What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

Emu01

Juniors
Remember when Russell Packer was going to be deported back to New Zealand for having a criminal conviction and not being an Australian citizen.

It was touch and go for a while if he was staying or going.

Only for the Dragons fans starting the online petion Packer wouldn't even be aloud to live in Australia!

For Gods sake we saved him big time.

He owes the fans to stay with saints/Illawarra..

Simon

Juniors
Remember when Russell Packer was going to be deported back to New Zealand for having a criminal conviction and not being an Australian citizen.

Only for the Dragons fans starting the online petion Packer wouldn't even be aloud to live in Australia!

Come on now...... A petition by Dragons fans kept him in the country. I think that's a bit far fetched, the politicians would not of taken that into consideration.

They may have taken his employment with the club.

In saying that I can never begrudge a player chasing money, they're only in the game for a short period and who amongst us wouldn't change jobs if a competitor of our current employer made an offer to good to refuse.

Old Timer

Coach
The notion that a Packer owes us is ridiculous
We needed a prop and he needed a club
Compatible business agreement
We didn't buy him to rehabilitate him we bought him to play football and he undertook rehabilitation by his own accord
Therefore there is no debt or obligation other than he may like the club, players and surroundings and may feel that his life is all the better for being part of the Dragon family
He had contributed to our club in a most professional and honest manner and I truly hoped he stays but not because people thinks he owes us but because he wants to.

Gareth67

First Grade
My dear old Dad ( may the good lord bless his soul ) once said to me " Cecil , there will be times in your life when you are down and may believe that you are beaten , but always remember one thing - it ain't over until the fat lady sings "

Now I am not suggesting that young Russell is fat , but until he sings that he is leaving and is therefore abandoning the sunny beaches of Wollongong for the rat race of Sydney I will heed my old man's advice and not panic .

What happens , will happen , we unfortunately do not have any control over the situation . My suggestion , with respect , is that we all have a few ales and wait for the final verdict .

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
We didn't buy him to rehabilitate him we bought him to play football and he undertook rehabilitation by his own accord
Therefore there is no debt or obligation other than he may like the club, players and surroundings and may feel that his life is all the better for being part of the Dragon family
He had contributed to our club in a most professional and honest manner and I truly hoped he stays but not because people thinks he owes us but because he wants to.
Oldtimer stop talking sense again .....:)

mickeylane

Bench
btw all this talk that Packer is managed by Paul Sutton (same manager as Dugan, Widdop) is incorrect - Packers agent is George Mimis....
Packer will stay and Dugan will leave and Gagai will arrive is what I believe will happen....

Bench
btw all this talk that Packer is managed by Paul Sutton (same manager as Dugan, Widdop) is incorrect - Packers agent is George Mimis....
Packer will stay and Dugan will leave and Gagai will arrive is what I believe will happen....
Is that from a sauce. I hope your right

possm

Coach
Does anyone have a theory on why all our forwards except for Packer were extended early. For whatever the reason, this has been a poor move, making Packer a key media talking point. It is my opinion that, if extended early this year, Packers contract price would be hundreds of thousands of dollars less than we are about to settle for if we are successful in retaining his services. Same applies to our marquee players and key first grade players still unsigned for 2018.

Such a mess.

BennyV

Referee
The difference is that we were the only option for Packer, whereas there were other options for us to go for props. He needed us more than we needed him.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
My dear old Dad ( may the good lord bless his soul ) once said to me " Cecil , there will be times in your life when you are down and may believe that you are beaten , but always remember one thing " it ain't over until the fat lady sings"

Now I am not suggesting that young Russell is fat , but until he sings that he is leaving and is therefore abandoning the sunny beaches of Wollongong for the rat race of Sydney I will heed my old man's advice and not panic .

What happens , will happen , we unfortunately do not have any control over the situation . My suggestion , with respect , is that we all have a few ales and wait for the final verdict .

Your dad was a smart man.
As I have said before don't stress gareth.
I will work out

ALSGI

Bench
If Packer doesn't get off the nudie run he'll be arrested and deported - regardless of where he signs.

Old Timer

Coach
The difference is that we were the only option for Packer, whereas there were other options for us to go for props. He needed us more than we needed him.
As I said we didn't buy him to rehabilitate him.
He was a very good economical choice for us and recruitment got his signing 100% correct and should be applauded for it.
Whether Packer had no other choice or not is irrelevant in this matter and as I said he owes us nothing other than his continued best efforts and I believe he gives that in abundance.

mickeylane

Bench
Is that from a sauce. I hope your right
The Packer information is 100% correct and reported across multiple media outlets..
The rest is my theory but I'm certain thats the game that Paul Sutton is playing on behalf of Dugan - it doesn't make sense if u want to stay w the club why wouldn't you sign immediately - it doesn't take 3 months to negotiate an increase in salary..

His Management is waiting for all levels of interest for Dugan to come in - Im 100% certain he's looking for a 4 year deal that will be heavily back ended as the cap increases....I just think The Bulldogs, Tigers and Titans if they lose Hayne to the Eels will go in for Dugan but i think the smokey here is Sharks now they have lost Bird...they need a gun to replace him and I'm think that they will go for Gagai or Dugan .

Im also certain we will look at Gagai if Dugan goes.

BennyV

Referee
As I said we didn't buy him to rehabilitate him.
He was a very good economical choice for us and recruitment got his signing 100% correct and should be applauded for it.
Whether Packer had no other choice or not is irrelevant in this matter and as I said he owes us nothing other than his continued best efforts and I believe he gives that in abundance.
Disagree, it's not irrelevant at al! Yes, he was an economical choice and a good one for us, but if we had opted to not go down that path we could have found props elsewhere. He had no other option. It was us taking the chance on him, not the other way around.

I agree that he shouldn't be signing with us on loyalty alone, but to claim that he owes us nothing is ridiculous. If we didn't sign him, his football career was over.

Old Timer

Coach
Disagree, it's not irrelevant at al! Yes, he was an economical choice and a good one for us, but if we had opted to not go down that path we could have found props elsewhere. He had no other option. It was us taking the chance on him, not the other way around.

I agree that he shouldn't be signing with us on loyalty alone, but to claim that he owes us nothing is ridiculous. If we didn't sign him, his football career was over.
Benny of course we had other choices but he was by far and away the best choice $ for $.
Did we buy from the goodness of our heart or in the belief we could get a contract registered?
Without Packer's personal commitment and determination to rehabilitate we would never have got his contract registered so he has already fulfilled all his obligations.
At that time we were the only club willing to consider taking him on but he had to languish initially in nowhere land, then reggies with no guarantee of 1st grade ever eventuating as it was a matter for the NRL.
Everyone is blindly assuming that if we didn't take Packer his career was over which is just plain stupid because he could have continued on with his rehabilitation for 2 years and showed his worth as a member of society and played football in a non NRL environment and perhaps been picked up by another club in a similar situation to Dave Taylor and several others.
Packer is a very positive sort of person and I have no doubt that he would have found a way with or without us as he understands he f**ked up and is willing to make huge sacrifices to be a better person.
The notion that he owes us something is ridiculous and doesn't pay enough credit to Packer for what he has done for himself and as a by product our club has prospered as well.
He could have easily been a Dane Nielsen and he chose not to be all power to Russell.

ALSGI

Bench
Agree 100% OT.
Owes us nothing except gratitude and 100% commitment whilst under contract which he has demonstrated in buckets.

Actually, he's smashed Dugan twice this year, maybe he should give us 110% for the rest of his contract?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Remember when Russell Packer was going to be
deported back to New Zealand for having a criminal conviction and not being an Australian citizen.

bigtime.jpg

Latest posts