What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

Tiger05

First Grade
I hope we get some better players than Brown. I mean he is an okay first grader but definitely no where near as good as Matterson.

Noone - we released him
Jason Taylor released him, didn't want a young guy tough forward in his team, just wanted midfield bombs.

Brown would be awesome. I'm getting a bit tired of all these players trying to find their best positions (Reynolds, Mbye, even Matterson etc). Brown would slot straight into 13 Jersey and just belt merkins all day
I agree BrotherJim, a different player all together to Matherson but effective all the same, tough and uncompromising.

He was selected for PM XIII this year, Matterson wasn't. Different type of player granted, but the Australian selector(s) must see something there.

Vic Mackey

Referee
1. I would 100% take Brown, he would be exactly what our pack needs

2. It’s a rumour from the official forum, so it’s not happening

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Maybe I am just a poor judge. I personally don't think Matterson is as big a loss as some are saying, he looked good in our team but that's my point...in our team and at the moment that isn't the highest recommendation. He was and still would be a bench player at the Chooks, he couldn't displace Aubuson (who is very underrated but not a rep player) for example and some of the others coming through their ranks.

Given the chance I could pick 10 backrowers I'd prefer for similar money. He may go on to be a champion but with his poor attitude I really doubt it. This will be a very short term pain I reckon....he will soon be forgotten.

Or I could be left with egg on my face lol....

Tiger05

First Grade
I reckon Matterson is a lot better than Aubuson and Radley. I also think he is just as good in the middle as on the edge.

The problem to me is that he is a knob.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I reckon Matterson is a lot better than Aubuson and Radley. I also think he is just as good in the middle as on the edge.

As I say 05 I might just be a poor judge but Trent Robinson disagrees with the first part of your post and he is a better judge than me...but I am sure and certain he agrees with the last part of your post lol....so does every other WT supporter.

Tiger05

First Grade
As I say 05 I might just be a poor judge but Trent Robinson disagrees with the first part of your post and he is a better judge than me...but I am sure and certain he agrees with the last part of your post lol....so does every other WT supporter.

I hope that you are right in regards to his footy ability. I said earlier in this thread that he has just had one good year. He might not back it up.

I think it's pretty clear what a merkin the guy is.

Aubuson is not only a better fringe player he can play out wide all game as well and not just for x minutes per game. Radley has Matterson covered easily.

But that's my opinion.

The more I think about the Tiger forwards the more I hope that Brown does return to the Tigers.

MomoMud

Juniors
Aubuson is not only a better fringe player he can play out wide all game as well and not just for x minutes per game. Radley has Matterson covered easily.

But that's my opinion.

The more I think about the Tiger forwards the more I hope that Brown does return to the Tigers.
Long time reader of this thread and finally decided to join in the discussion.

I like Brown but feel we also need something special in the forwards to make our mark next year and beyond. Add Frizell or someone with similar status to the equation and you have better forwards pack than last year.

BrotherJim05

Bench
A more realistic outcome to all this would be that we sign Brown, Leileu and Lomax, and possibly front load some contracts. These players aren't world beaters but it's an overall improvement. Then with more dead weight moving on (Jennings, Mcqueen, hopefully Packer and Reynolds), the Salary cap fine lifted, 2021 should see us with a pretty serious warchest. If we get comfortably within the 8 next year we will be able to attract bigger name players, and identify what positions we need to sign players for

Until we start making the 8 I find it really unlikely that we could sign Frizzel or Arrow (would love to be proven wrong)

Aubusson is a tradesman.

Agree with Vic. Matterson is a right royal merkin, but he's a good player. If he was bog average there wouldn't have been other clubs enticing him to leave one year into a 3 year contract.

macnaz

Staff member
Meh.. Matto is an upgraded Curtis Sirro..
Once he loses a bit of pace he is just another 2nd rower running at the line.
The offload etc will mean f**k all if u cant break the line down the track, in saying that he hogged the ball most of those line breaks and butchered tries anyway.
Great for us because we are shit , but in the scheme of great players he was very good for what we were paying for him and not worth any more.. so cya dickhead you did us a favour.

BrotherJim05

Bench
The shit part of this is that Matterson is worth 500k a season and we had him locked in on 350. I don't know why the NRL haven't changed the rules on this. If you simply restrict players from not getting upgrades on their contract from other clubs then they won't want to leave. All the welfare stats guys will be scratching their heads why mental health issues will dramatically fall after not allowing players to leave mid contract????

Latest posts