000-a-season,” Hooper told NRL Tonight.

Tigers have thrown ridiculous overs for him if true, I love Packer and what he's done for the team but 700k is a bit too much for him.
Tigers would see this as a bargain after what they were willing to pay Woods. He can just about be considered an elite prop being an NZ starter, what is an elite prop worth?

ALSGI

Bench
He's served his time and will have his criminal record for ever and so he should for his crime.He's earned every dollar Dragons have paid him since and will hopefully continue to earn it in 2017. I'm guessing he will always be greatful for the opportunity, as most of us be greatful for his efforts.

He doesn't owe Dragons anything else.

Hope he stays in the RedV but if he goes he goes, don't care where or for how much and wish him and any departing players good luck (except against Dragons).

Next please.

Bench
Personally I think he is one of best front row players in the game. Wherever he goes I wish him all the best, except when we play against him.
We gave him the opportunity to turn his life and career around and the club should be applauded for doing that.
It's not a done deal yet, so there is a chance he might stay.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Millward is stupid. He should have
signed Dugan and Packer up earlier. As the season wears on the asking price of players escalates due to salary cap increases, representative duty and other clubs wanting to replace players who have accepted lucrative offers from other clubs.

blacksafake

First Grade
“The Tigers have tabled a four-year-deal worth about $700,000-a-season,” Hooper told NRL Tonight.

Tigers have thrown ridiculous overs for him if true, I love Packer and what he's done for the team but 700k is a bit too much for him.
Well if this is the case good luck to him. He'd be crazy not to take it, even though I hope it's all bs & he stays. If true it makes Hunts signing a bargain.

700k a year wow not surprised though as The Tigers are a basket case.

I wonder if they could entice Wakeman back from the UK or that bridge may have burned for good.

FlameThrower

Bench
Sorry, but the way the Tigers are throwing money around with every second player linked to them, I expect to see them in salary cap dramas in a few years again.
They are being forced to pay way over market value, and comparing the previous 'big 4' wages is fool hardy. They are still paying for Farrah, plus an ex coach or two...

Makes the offer to Vaughan seem like a really good deal.

If Rusty does go you would see the club sign an established prop which imo i don't see happening or Lawrie, Kerr getting moved up.

I am not counting out Hind either he is a no nonsense prop who is still young enough to learn and develop.

Add to that big Mose looks like he's on the way out back to the UK and Mathews may head that way to.

mobels

Juniors
Sorry, but the way the Tigers are throwing money around with every second player linked to them, I expect to see them in salary cap dramas in a few years again.
They are being forced to pay way over market value, and comparing the previous 'big 4' wages is fool hardy. They are still paying for Farrah, plus an ex coach or two...
Adding on to the 700k a season for Mautalino, 750k for Reynolds and the reported 600k a season offer for Lolohea, they're really not fixing their issues by paying overs for mid range players.

Ivan's got a big task ahead of him

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Is it just me or do you guys think Russell should be showing some loyalty to the dragons who helped him get shit together and life back on track after jail?

Haven't really seen that side of things being mentioned in regards to Packers negotiations. I mean I get it that he would have big dollars being thrown at him, but without the dragons taking him in he wouldn't be in this position in the first place?

mickeylane

Bench
Personally I think he is one of best front row players in the game. Wherever he goes I wish him all the best, except when we play against him.
We gave him the opportunity to turn his life and career around and the club should be applauded for doing that.
It's not a done deal yet, so there is a chance he might stay.
THERE IS NO CHANCE IN THE WORLD WE CAN AFFORD $700K A AEASON FOR PACKER UNLESS DUGAN IS CUT LOOSE...IM RESIGNED TO LOSING HIM WHICH IS TERRIBLE NEWS...MILLWARD HAS DROPPED THE BALL ON THIS...HES TAKEN WAY TOO LONG TO RE SIGN HIM
They are saying The Dragons offer is 3 years 600k per year . The Tigers 4 years 700k per year .
If what your saying is correct we need to just to add the 4th year and he stays on $600K...that I'm certain of...

Mark D

Juniors
New to the group and a 40 year dragons supporter.... Would like Russell to stay for a number of reason . Apart from his form being on the improve almost every game he is also very durable , rarely injured and his story with saints is a remarkable one..Nonetheless if he goes wish him well then top up Duges and get on with it.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
It seems all was coming together with players hitting great form making me optimistic about 2017 & 18 but other clubs are now seeing what our players are capable of and want to entice them away from the mighty RED V. We spent so long in the doldrums, finally we look like we are coming out of it but at the expense of losing some of our best players. Donkeys, Rorters etc must have exceptional good 3rd party deals to keep signing and retaining the best players in the NRL.

Clifferd

Coach
Adding on to the 700k a season for Mautalino, 750k for Reynolds and the reported 600k a season offer for Lolohea, they're really not fixing their issues by paying overs for mid range players.

Ivan's got a big task ahead of him

Hate to burst your bubble but tigers still have plenty of room left.

Don't forget we still have Farah and sironens contract to pay off still which is close to a mil for 2 players, which of course will be null next year onwards

Plus the 2.5mil+ we were about to spend on the small 3

Also the matulino contract was confirmed 475k

Bench
He has signed with the NFL team Green Bay. He has accepted less money after team management said they will change team name to Green Bay Packers

monsterkev

Juniors
So we sign this guy from jail, take him in, help him to rebuild his life and at the same time attain a prop who could help take us to a premiership, and then just let him go....we need to hold onto this guy if we are serious.
We can't afford what the tigers are prepared to pay so we may not have much choice
We took him on when no one else wanted him now it looks like he will not repay the faith shown by the dragons he's not just being let go
He's asking price is way to high
One game of rep footy and
All of a sudden a player is worth Hundreds of thousands of dollars more
If it is about dollars then he will have to go

Latest posts