What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ryan stig

whidds

Juniors
Anyone know how the Newcastle bloke Ryan Stig is going? HOw has he been in pre season?
Cheers

Big Mick

Referee
Some say he knows two facts about ducks and they are both wrong and also a new disease has started to spread in Mexico called Stig Flu.

Talanexor

Juniors
All I've heard is that he's in the mix for the 6 jersey this year, alongside Ray Thompson and Michael Morgan.

I'm still tipping Watts or Rovelli to get first crack at it earlier in the season, and Bowen to move to five-eighth full time if Gallant turns out to be a gun.

If the do pick a youngster though, it will probably be Thompson. Apparently Stig is just a running backrower with a big pass, so I can't see how he would complement JT's game very much. Hopefully I'm wrong, and he turns out to be a gun.

feliti or dead

Juniors
I think that Justin Hunt is also in the mix to partner jono. This kid was outstanding for Norths in the NSW Cup last year and has been training with the top squad. He is heading to the Cuitters currently but I think it may only be temporary. He's highly skilled and very quick and could be the perfect foil for the main man.

Buckshot

Juniors
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
© The Cairns Post

AFTER only arriving in Cairns on Monday, Northern Pride recruit Ryan Stig has already identified his first obstacle to overcome - the heat.
The former Newcastle Knights Toyota Cup playmaker spent seven weeks in pre-season training with the Pride's NRL affiliate the North Queensland Cowboys in Townsville before Christmas, but yesterday rated playing in Cairns a hotter prospect.
"Probably the biggest thing is the heat," he said. "I was in Townsville before Christmas but I reckon it's hotter here. And a lot more humid."
Stig is hopeful his form will be just as hot when he replaces Parramatta signing Tom Humble as pivot for the Pride.
The 20-year-old aims to win Cowboys selection and is excited at the prospect of playing alongside Australian halfback Johnathan Thurston.
But he is also eager to play alongside skipper Chris Sheppard in the halves for the Pride.
"He's got a lot of experience," he said of Sheppard. "I'm looking forward to forming a good combo with him.
"I played a bit of (five-eighth and halfback) in the juniors, but mostly five-eighth and I prefer it.
"So it's going to work out well with Shep being a natural halfback."
Stig will also have plenty of opportunity to pick the mind of former Cowboy and Dragon Sheppard, spending his first week in Cairns at his skipper's home.
Stig will see action for the Cowboys during the pre-season trials but believed he would start the season proper at the Pride.
Having already completed one training session with the Pride, Stig said he was happy to venture north despite missing more session time with the Cowboys.
"I'm playing in a trail for the Cowboys, but this gives me a chance to come up here and to get to know the boys and get some combinations," he said.
"I'll start here at the start of the season and hopefully I can play well and force my way (into the Cowboys team)."
Sheppard said Stig's signing was a good one for last year's Queensland Cup runners-up.
"He's got a lot of potential, a lot of up-side, and we're looking forward to having him here and playing him at five-eighth," he said.
"He's a good kicker, can take the line on - he's pretty quick, and he's got a good passing game, so he's got a fair bit there."
Sheppard was confident of forming a strong scrumbase partnership with the young recruit.​
"It'll take time again, like it did with Tommy (Humble), but we think we've got the right man in Ryan, so (I'm) looking forward to seeing how he fits into the team and seeing how he goes and we think he'll bring something to us."

Jono078

Referee
Wow the Knights let him go?

When did that happen? I thought he was pretty decent and you never know how he'll go until he's in FG. I liked him though.

roopy

Referee
Wow the Knights let him go?

When did that happen? I thought he was pretty decent and you never know how he'll go until he's in FG. I liked him though.
The worst of it is that poaching Stig was the last thing Duneman did before the Knights poached Duneman.
It's clear he wanted to work with Stig in the halves - and he could have if he hadn't poached him for Cairns - DOH.

ballbag

Juniors
The worst of it is that poaching Stig was the last thing Duneman did before the Knights poached Duneman.
It's clear he wanted to work with Stig in the halves - and he could have if he hadn't poached him for Cairns - DOH.
The Knights has the opportunity to re sign Stig but felt he is un coachable thus the previous comments..... Yeah I know Yeah I know Yeah I know

roopy

Referee
The Knights has the opportunity to re sign Stig but felt he is un coachable thus the previous comments..... Yeah I know Yeah I know Yeah I know
It was painful to watch Stig trying to follow instructions to play like Joey in the early rounds of NYC last year. It was like he was doing everything in slow motion, but I thought he did develop a few playmaking skills over the season, and Duneman obviously saw something to sign him.
Having said that, it was worth a shot, and i think he could improve a lot still.

Buckshot

Juniors
I know that the Cowboys have been very impressed from what they have seen of him in pre season .

Joker's Wild

Coach
His defence is good and his passing game is top notch. However his kicking game is ordinary and he lacks real playmaking ability.

Will make a good hooker but I cant see him cracking a FG spot in the halves.

Latest posts