What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russia

XIII

Juniors
i am going 4 the hols and will try to get some good info but all thats out there at the moment is loko are entering the ru 7's comp next year and will dual register there players with the russian ru so they can be considered 4 the olympics.

Coastbloke

Bench
http://www.rochdaleobserver.co.uk/s...7_gareths_high_hopes_for_russian_rugby_league

Gareth's high hopes for Russian rugby league

Mike Floyd
December 12, 2009

A TRIP to Russia to inspect facilities for the Student European Cup next year exceeded all expectations for local rugby league coach Gareth Pratt.

He travelled from his Littleborough home to Rostov-on-Don to look at playing, training and residential venues for the competition and, on arrival, was invited to pass on his knowledge and coaching skills to his Russian hosts.

Pratt visited several universities to provide video analysis, coaching sessions, demonstrations, while also explaining the core skills and technicalities of rugby league to those present.
These were followed by question and answer sessions with coaches from the Rostov area.
And, in a hectic week, he also went to several matches where he took the opportunity to speak to the players and coaches.

The value of the visit was not lost on Pratt, who believes there is tremendous potential for the development of rugby league in Russia.
He said: "The players and coaches have a passion for the game. They are fully aware of their deficiencies and they are willing to work hard to overcome them."
Pratt also stressed that the Rugby League Europe Federation is prepared to provide further assistance to the Federation of Rugby League in Russia.

He also thanked the manager of student rugby league Matt Jeffery and the regional co-ordinator for Russian rugby league Julia Bennison for their help in organising the trip.
The visit, particularly the hospitality of his hosts, left a lasting impression on Pratt.
He added: "The week I spent in Rostov was a fantastic experience. I enjoyed the challenge of coaching in Russia.

"I hope I have helped the rugby league community to develop and promote the game.
"The organisers of next year’s competition showed a great deal of appreciation and were pleased I had raised some important issues at this early stage.

"I am sure the coaches will have gained from the experience. Judging by their enthusiasm and constant interest they certainly seemed to enjoy the training sessions.
"I am certain if everything is carried out with the enthusiasm and hospitality they showed me the experience will be a great one for all concerned."

Knownothing

Juniors
i am going 4 the hols and will try to get some good info but all thats out there at the moment is loko are entering the ru 7's comp next year and will dual register there players with the russian ru so they can be considered 4 the olympics.

Russia did reasonably well in the latest leg of the IRB Sevens, held in George, South Africa.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
It appears Lokomotiv Moscow have switched to union. Why are we not doing something for Russia we can't afford to lose them.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
"Loco" is waiting for the Olympics?

Author: moder In 2016 rugby-7 debut in the Olympic Games. The undoubted leader of Russia regbilig the last decade - Moscow's Lokomotiv "already in the 2010 season, will try their hand at this type of rugby. On the prospects of the team thinks the president and head coach Eugene Klebanov railroad.

Low season to lead the "Lokomotiv" - hot time. While the team is on vacation, Eugene Klebanov holds meetings at different levels. After a conversation with the chairman Rossiyskogo FSO "Lokomotiv", 4-time Olympic champion Alexander Popov was decided to participate in the championship of Russia on rugby-7.

- You have already entered the Rugby Union of Russia? - Question Klebanov.
- Yes. Many people understand that the return of "Locomotive" in rugby will benefit the common cause.

- Strongly to change your cabinet?

- The best will play in the rugby-7. Of the 25 rugby players leave 20. By the main team tighten two or three interns. And in the championship of Russia on regbilig will play our youth team. Another group said in a National Championship rugby-15.

- Who has the best chance "to shoot" in the new game?

- I hope all who are left, will show their best sides. We have a fast, young, but at the same time and experienced team.

- How is rugby-7 from regbilig?

- This is a very fast sport. Balls are the same, the field - too. In rugby-7 more individual games. While in regbilig and rugby-15 - emphasis on team play and collective defense. There is an important point: the match in the rugby-7 lasts only 14 or 20 minutes. Therefore, any mistake can be fatal - do not have time to recoup.

- Would attract foreign experts?

- There are targets. Foreign players in the championship of Russia on rugby-7 definitely will not be, but the mentors of the leading rugby countries try to attract. They should explain to us the nuances. We knew the rugby-7, but the last 19 years it had not encountered. Hopefully, a year remembered everything.

- How do I plan to prepare for the season?

- January 18, the team will depart on a 10-day gathering in Podolsk. We will work on general physical preparation, in the wrestling room and in the pool.

- Balls take?

- Make sure, but playing in the snow will not - only in the hall.
And closer to the beginning of the season plan to play in an international tournament for rugby-7 and a few friendly matches.

- Aims at 11-times champion Russia once again the maximum?

- We have enough vanity.

- Well-known system for the championship of Russia?

