What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Richardson

keeney

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
fatty vautin on K.Giddley "this kid could be looking at origin"

the kid has talent but IMO he sits behind a host of 5/8ths

his value wud be as a utility to any rep team eh makes, i dont think hed be a first choice 5/8 ever, its the fact that he is solid in every back line position, and a talented playmaker and defender that would put him up there

antonius

Coach
Keep richardson for another week, he went ok I thought, easy to pick mistakes butv I thought richo did a lot a lot of good things too.

Risa

Bench
Sportsjock said:
I dont know , I felt Richo was solid enough to be there again next week, and likely improve as he starts to fit into the Knights game plan.

Maybe he just needs time, I don't know. I just think that if he doesn't improve his ball-handling skills there are guys like Carmont who could easily take over.

keeney

First Grade
i jst dont want him retained if he consistently f**ks around and is unpromising, esp with carmont raring to go. saying that, he did have a solid game in defense, and other than two fairly noticeable mistakes he went alright, he should play better in the coming weeks and keepp his spot.

Misanthrope

Staff member
As much as I like Robbie O, he really doesn't need to be there anymore. He's no longer the damaging runner he used to be- and Seage showed tonight that fullback is one area that the Knights have covered.

Hughes.... I think he still shows flashes, but it's been a long time since the form that got him the #1 jersey for NSW. If he can earn a return in Premier League, power to him- if not, leave it open to the likes of Richardson, Hall, and Carmont.

mrford61

Juniors
Sportsjock said:
Well I actually thought apart from a few drop balls, he was pretty solid!

He set up Quinns try with a nice in and away, and felt he contributed to a pretty awesome defensive effort - he was always a pretty strong defender?

I dont know , I felt Richo was solid enough to be there again next week, and likely improve as he starts to fit into the Knights game plan.

Same, and a big strong looking bastard too. Is he fast when he winds up??
I thought he looked the goods.

roopy

Referee
Richardson didn't look like a well oiled cog in the Knights machine yet - but he definately looked like a firstgrade footballer - and it is only a matter of time before Joey and Kidley start using his size and speed to effect.

Alex28

Coach
really...it was his first NRL game with the club. it is going to take some time...but in the same way Seage saved some points, we would have been a try down if it wasnt for him. He made a few mistakes but plenty of players were guilty of that tonight.

give him a few weeks to hold his own and see how things pan out.

MTK

Juniors
Richo's strong point at Cronulla was busting through tacklers. He would receive a short ball from a wide running second rower (usually Chris McKenna at the time) and just burst right through, either scoring himself or offloading to a speedy winger. He scored and set up plenty of tries. His weak point, in my opinion, was positional play in defence. He never seemed to have any kind of understanding with the man outside him (Brett Howland usually).

Cronulla got rid of him because he was apparent 'lazy' - not giving it at training etc. He also had regular injury problems.

You must remember that the last couple of years at Souths, Richo ended up on the bench in reserve grade. Perhaps they had the same problem?

Having watched RR come up through the juniors, and being there for his 1st grade debut in 1997, I can tell you he has plenty of potential and played some great footy at Cronulla. I hope he comes good for you. But just be cautious. And give him time - he hasn't played regular 1st grade since before he left Cronulla - he finsihed up with teh sharks in reserve grade.

Robbie O is one of the best we have produced but your heart is in your mouth whenever the opposition kicks thru and hes near the tryline.Its too easy to pick him up and carry back into the ingoal.Hasnt happened much but you can see what the defenders are trying to do.
Mark Hughes shows flashes of brilliane now and again but I really Doubt if he can hold out carmont/richardson.We still need him though as you can never tell about next year if richardson stays or goes.Carmont might not step up-Cant put experienced heads on new shoulders.
A bench spot for him.

noosa-eel

Juniors
Richardson had a absolute shocker last night.. :roll: if he continues to play like that he will have trouble staying in 1st grade. :lol:

~knights~

Juniors
Solid in defence.

Lacked abit in attack,dropped balls etc.

I guess it was the slippery conditions.

Give him another go against the storm .

Doctor

Bench
Forgive my ignorance of the previous pages - how many mistakes did we all count?
My best estimate, by way of knock-ons, is Five - but I may have exagerrated.

You know a player is having a shocker when you're discussing how terribly someone is playing and suddenly they make another mistake. Every time someone in the room said: "Richardson! Hold the ball this time", he'd drop it.

Poor fellow - I'm sure he is much better than this. My best guess is that he was either over-confident, or over-keen to perform well and subsequently found himself skipping the simple things.

Hopefully he will bounce back, or should we have kept Ryder afterall? ;-)

socksie

Juniors
i think richardson lacks the consistency to hold his first grade position

he and hughes will play it out for that centre position

kidley is definitely a great asset to NSW
he will play a craig wing role where he can slot in 5/8, centre or even fullback
although he is still behind barrett for number 6 and behind wing for utility

i say we go with seage as fullback
robbie o's very injury-prone in his old age and is showing his age a bit

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
mrford61 said:
Sportsjock said:
Well I actually thought apart from a few drop balls, he was pretty solid!

He set up Quinns try with a nice in and away, and felt he contributed to a pretty awesome defensive effort - he was always a pretty strong defender?

Same, and a big strong looking bastard too. Is he fast when he winds up??
I thought he looked the goods.

Well he said to me that he's just a touch slower then tahu. apparently according to Russ, Matt Gidleys not much slower then both of them, he just gets alot of corks through the season and it slows him down. Russ was supprised with hoe quick gidley was.

He was ordinary. From the dropped balls, the two penaltys he gave away in the opening 10 minutes to falling off Preston Campbell when he had the perfect shot on him allowing him to score.

Reserve grader last year, wasn't he?

Latest posts