What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

twinkletoes

Juniors
Disappointing

But I really think it was just a case of Tigers willing to pay more

Someone will fill the hole
Unfortunately there is no one to fill that role....all our young forwards will take a number of years to get that intensity and mongrel that he has brought to the team this season. This is a major loss and will severely affect the performance of our pack next season.

St Georgio

Juniors
This prick almost killed a guy, we give a second chance and repays us by signing a contract with the tigers, f**k you Packer you scumbag, I have no respect for him anymore, pack your bags and f**k off now!

TomRedVRiver

Bench
The club now needs to go all out for Nelson Asofa-Solomona. He is the only replacement on the current market that I would be happy with.
I am loving the progression and development of our juniors, but they are untested. Solomona is a beast and has proven that at NRL.
We CANNOT afford to lose our go forward. It is winning us games.

Big loss.

possm

Coach
Inept Millward has Dragons scrambling for a hardened prop after messing up the extension of Russell Packer's contract. Played by Packer's manager, Millward is now on course to pay overs for Dugan or lose another key first grader.

Now is the time to ask yourself, should we have lost 1 or 2 juniors or fringe first graders and kept Packer by paying him 100k more for the next four years, or taken a risk that the young juniors would make first grade. I'm not talking about Kerr/Lawrie/Sele, I'm talking about one or two of the following: Mathews, McCarthy, Hind, and Lewis.

For me it is a no brainer - sign Packer. For Millward as usual it is a MESS

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
Wish they delayed the Vaughan

I'm more shocked that you have less respect for him now than when he almost killed a guy
Yep. They're a weird bunch these hardcore fans

I reckon we can grab the chequebook and scour the prison cells for another prop

possm

Coach
Disappointing

But I really think it was just a case of Tigers willing to pay more

Someone will fill the hole
What! The difference was one extra year and an extra 100k on the offer we tabled. The extra year, I don't see as a problem and the extra 100k is the loss of one fringe first grader - replaced by a junior.

Millward got played by Packer's manager because he does not have the skills to perform the tasks set for the job. What a mess, a Millward mess.

Inept Millward has Dragons scrambling for a hardened prop after missing up the extension of Russell Packer's contract. Played by Packer's manager, Millward is now on course to pay overs for Dugan or lose another key first grader.

Now is the time to ask yourself, should we have lost 1 or 2 juniors or fringe first graders and kept Packer by paying him 100k more for the next four years, or taken a risk that the young juniors would make first grade. I'm not talking about Kerr/Lawrie/Sele, I'm talking about one or two of the following: Mathews, McCarthy, Hind, and Lewis.

For me it is a no brainer - sign Packer. For Millward as usual it is a MESS
The mess would have been so if we paid Packer the extra dollars. Just because another clubs wants someone more desperately, does not mean we should risk breaching our cap just to get into a bidding war with them. Good luck to Rusty, I hope he enjoys those extra dollars.We will fill his spot without wasting $750k cap space.

As someone said, chase Asofa. He is a beast with mongrel. Pretty sure Rusty's $600k would get him.

What! The difference was one extra year and an extra 100k on the offer we tabled. The extra year, I don't see as a problem and the extra 100k is the loss of one fringe first grader - replaced by a junior.

Millward got played by Packer's manager because he does not have the skills to perform the tasks set for the job. What a mess, a Millward mess.
According to quotes I read, the difference was $1.2 mil over 4 years. Just a tad more than $100k

possm

Coach
The mess would have been so if we paid Packer the extra dollars. Just because another clubs wants someone more desperately, does not mean we should risk breaching our cap just to get into a bidding war with them. Good luck to Rusty, I hope he enjoys those extra dollars.We will fill his spot without wasting $750k cap space.

As someone said, chase Asofa. He is a beast with mongrel. Pretty sure Rusty's $600k would get him.
Do you really believe Millward can land Asofa? I would be very surprised. The two great recruits signed by Millward for this season - and they are proving to be great players - are Vaught, unwanted by the Raiders and mostly playing reserve grade, and McInnes, unwanted by South Sydney who preferred Cook. No contest from the other Club because they wanted to offload these players.

Millward will have to fight to get Asofa. In the meantime our forward pack power for 2018 has drastically been reduced. Now let's move on to the next mess, Dugan.

What a Millward mess.