What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

Life's Good

Coach
Any update on Packer??I have a funny feeling he has signed with the Tigers and he is in the 10 day cooling off period(couple of my Tiger mates winding me up about it).
Hope it's not true.

possm

Coach
Any update on Packer??I have a funny feeling he has signed with the Tigers and he is in the 10 day cooling off period(couple of my Tiger mates winding me up about it).
Hope it's not true.
I think it is a crazy idea to hang around and wait for a decision from Dugan. I would withdraw our offer to him and just go about the business of signing Packer, Lafai, Milne and Mann.

I will wait to see what the registered contract price is for Dugan. I'd say he will sign for the Dogs at 600k. The rest being TPA.

Hoppa was on more than 750k at the Eels and yet the Dogs have him on 150k. I suppose plus TPA. It's a joke and very unfair yet not one of our officials are doing anything about it.

Belta

Juniors
It's why it's hard to truly love NRL these days, no loyalty, no fairness, quite a s$&t situation really, none of our players were wanted at the start of the year now we win a few games and look like losing some of our best, just like our former test players, Morris and Merrin, while other clubs keep stacking their teams with endless test players..I know it's the TPA but it's truly disheartening, but I shouldn't complain really, atleast I'm not a knight supporter

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
It's why it's hard to truly love NRL these days, no loyalty, no fairness, quite a s$&t situation really, none of our players were wanted at the start of the year now we win a few games and look like losing some of our best, just like our former test players, Morris and Merrin, while other clubs keep stacking their teams with endless test players..I know it's the TPA but it's truly disheartening, but I shouldn't complain really, atleast I'm not a knight supporter

I'm no RL expert, but this is what I see....other teams lose players too. The difference between us and them is we lose good and promising players but hold onto dead weight like Will Matthews and Jake Marketo. We have been poorly managed for years. Alos, I'm sure other teams are doing dodgy dealings but cannot be caught. From what I know, the only times clubs have been caught rorting the salary cap was by a whistleblower...no other way.

Reactions: Qdf

possm

Coach
It all starts at the top. The ARLC is filled with self interested, self serving people who do little good for the game and the people playing the game.

The focus should be directed towards fairness of the salary cap/TPA system, tighter rules on referees discretion during games and expansion of the game throughout Australia and the South Pacific.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Packer gets offered bug dollars at the Tigers he will go. Buy hey Saints have Leuilia, Host, Lawry etc. They signed Luelia on decent coin so I am assuming he is their highest priority and most were crying out for Saints to re-sign Luc so there you go. THey got their wish and it may cost us losing Packer. You can't keep them all.

The NRL will be waiting on the Dogs to complete their roster and then announce the new Salary cap figure. If they have 10 mil of players it will be 10 mil. Whatever they want apparently.

Life's Good

Coach
If Packer gets offered bug dollars at the Tigers he will go. Buy hey Saints have Leuilia, Host, Lawry etc. They signed Luelia on decent coin so I am assuming he is their highest priority and most were crying out for Saints to re-sign Luc so there you go. THey got their wish and it may cost us losing Packer. You can't keep them all.

The NRL will be waiting on the Dogs to complete their roster and then announce the new Salary cap figure. If they have 10 mil of players it will be 10 mil. Whatever they want apparently.
You couldn't have said it any better. Using Luc as an example shows you sometimes stretch the $$ and it ends up costing you. This is the challenge of managing the roster and is where I have some sympathy for the recruitment team in that you can't always win. The flip side of that is f*cking up recruitment where good players are let go, like Jack Bird - perhaps we can start a thread about him??

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

A few years back we had Poore and Weyman, the NSW props at the time. We lost Poore and still won the comp...Losing Packer won't be the end of the world.

possm

Coach
I hope we don't lose Packer and dearly wish the NRL would announce the 2018 salary cap tomorrow. It is very unprofessional to delay this announcement. However, if there is no way of keeping Packer, then so be it, young props Kerr, Sele and Lawrie will have to step up to the plate.

Bench
I remember reading some time ago where Milward said Packer, Widdoo and Douges was the manager of the three and it was decided that Widdop and Duges would be done before Packer.
I think it is time to put down our best offer for Duges with a 10 day time limit. If he doesn't accept then go hard for Packer. Hate to lose Packer.

possm

Coach
I remember reading some time ago where Milward said Packer, Widdoo and Douges was the manager of the three and it was decided that Widdop and Duges would be done before Packer.
I think it is time to put down our best offer for Duges with a 10 day time limit. If he doesn't accept then go hard for Packer. Hate to lose Packer.
I think that will be too late. Time is now to let Dugan go and sign Packer, Lafai, Mann and Milne. Mann to fullback in 2018 with Milne and Lafai as our first choice centre. Most importantly Mary won't be there to select Aitken at right centre.

Como Connection

First Grade
I think that will be too late. Time is now to let Dugan go and sign Packer, Lafai, Mann and Milne. Mann to fullback in 2018 with Milne and Lafai as our first choice centre. Most importantly Mary won't be there to select Aitken at right centre.
Sounds good to me.
CC

Dorsai

Juniors
Can't imagine Mann at fullback. He would be a weak link at the back imo.

Our problem is we don't have a replacement fullback of the same strength and ability as Dugan. To replace him we would have to buy elsewhere.

Packer should be a priority though. I would be inclined to backend a contract and let some if the other lesser weights go including masoe. We carry too much dead weight.

Same goes for some of our up and comers filling shoes in the first grade. I love home grown talent but none are exactly setting the world on fire currently. Could be the limited time they have to shine, could be the coach. Trouble is whilst we have some glimmers, there is no shiner in the group.

As for Bird, one good season does not make a career.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Spot on 2010
You nailed it

emu62

Juniors
Can't imagine Mann at fullback. He would be a weak link at the back imo.

Our problem is we don't have a replacement fullback of the same strength and ability as Dugan. To replace him we would have to buy elsewhere.

Packer should be a priority though. I would be inclined to backend a contract and let some if the other lesser weights go including masoe. We carry too much dead weight.

Same goes for some of our up and comers filling shoes in the first grade. I love home grown talent but none are exactly setting the world on fire currently. Could be the limited time they have to shine, could be the coach. Trouble is whilst we have some glimmers, there is no shiner in the group.

As for Bird, one good season does not make a career.

Yea right , we all noticed what a weak link he was on the wing last year for us

Latest posts