- Teams are already very much. Toward the beginning of the season they will be even greater. Therefore, we have proposed a multistage scheme. With selection rounds and the Super Final. From the Moscow region in the next round will come just two. As worries about the transition to new a sport management "Lokomotiv" do not forget about the preparation of the reserve. Recently, discussions were held with representatives of Coach "Marino."

- But in "Loco" has a wonderful children's school, and the composition of almost one hundred per cent consists of her students?

- The Coach "Marino has a good base, excellent conditions for training, work here became champions of the Soviet Union Rugby Yuri Vasiliev and Roman Malikov. These are people who "Lokomotiv" very expensive. Together we will do everything possible to continue to glorify our society.

REFERENCE "Soviet Sport"

Rugby team "Lokomotiv", one of the oldest in the IPU, was founded in 1937 and became a member of the first USSR championship. Lokomotiv became the champion of the USSR, the champion of the CIS, the repeated champion of Russia, as well as the Cup of the country.

Team Achievements

In rugby-15: Champion of the USSR (1983), silver (1980) and bronze (1975) medalist championship of the USSR, USSR Cup winner (1978, 1986).
From 1991 to the present time the team performs in Russia-13 rugby league. During this period the team won the CIS (1992), was 11-times champion of Russia, nine times won the National Cup.
In recent years, more than a dozen players regularly summoned to Russia's national team.
In Coach "locomotive" for rugby and martial arts based on the sports complex "Zenit" now engaged in more than 500 children. Team Masters comes mainly from the pupils of their school.

http://rclm.ru/?p=106

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Well at least their youth team is playing league. Russia needs support as they have true roots in RL, they have been actively playing the game since about 1989/1990.

roopy

Referee
The boys won't walk away from League, because it is the best sport and the one they have been brought up with, but Loco can get government and Union money to play 7s, which will make them a stronger club.
All forms of Rugby are tiny in Russia - this will grow them strongly.
It's all about the olympics in Russia.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
True, however the other mob have that. Thus they will get the money and be able to pay players and develop their game.

gho

Juniors
It appears Lokomotiv Moscow have switched to union. Why are we not doing something for Russia we can't afford to lose them.

I think the problem is we can't afford to keep them compared to the dollars the IRB and now the russian olympic body is throwing at union in the country.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Exactly, however we can't afford to turn our back on them, they need support. All too often we have get excited about new nations only for them to fade away eg. Georgia, Holland, New Caledonia.

gho

Juniors
I think league would have more success if we just wait for IRB to poor money into the country and get Union to become a popular sport in Russia, then we follow. League doesnt have the funds to become more than a very very small niche market in Russia. Once Union has established itself, the entry of League would be much easier as people would grasp the rules better, and because League is a better product than Union, would allow us to get many converts.

Thomas

First Grade
and because League is a better product than Union, would allow us to get many converts.

Wow. That's a rather "Big Footy" comment right there. :crazy:

The issue is the IRB have been heavily investing in RU in Russia for years now. Loads of money is going into the system and that is how it has to work. For Russian RL to really take off they need support from outside the country and from what I read this doesn't happen.

Oh and Russia did quite well in the Dubai 7's recently. They made the 1/4 finals and had a 14-all draw with Australia in the pools.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Wow. That's a rather "Big Footy" comment right there. :crazy:

The issue is the IRB have been heavily investing in RU in Russia for years now. Loads of money is going into the system and that is how it has to work. For Russian RL to really take off they need support from outside the country and from what I read this doesn't happen.

Oh and Russia did quite well in the Dubai 7's recently. They made the 1/4 finals and had a 14-all draw with Australia in the pools.

Yeah but Australia's hopeless :D

Thomas

First Grade
Hey! Australia are the team that makes the minnows feel like they are competing...

Kenya have our number in the 7's.

Fraser

enormous untapped potential in russia, big athletes over there
took a russian to a league game at kogarah this year, he said he much preferred it to the three waratards games he went too
further proof our product is better than yawnion

It seems that the RLR comp is screwed with most clubs switching to union. Only Vereya remains and they want to set up a new administration to run a six team comp this year involving the likes of itself, Treshers, Nord, the two Kazan clubs and a combined military team. Loko might still lay but they would have to play under the new organisation's rules. The problem is they need funds to do it and the RLIF is waiting for some information before deciding what to do. In any event the game in Russia that once held so much promise is almost back to square one.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The game will continue however it be played by amateurs.

The game still has a future and dedicated people involved.

Over the last week these kids have been playing in a 4 team cup tournament.

RUGBY [LIG] - LIVED, IT WAS LIVING AND IT WILL LIVE!
2224498_7.jpg

2224524_7.jpg

2224544_7.jpg

2226041_6.jpg

2226045_6.jpg

FEDERATION RUGBY [LIG] BUNK -[FOMINSKOGo] REGION
(Moscow region)
NEW-YEAR GOBLET

Last edited:

Latest posts