What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

possm

Coach
I think the main reason we will be upset if he leaves is that him and Vaughan and McInnes are the best front row we have had in years.
New to the Club, haven't had the luxury of attending the Price/Mary coaching course for years.

possm

Coach
I know 300k over three years is a lot of money, but isn't it every players dream to win a premiership ?

Apparently our offer is 600k and the tigers is 700k, is it worth accepting less then 100k per year to stay with the club that you've worked and built a premiership contending team?

For some players I guess it is just a business and at the end of the day are just there to make ends meat and don't have a title dream in mind. I guess packer is happy to retire without a premiership
I think the main sticking point is the Dragon's 3yr deal v the Tigers 4yr deal. And that makes it a 400k difference and an extra year of security. I'd rather we retain him but if Millward can't manage that, we need to replace him with a top grade prop; maybe Graham.

Our juniors Sele, Kerr and Lawrie should compete with the likes of Sim and Ah Mau for a first grade spot. We need to replace like with like and have at least two hardened props for season 2018 on.

CarrrnDragons

Juniors
without TPA's we cannot sign everyone...Packer if as reported, has got a significant upgrade and well done to him.. Cant begrudge him that after 2 years out of the game in the lockup. plus he does not have the head for TV contract after retirment... But as with Merrin at $700k... gone but now forgotten.. We cant pay $750 to packer without causing disharmony with the rest of the squad... Frizzell, JDB, Vaughan, Thompson, Sims who would all be on less than that and dare I say offer more..
balancing a squad is a juggling effort...Move Sims to starting prop and Kerr, Lawrie or another $300-400k prop into rotation

FlameThrower

Bench
Completely over this soap opera. All Clubs now have a departure lounge with players either moved on or being poached ...it affects team spirit and can derail your season.
This should not be happening mid season and the NRL has just sat back and let this happen.
If in Europe soccer players can move across countries during the player transfer window - why can't the NRL sort this out ( we are mostly on the Oz East Coast, plus Auckland) and in most cases players moving across town, for crying out loud!!!

Gareth67

First Grade
Completely over this soap opera. All Clubs now have a departure lounge with players either moved on or being poached ...it affects team spirit and can derail your season.
This should not be happening mid season and the NRL has just sat back and let this happen.
If in Europe soccer players can move across countries during the player transfer window - why can't the NRL sort this out ( we are mostly on the Oz East Coast, plus Auckland) and in most cases players moving across town, for crying out loud!!!

Said that a couple of weeks ago . Absolutely amazed that the NRL has sat back on their ponderous posteriors and allowed this to occur . Where is the leadership that one expects from the governing body that's runs ' The Greatest Game of All ' ?

Absolutely pathetic , disgusting and anything else that you would like to call it .
I best stop right now , as I do not wish to incur the wrath of the powers to be , however I am sure that I am not the only member that feels this way . The quicker that we all know just which way that Dugan and Packer intend to jump , the better for all .

Let's take that large tablespoon of castor oil now and move on , as this has become a royal pain in the bott !

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
POSSUM and COAST DRAGONS :dragon:

I sincerely hope that you are both correct gentleman , it would be nice to win one on the recruitment front for a change .

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
There was suppose to an announcement on his signing , I believe it was to be Saturday now gone . The new date is for tomorrow , Monday .

Should he leave , I just need to know that the Dragons had indeed done their utmost in attempting to resign the man .

The reported offer was for a 3 year term , which does surprise me , as I truly believed that a fella like young Russell , who would strike the fear of the good lord into anyone , would be signed on a long term contract , possibly 4 years with an option for a 5 th .

However , we shall know soon enough , whatever his decision may be , at least he earned his money with the Dragons , and his toughness against opposition forwards , certainly put a smile on my face on many a occasion .

Gareth we offered 3 years only.
Tigers offered 4 year and extra 300k a year.
What would you do.
I would leave for a extra 1.2 mil.
He gone mate.
Unless he changes his mind

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think resigning Packer or replacing him with another quality seasoned prop is paramount. We will have Hunt here next year, I think he will make a massive difference. Hunt and Widdop playing behind our current pack should look real good, which should also lead to our outside backs looking good too. As long as we can keep a good pack and good pair of halves we should stay competitive, then we should be in a position to attract a top quality fullback, if one becomes available. Maybe Field could be that top quality fullback?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Gotta say I'm a bit surprised at amount of dragons fans fairly upset over packer leaving. To me he's a good first grade prop but is he really that great? Doesn't massively stand out to me. On the other hand give me Vaughan and I'd be doing cartwheels.

Vic
For sure Vaughan is top class. He has it all.

But packer has the ability to scare the other team.
When he and Vaughan are on are go forward is at its peak.
But I see what your saying

I check the nrl web site, Dragons web site, I'm looking at comments on this forum 20 times a day all in the hope that Russ stays with the Mighty Dragons.
Personally I think he is the key to a great year next year.
Our forward pack scares the shit out of most teams and with two world class halves next year I sense magic times again.
If we loose Russell Packer and replace with nobody our forward roll on and aggression isn't the same in the middle.
We have just spent around 1.8 million on our halves for next year so need the big cranky boys in the middle to do there bit.

Gm5

Juniors
Big News On What Club James Graham Will Be Playing For Next Season
Read more here.
Just Now
james-graham-bulldogs-800.jpg

Canterbury captain James Graham says he has been assured by coach Des Hasler he is part of the NRL club's plans for 2018.

The English forward is signed with the Bulldogs until the end of next year, but the signing of prop Aaron Woods has prompted reports Graham could be squeezed out of the club.

The Bulldogs are facing mounting salary cap pressure for next season.

They have also landed Kiwi five-eighth Kieran Foran, while Graham's front-row starting partner Aiden Tolman is signed on until the end of 2020.

The pair have been separately been linked to Newcastle, but Graham said he had been assured by the club he would remain a Bulldog in 2018.

"I've been speaking to Des and the powers that be," Graham told AAP.

"The way I've interpreted it and what's been suggested to me is that I'm going to be here next year. I'm really happy to be a part of Des' plans."

Graham has been at the front and centre of the Bulldogs' speculation this year.

A regular on NRL television programs, he admitted he found it hard to avoid the rumours which suggested he could be forced out of the club.

Hasler has previously rubbished the rumours, and Graham said he did not intentionally seek out the coach to confirm his place at the club.

"We were just talking and it was just a conversation that went that way," he said.

"I asked him a couple of things and I came out of it pretty happy."

Graham turns 32 at the end of next season when he is off contract, and he said he has no plans yet for how long he will play on.

Nor is he committed to whether he will finish his career in the NRL or the English Super League, after he arrived in Australia in 2012 having already previously won the ESL's MVP Man of Steel before.

"I'm very open minded about where I'm going to end up," he said.

"There are too many variables and too many different situations that could arise.

"I wouldn't want to set myself up for disappointment if I said 'I definitely want to stay here' or 'I'm definitely going to go back home'.

"You're only one tackle away from having that taken out of your hands."

Latest posts