What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

Gareth67

First Grade
But we have a chance of keeping duges now

Sorry Dragon Sammy 61 , i would prefer Packer between the two , just my own preference . As he along with Vaughan are the players that have given the Dragons real respect against opposing packs .

And we all realise that has been missing for many years now , we should do everything possible to hold on to that . It may be too late now , however if there was still a chance of retaining his services , I would give him a call , offer him the extra year plus a bit more moola , and see what happens , you can only try , no harm in that .

possm

Coach
Sorry Dragon Sammy 61 , i would prefer Packer between the two , just my own preference . As he along with Vaughan are the players that have given the Dragons real respect against opposing packs .

And we all realise that has been missing for many years now , we should do everything possible to hold on to that . It may be too late now , however if there was still a chance of retaining his services , I would give him a call , offer him the extra year plus a bit more moola , and see what happens , you can only try , no harm in that .
I just wish that Millward did not hold off on Packer. Just sign him and move on to Dugan. Packer would have accepted a 4 year deal at 600k. Just needed to close that one.

verfive

Juniors
I just wish that Millward did not hold off on Packer. Just sign him and move on to Dugan. Packer would have accepted a 4 year deal at 600k. Just needed to close that one.
How do you know what he would have accepted, or for that matter when discussions started.

Bench
How do you know what he would have accepted, or for that matter when discussions started.
Milward on the dragons site said that he had agreed with the players manager that Packer would be done after Widdop and Dugan.
I wonder if that had resulted in Packer looking elsewhere, namely the tigers.
That plan to leave his contract negotiations till after Widdop and Dugan maybe has backfired

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Agree with you gareth.
He may have stayed if they had made a 4 year contract.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
To be honest with you, I think we're just getting outdone by teams who have a lot more money right now. We are definitely feeling the cap pressure, however I still feel as though our offers have been spot on for the player's worth (Dugan 750-800k, Packer 500-600k if reported figures are true).

There's not a lot we can do about desperate teams outbidding us. Our offers were good, if they turn them down to take overs then fair enough.

I find it funny how the Dragons are under cap pressure when other teams basically have better playing rosters.

Regardless of third party payments if you look at the overall squad as a whole the Dragons really don't have alot of fantastic talent outside say 15 to 17 players.

Take into account the number of off contract players they will have some room to bring people in and they could find some good solid first grade players.

On Packer again people are assuimg he has signed with the Tigers based on what exactly rumours from the media and hersay from some one who knows some one.

Until he actually comes out and says I have then i'll believe it until then I will still consider him a Dragon next year.

If its between Packer and Dugan then its Packer without question.

Sorry to say Josh runs the ball hard and defends okay but he just doesn't know how to chime into an attacking movements and spends way to much time injury for the kind of money he is looking for.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Maybe too many players on bigger contracts than what they're worth.Which could be why we are always under cap pressure.
If this is so ( not saying it isn't ) why do so many posters advocate " sign him no matter what " They condem the club when if it took their advice would be in salary cap turmoil . Payed too much for Dugan 1st & 2nd time, Marshall to name a few of the knee jerk signings so when we try to be a lot more circumspect the club still cops shit , particularly Millward.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Well is it official or what??
Lots of hissy fits here and assumptions based on a rumour..

Exactly.

This unconfirmed narrative about Packer had been more drawn out than any Home and Away storyline.

As far as I can tell, Packer didn't announce that he's joining another club yesterday, despite all the pundits suggesting otherwise.

Gm5

Juniors
1494890122794.jpg;pv7b2f7fb8615295c2

Wests Tigers are pleased to announce the signing of New Zealand international forward Russell Packer for the coming four NRL seasons.

The new agreement will see Packer join Wests Tigers for at least the end of 2021.

Packer has played 142 NRL games since making his debut in 2008 and three tests for New Zealand, the most recent being this month’s ANZAC Test in Canberra.

The 27-year-old has taken to the field for the New Zealand Warriors 110 times and the St George Illawarra Dragons on 32 occasions.

Wests Tigers Head Coach Ivan Cleary said that he was looking forward to working with Packer again after giving him his debut in 2008.

"Russell has been one of the standout front-rowers in the NRL this season,” said Cleary.

“He’s a no-nonsense front rower, he really knows what his job is and he delivers and I think he’s only going to get better.

“I think he’s going to have a very strong leadership role here. He’s got a great story, a story of hard knocks and coming out the other side, and that will resonate with lots of the boys here.

“He’s very keen to help us regrow what we have here at Wests Tigers, and they’re the sort of guys we want on board,” he said.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said that Packer’s experience on and off the field will be an asset to the club.

“I’m expecting Russell to bring a lot to Wests Tigers, both on and off the field,” said Pascoe.

“Here’s someone who has turned his life around and is now seeing the results of that change as he steps up to be one of the premier forwards in the game and returns to the International stage.

"As excited as we are with what he will bring to us during the game each week we’re equally excited with the role he’ll play at the club away from the football field,” he said.

“We’ve made some really strong signings over the last month and look forward to welcoming players such as Russell, Josh Reynolds, Ben Matulino and Chris McQueen to the club next season.”

Away from the field Packer is currently undertaking an MBA and was awarded the Mark Coyne Career Development Award for his ongoing studies at the University of Wollongong in 2016.

SBD82

Coach
1494890122794.jpg;pv7b2f7fb8615295c2

Wests Tigers are pleased to announce the signing of New Zealand international forward Russell Packer for the coming four NRL seasons.

The new agreement will see Packer join Wests Tigers for at least the end of 2021.

Packer has played 142 NRL games since making his debut in 2008 and three tests for New Zealand, the most recent being this month’s ANZAC Test in Canberra.

The 27-year-old has taken to the field for the New Zealand Warriors 110 times and the St George Illawarra Dragons on 32 occasions.

Wests Tigers Head Coach Ivan Cleary said that he was looking forward to working with Packer again after giving him his debut in 2008.

"Russell has been one of the standout front-rowers in the NRL this season,” said Cleary.

“He’s a no-nonsense front rower, he really knows what his job is and he delivers and I think he’s only going to get better.

“I think he’s going to have a very strong leadership role here. He’s got a great story, a story of hard knocks and coming out the other side, and that will resonate with lots of the boys here.

“He’s very keen to help us regrow what we have here at Wests Tigers, and they’re the sort of guys we want on board,” he said.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said that Packer’s experience on and off the field will be an asset to the club.

“I’m expecting Russell to bring a lot to Wests Tigers, both on and off the field,” said Pascoe.

“Here’s someone who has turned his life around and is now seeing the results of that change as he steps up to be one of the premier forwards in the game and returns to the International stage.

"As excited as we are with what he will bring to us during the game each week we’re equally excited with the role he’ll play at the club away from the football field,” he said.

“We’ve made some really strong signings over the last month and look forward to welcoming players such as Russell, Josh Reynolds, Ben Matulino and Chris McQueen to the club next season.”

Away from the field Packer is currently undertaking an MBA and was awarded the Mark Coyne Career Development Award for his ongoing studies at the University of Wollongong in 2016.
f**k.

Latest posts