What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

possm

Coach
Packer has same manager as Dugan they agreed to get Dugan signed and then move on to packer ..perhaps the injury will be the catalyst for something happening.
Given that player managers are there to get the best possible deal for their clients, why do you think they want to sign Dugan first. Let's explore this idea:
Dugan is a marquee player wanting 250k more than the Dragons have offered.
Packer is after about 100k more than the Dragons have offered.
Packer wants to stay and Dragons want him to stay. Dragons have the cap space to close.
Packer's extension will make it very difficult to sign Dugan at his asking price.
Millward should just withdraw the offer to Dugan and sign Packer.

Gandhi

Juniors
Given that player managers are there to get the best possible deal for their clients, why do you think they want to sign Dugan first. Let's explore this idea:
Packer wants to stay and Dragons want him to stay. Dragons have the cap space to close.
Packer's extension will make it very difficult to sign Dugan at his asking price.
Yep. Exciting juniors will replace duges if he wont sign for 800k plus a carton of breezers. No junior at this stage can replace packer. Then we can use duges money and carton of breezers on a player who may come to market. Duges thinks he is changa! If only.

Carlton

Juniors

I like Packer but he is easier to replace than Dugan. We have juniors such as Kerr and Lawrie besides players that can be signed from outside the club to cover a prop.

There is not one junior at this stage who has shown they can replace Dugan. The closest seems to be Marsters but he is only 17 and will probably need a couple of years.

Gandhi

Juniors
I like Packer but he is easier to replace than Dugan. We have juniors such as Kerr and Lawrie besides players that can be signed from outside the club to cover a prop.

There is not one junior at this stage who has shown they can replace Dugan. The closest seems to be Marsters but he is only 17 and will probably need a couple of years.
With the 800 k dugan wont accept.....dont worry yourself....there are several.

possm

Coach

I agree, and there is not one junior who could be selected in the run on side for our forward pack. This only re-inforces my comment on other threads that our junior development program is about a year out from producing players ready to be tested in first grade.

Packer is a key part of our forward 'power play plan' and if we let him go to the Tigers, we will have to find a replacement from outside the club. Packer wants to stay and the Dragons want to keep hm. Problem is his manger has Millward's number and is finding it hard to sign players under their asking price. Widdop has the same manager and got very close to his asking price. Dugan has the same manager and is holding out for his asking price and Packer is asking for about 100k more than Millward's offer.

I think it best to sign Packer, withdraw Dugan's offer and get on with signing Lafai, Mann and Milne. With Hunt on his way and the likes of Field, Dufty, Herbert, Kerr, Sele, Host, Leilua and Lawrie all busting to be selected in first grade, I'm sure that at least a few of them will make the grade.

Gareth67

First Grade
Thought packer was poor. No threat to the oz defence what so ever. And not much aggression.

I believe that we must give credit to the 'Roo's defence for that Gandi . Just about the entire Kiwi pack ( with the exception being Cameron Blair ) was well contained by a smothering Aussie defence .

Kudos to Meninga for schooling the team so well and dare I say also to Cameron Smith, for keeping his players minds on the job , for the entire 80 minutes .

Last edited:

Carlton

Juniors
With the 800 k dugan wont accept.....dont worry yourself....there are several.

Which juniors do you think have shown they are ready to play fullback in first grade?

Assume we lose Dugan, you now have $850K available, who do you get to play fullback without weakening the team?

possm

Coach
Millward has Field slotted in on his whiteboard to play fullback in 2018. Field has not been tested as yet due to a mixture of his injuries and lack of vacancy.

I'd be surprised if Field does not get selected at fullback in next Friday night's game against the Sharks.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Millward has Field slotted in on his whiteboard to play fullback in 2018. Field has not been tested as yet due to a mixture of his injuries and lack of vacancy.

I'd be surprised if Field does not get selected at fullback in next Friday night's game against the Sharks.

Hope your correct and they dont't take the safe option and put Nightingale there.
This would be the perfect opportunity to see what our 'future' players offer but if l know Mary, the balls will be tuck upwards and history will repeat itself.

Latest posts