What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

hazzbeen

Bench
How many other clubs have their recruitment people saying what position people will be playing?
The disharmony with Dugan came after Millward getting in front of the cameras making statements that were not required and it proved destabilising.
People now blaming Dugan which is bull shit as he merely defended his position as to playing FB which was also confirmed by the coach.
Millward should just stay in the background and do his work and say absolutely nothing.
If Duges does sign on what they call centers money , and is asked to play fullback he can tell them to " stick it " . Millward should never have came out with we are only going to pay him centers money . I can see this becoming messy in the future if players are signed money to a certain position .....

possm

Coach
If Duges does sign on what they call centers money , and is asked to play fullback he can tell them to " stick it " . Millward should never have came out with we are only going to pay him centers money . I can see this becoming messy in the future if players are signed money to a certain position .....
The centre money tag was a huge mistake and the prime reason for the MESS with Dugan. Millward needs to walk this back and make it understood that, under our cap constraints, this is our offer. If Dugan walks sign another or promote a junior.

If this happened prior to season start, we would not be embroiled in this turmoil. More importantly, we would probably have signed all the players we wanted to keep.

Clifferd

Coach
It's only the Tigers who have to pay overs right now to be fair. Their fans are praising their recruitment but to be honest, I don't think it's been that great. Packer is their first decent target.
Matulino - Hasn't been the same player he was in 2014. Can he really re-capture his best form?
McQueen - I'm sorry but I really don't rate this bloke at all, I think he is one of the biggest bums in the NRL
Reynolds - Tries hard, but he's far too rocks and diamonds, not to mention they paid him a ridiculous amount of money.
Losing Tedesco - Biggest loss in their club's history, he will go on to be one of the best fullbacks of all time with the Roosters.
Losing Moses - Moses is twice the player Brooks is.
Lolohea (speculation) - He's young, but he's also very average if we're being honest here. Nothing more than a decent winger right now, he's not the fullback to save them from the loss of Teddy.

We spent the money we would've used on the 3 players for around 6-8 quality nrl players

Renoylds is a huge upgrade on Moses. And experienced. We were going to pay Moses 1 mil. We nabbed Renoylds for 750k
= we win
Woods was offered around the 800k mark, lost him and got an equal If not better prop in matulino for 475k
= we win
Now Tedesco is a big loss no worth arguing but we offered him 1.2mil
= loss

We paid Brooks 550k, once again I don't think that's overs and he's shown over the past few weeks he's better than Moses

Add to that the possible signing of Packer, Lolohea,

McQueen and a few depth players I don't think we've done too bad

Anyway getting off topic now but thought I'd add my 2 cents lol

ALSGI

Bench
I for one would have been disapointed if Widdop was extended early, even after 3-4 rounds I wasn't convinced. My meltdown would have come if Lafai was extended early on and yet here we are after 10 rounds in 2nd and I'd be delighted if Lafai was extended.
That's footy.
After another 16 rounds, hopefully some finals footy who knows where we'll be or which players are extended or not.
Will McCrone, Nighty and Milne be extended?
I would like to see our juniors get a shot over the next few weeks but either way in 10 months time they'll be older and ready to replace who ever we don't hold onto.

If it came down to brass tacks I'd do what I could do to keep packer and sign lolohea and play him at full back and let Dugan be someone else's financial problem at least you wouldn't lose lolohea at origin time

red rocket

Juniors
My crystal ball tells me have no fear........reveal day is very close......thank you for the complement...thats if your not winding me up
2ky big sports breakfast this morning reported tigers have offered packer 700 thousand a season for four years love the guy but that is overs. By by packer thanks and good luck

ALSGI

Bench
2ky big sports breakfast this morning reported tigers have offered packer 700 thousand a season for four years love the guy but that is overs. By by packer thanks and good luck
What is the Dragons offer rumoured to be? Does anyone know? Either way, he'd be crazy to knock back that sort of coin.
Good luck to him hope he has a a great year with us.

FlameThrower

Bench
Man, I'm over these contract negotiations- it's taking too long and rumour mill is on fire. Like it or not, this stuff has the potential to derail and destabilise our team and season.
Money and greed brings out the worst in people and why we can't have all of this contract stuff done in the off season. The NRL and players association have been very quiet while this mayhem with clubs and players has been going on...

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Millward is stupid. He should have
signed Dugan and Packer up earlier. As the season wears on the asking price of players escalates due to salary cap increases, representative duty and other clubs wanting to replace players who have accepted lucrative offers from other clubs.

Thats the reason they wouldn't sign earlier because everyone new salary cap was increasing.

SEAT 1A

Bench
He's served his time and will have his criminal record for ever and so he should for his crime.He's earned every dollar Dragons have paid him since and will hopefully continue to earn it in 2017. I'm guessing he will always be greatful for the opportunity, as most of us be greatful for his efforts.

He doesn't owe Dragons anything else.

Hope he stays in the RedV but if he goes he goes, don't care where or for how much and wish him and any departing players good luck (except against Dragons).

Next please.

Well said ALSGI, I agree. Either way, good luck to the bloke.

I'm presuming he has done everything asked of him and if he is happy with the Dragons offer he will stay.

Drakon

Juniors
Man, I'm over these contract negotiations- it's taking too long and rumour mill is on fire. Like it or not, this stuff has the potential to derail and destabilise our team and season.
Money and greed brings out the worst in people and why we can't have all of this contract stuff done in the off season. The NRL and players association have been very quiet while this mayhem with clubs and players has been going on...
It would be nice if it could happen in the off season except players start training at their new clubs around Nov1. In many cases they wouldn't know where to start training!

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Is it just me or do you guys think Russell should be showing some loyalty to the dragons who helped him get shit together and life back on track after jail?

Haven't really seen that side of things being mentioned in regards to Packers negotiations. I mean I get it that he would have big dollars being thrown at him, but without the dragons taking him in he wouldn't be in this position in the first place?

Agree but I am going to wait and see which way he goes he may still stay.
Its no all over yet

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Hazz
That was the dumbest thing that Millward has done.
He sould keep his thoughts to himself.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The retention of forwards apart from
Packer has been good but the retention of backs has been poor apart from Hunt with Dugan, Lafai, Mann and Milne unsigned after 2017 and Nightingale in limbo. We are weak in the backs and need to sure up our stocks of quality players.