What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RYAN WEBB...Gone Missing ????

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Meanwhile over in Sharks land - Dino Mezzatesta puts out a month update.

You at least get to see what the board is thinking/talking/considering.

Back in Dragons land - Nothing!
Funny that his name's Dino when the actual Dinos are at our club... from the board, to the coach, to the captain...

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
You can always email Webby, as long as you are polite and respectful, he will always reply.

Hey DS,

Thanks.

I find that quite a unusual way to communicate with the club.

Firstly, a CEO responding to email from the public(supports) quite unusual. Wouldn't it be more effective to have publish a periodic (monthly?) statement of the happenings within the Dragons walls?

This would also prevent him from getting snowed in with emails for fans - I would presume.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hey DS,

Thanks.

Firstly, a CEO responding to email from the public(supports) quite unusual. Wouldn't it be more effective to have publish a periodic (monthly?) statement of the happenings within the Dragons walls?

This would also prevent him from getting snowed in with emails for fans - I would presume.

Whilst I agree with you in principle, it's much easier to pen a newsletter, be that monthly or even quarterly, when your team is performing well, aka the Sharks CEO.

Webb has a lot on his plate with handling the recruitment of the new coach, corporate scrutiny (related to performance obviously), player unrest and a Board divided.

So, atm I would cut some slack here, as he has a lot on his plate and making the correct call on our new coach and possible other changes and appointments are a maximum priority.

Of course fans want to hear that "yeah we're going shite, yeah we're replacing the coach" etc etc, however, that rhetoric doesn't really exist in the corporate world, especially in our current situation.

I'm sure once a decision is made and announced then changes will happen across the entire organization.

Feel good messages will come once we start winning games, climbing the ladder and settled into the 8.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Whilst I agree with you in principle, it's much easier to pen a newsletter, be that monthly or even quarterly, when your team is performing well, aka the Sharks CEO.

Webb has a lot on his plate with handling the recruitment of the new coach, corporate scrutiny (related to performance obviously), player unrest and a Board divided.

So, atm I would cut some slack here, as he has a lot on his plate and making the correct call on our new coach and possible other changes and appointments are a maximum priority.

Of course fans want to hear that "yeah we're going shite, yeah we're replacing the coach" etc etc, however, that rhetoric doesn't really exist in the corporate world, especially in our current situation.

I'm sure once a decision is made and announced then changes will happen across the entire organization.

Feel good messages will come once we start winning games, climbing the ladder and settled into the 8.
As a leader the most important time to communicate with staff and customers is when things are not going great. Its your chance to reassure ( if done correctly) and show at a high level your plans to get things back on track.

Communicating what your doing when things are going well is easy - there will be no push back.

I sympathise with Ryan but its part of the job. Its also his chance to really show the type of leader he really is.

Last edited:

Jersey No 14

Juniors
If I own something- whatever. Not a control freak I want to know what’s going on.
Where’s that Bruce I own WIN stuff hiding.
I’d be busting head with this current clusterTRUCK

I tell him what. I’ll buy all his St. George Illawarra shares (controlling interest) of him for $50.
board / no board. If I own us. Sh/t would be happening. And nobody with escape my wrath.
Especially you - Mr Doust.
Is this Ryan dude a Doust stooge?
It appears that way. But hey. Appearance can be deceiving.
but these current actions mirror several years of dragon neglect when certain people were in charge.
Get our house in order.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Hands are tied when the board is controlling everything. Ryan is doing his best with this abysmal board. Who else would take on the job Ryan has been doing? He has to deal with one shit show after another knowing the board aren't taking into account what's best for the club, rather their own self-interests. He has to walk a tightrope in pleasing the board while also trying to get the best outcome for the club. You have nfi how difficult it would be dealing with this board knowing they only want options & solutions that fulfil their own self-interest.

Instead of writing to Ryan, write to each board member. Get their contact information, go visit where they conduct their business & approach them in that way to get answers. Forget Ryan, go directly to the source of all our issues which is the board. Get the board members contact information which is available & contact them directly.

The only way to see change at this club is either through a mass fans boycott which garners media attention or contact each board member individually in a consistent, approachable manner until we get answer.

