What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

WA Tiger

Bench
We could be top 2 by 2023 .....This year could be huge..I’d love to see Benji have a magic send off year...He’s thinking all these amazing players to pass to..Otahuhu where our new prop is from is a pretty Famous club in Auckland that has generated a few really tough and talented nrl players like Tawera Nikau

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'm getting kind of over Liddle. He should just retire, he's young, made more money than most kids his age have. Go travelling for a while mate and figure out what you want to do before you damage your body so much you pay for it the rest of your life

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm getting kind of over Liddle. He should just retire, he's young, made more money than most kids his age have. Go travelling for a while mate and figure out what you want to do before you damage your body so much you pay for it the rest of your life

I don't think that is fair because we don't know the long term impacts to his body. He may come back and get it together. Benji had a tonne of injuries and he is still playing.

I don't think we can rely on him coming good now though. It might happen.

I don't think that is fair because we don't know the long term impacts to his body. He may come back and get it together. Benji had a tonne of injuries and he is still playing.

I don't think we can rely on him coming good now though. It might happen.

Benji was a half. Wasn't making 40 tackles a game.

Tiger05

First Grade
Benji was a half. Wasn't making 40 tackles a game.

You are right but that doesn't mean that Liddle can't become more robust. Sometimes it's just bad luck and that can turn. Liddle looks like he could be a good hooker. I think he is a pretty big and quick hooker. He looked a lot better to me than Reynolds in all grades.

We also have Jake Simpkin there as well.

I hope we get some luck with one of them.

macnaz

Staff member
Liddle's last injury was just from pure bad luck.. while he is out doing rehab on his knee he will be doing overtime on his upper body strength, particularly his shoulders and they could end up better then ever .

Some Sunday ramblings before I wash the cars:

Each year, scores of nrl players are badly injured and the cost to them, the clubs and everyone else is horrendous.

The modern game is as much about skill than power and as a spectacle, we are better for it.

But at the end of the day, it is extremely violent and dangerous to its participants and each player has a ton of courage, knowing that this could be their last game and many will never enjoy a pain free day for the rest of their lives.

I think:

The players really need to wear a lot more gear for protection and perhaps helmets should be compulsory unless you have a medical certificate.

The number of tacklers should be confined to two on the first tackle unless the play is in the defensive 40. That would be fun and encourage attack.

We should have an excessive force rule where the hit is deemed disproportionate to the threat imposed. People will complain about that, but hey, the officials wrecked the entire season last gf, which is as bad as its gets.

Players should be tested for hia after every single game.

I was thinking about Val and the nfl, and I was following him a bit, and it must be an incredible game if he can’t cement a spot. He’s big, powerful and mobile. That league is constantly getting sued for head injuries. I’m glad he is back.

When I met dwz last weekend, I can assure everyone, this guy has a body of iron. I wished him well as to not getting injured and he appreciated that because all of our awesome players are scared and frightened of bad injuries. Most professional players are pretty friendly to ordinary fans.

I don’t think our players are as tough as the old days, but that’s not criticise the modern era.

Dean young was a great player, a strong forward with ball and kicking skills. One day almost all forwards will possess his talents as a minimum.

And Matterson well he is a bit of a rat. Could be nice in person, no idea. But overall, we are flying at the front and back office. We are putting together the people we need for more sustained excellence.

Many other clubs are writhing around vomiting all over themselves.

it’s great to be a Tiger and a Magpie here and now!

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
You are right but that doesn't mean that Liddle can't become more robust. Sometimes it's just bad luck and that can turn. Liddle looks like he could be a good hooker. I think he is a pretty big and quick hooker. He looked a lot better to me than Reynolds in all grades.

We also have Jake Simpkin there as well.

I hope we get some luck with one of them.
. OK so he’s fast yip So?...No he’s not big ...U say He’s better than only Reynolds - so in your language that means he’s shit ..And these other hookers weren’t part of the discussion ...sounds like the for no reason Loyal Liddle brigade is back .....

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
. OK so he’s fast yip So?...No he’s not big ...U say He’s better than only Reynolds - so in your language that means he’s shit ..And these other halves weren’t part of the discussion ...sounds like the for no reason Loyal Liddle brigade is back .....
I told u we shouldn’t have re signed him

WA Tiger

Bench
At least you’ve learnt (I think) how to reply with some self control and civility ...still sound a bit like a broken record at times ..

WA Tiger

Bench
Don’t worry he blocked me coz we don’t get on
It’s just fun to give him shit when he can’t see me...

axl rose

Bench
The players really need to wear a lot more gear for protection and perhaps helmets should be compulsory unless you have a medical certificate.

I've always thought they would wear them eventually. But there is not a shred of evidence that they prevent concussions. The size of the players these days is getting crazy though. I was watching an old game from the late 90s on youtube and the Balmain players look like midgets. Maybe we were the only ones not taking steroids and thats why we sucked.

I've always thought they would wear them eventually. But there is not a shred of evidence that they prevent concussions. The size of the players these days is getting crazy though. I was watching an old game from the late 90s on youtube and the Balmain players look like midgets. Maybe we were the only ones not taking steroids and thats why we sucked.

Yeah I’ve heard the helmets do nothing too!

gordsy

Juniors
Helmets don't stop concussions as the injury is caused by the brain hitting the inside of your skull. {Crude explanation I know}

As for Liddle between the bung shoulders and now knee issues you have to wonder how it will affect his game.

WA Tiger

Bench
The size of the players these days is getting crazy though. I was watching an old game from the late 90s on youtube and the Balmain players look like midgets. Maybe we were the only ones not taking steroids and thats why we sucked.
The legend that is Wayne Pearce according wiki his playing weight was 89 kg

Last edited:
The legend that is Wayne Pearce according wiki his playing weight was 89 kg

I weigh more than that but my “footy career” is best left unspoken. Worlds worst player.

Slower than a stoned slug, panicked hospital passes and certain cannon fodder for forwards, cowardly at times, a few cheap shots ( interference off the ball). I wasn’t eye gouging or squirell gripping, just pushing forwards over when they were trying to get back on side. Just to make them fall over, no blind sliding for any injury. I took missed and ineffective tackles an art form. Just get in the way and let someone else actually stop them. If the nrl made a trophy of my career, it would depict a guy on the ground writhing and recovering from a bad and painful tackle ( slowly, none of this hero stuff). Such tackle would of course be less painful than the massage our players get after no contact training.

Games at half, my 5/8 threatened to kill me if he got any more rubbish passes that remained at ankle level or I threw 20 m behind him or above him into lunar orbit.

There was a game of footy going on sonewhere, but not in the matches I was part of!

Part of training, how’s this, was to be given a ball and try to hang on to it and muck about with it at home so as to get “ used to it.”

These experiences led me to admire nrl players generally, their skills and their courage.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Thought Catterson played like a bitch, but enjoy your 1 year signing

He doesn't look anywhere near as good on an edge compared to being a worker in the middle. I view him now as a lock forward. He can play long minutes, ball play, make plenty of metres and defend well.

He isn't explosive on an edge though.