Btw, current a-league soccer is experiencing a fan boycott from their die-hard fans which has resulted in negative media attention & clubs actively trying to contact those fans to get them to attend games. Boycotts work, it's happening right now with a-league.

Ryan can't do much with this board tying his hands. He's literally got no options either to appease the board or resign. If he resigns then good luck finding anyone else as competent.

justadragon

Bench
Nothing will ever change, WIN / Gordons are the owners and not the members. If the whole JV was member owned there would be a lot of people with their heads on a platter for numerous reasons. And as for boycotting games well the team is virtually doing that by stealth in the performances they are providing. Wont be too many fans at either WIN or Jub to watch the Dragons when they are last on the ladder getting smashed by everyone. I know I wont go to WIN again after the Dogs game, not unless something amazing happens.

True_Believer

Juniors
Hey DS,

Thanks.

I actually emailed him following the Sharks game.

He got back to me the next day. He essentially expressed his disappointment in the game and the players as well as the coach. He suggested the team was better than they are performing and admitted that although their goal is to play finals, there's a way to go yet.

Although it did nothing to change the situation, I do appreciate a direct response like this more than a monthly report or newsletter. It feels more personal and directed at my individual concerns rather than a general "this is what we are doing" type update. I think his occasional Red V emails provide enough content in that space to keep me updated on the goings on in the club.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Nothing will ever change, WIN / Gordons are the owners and not the members. If the whole JV was member owned there would be a lot of people with their heads on a platter for numerous reasons. And as for boycotting games well the team is virtually doing that by stealth in the performances they are providing. Wont be too many fans at either WIN or Jub to watch the Dragons when they are last on the ladder getting smashed by everyone. I know I wont go to WIN again after the Dogs game, not unless something amazing happens.
Yes-it's a bit late for a business as usual, trust in the Board's processes to get the club back on track. We've already been down that track after Mary and nothing has changed. There is a perception from members and supporters alike that this is an arrogant, out of touch board with some (like Doust) with snouts in the trough and the mega rich Gordons treating the club like a play thing. Where are the Gordons?- Has anybody actually seen them anywhere near a Dragons game? This club will atrophy and die from a thousand cuts. My mail is that we tried to recruit ex Manly recruiter Scott Fulton and he said no. Jake Averillo also approached earlier in the season- and said no. WE ARE NOT A DESTINATION CLUB. HULLO-ANYONE READING THIS FROM THE BOARD?

denis preston

First Grade
Yes-it's a bit late for a business as usual, trust in the Board's processes to get the club back on track. We've already been down that track after Mary and nothing has changed. There is a perception from members and supporters alike that this is an arrogant, out of touch board with some (like Doust) with snouts in the trough and the mega rich Gordons treating the club like a play thing. Where are the Gordons?- Has anybody actually seen them anywhere near a Dragons game? This club will atrophy and die from a thousand cuts. My mail is that we tried to recruit ex Manly recruiter Scott Fulton and he said no. Jake Averillo also approached earlier in the season- and said no. WE ARE NOT A DESTINATION CLUB. HULLO-ANYONE READING THIS FROM THE BOARD?
Mate I know things aren’t great atm but be fair. Scott Fulton wanted to know who the new coach was to be so obviously we couldn’t tell him that and Jake didn’t get a chance to say yes as his club knocked it on the head straight away.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Mate I know things aren’t great atm but be fair. Scott Fulton wanted to know who the new coach was to be so obviously we couldn’t tell him that and Jake didn’t get a chance to say yes as his club knocked it on the head straight away.
So when you say "be fair"- are you saying that I am wrong in my view that this isn't a destination club?- and that the Board via their long-term ineptitude (eg making a decisive move over the coaching issue at the end of last year) hasn't contributed to that situation? There've been many top-quality people at every level from current players to coaching staff that have gone elsewhere- or have come here under sufferance like Suli- due to the dysfunctional nature of this club- yes, the Averillo example wasn't the best example of that but let's not get pedantic about it.

Mojo

Bench
No

BTB

Juniors

Hope your right. But would not hold my breath. These
Parasites on the Board are a slippery bunch.Been doing this for years.