What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Webb

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Yes I agree that it will take a year or so for us to be fully in our stride, however, I'm looking forward to seeing some exciting tries this year from our guys. Several exciting wins against top wins will make me happy.
I reckon it will take a few years or a really good buy or three next season. I don’t think we will be a force until Hunt is off the books imo. He just chews up too much cap for what he offers.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Yes the NRL have a lot to answer for in the Folau matter. Abdo in particular comes across as vague and wishy washy. I still think Webb and the board were naive to think they could hire Folau without any backlash from the fans. Good on Norm Black for sticking up for the club.

Even more so in the JDB saga (that's not passing any judgement on him or the case, just how the club has been screwed over by it.)

TruSaint

Referee
Even more so in the JDB saga (that's not passing any judgement on him or the case, just how the club has been screwed over by it.)

The NRL may have imposed a dubious rule, but they are not to blame for JDB, innocent or guilty.

Webb I think will steer away from any commentary on the matter, unlike his predecessor.

possm

Coach
The Dragons need to show the NRL that they can't be bullied any longer by challenging them at every turn when they think that they are being wronged. I am not going to list all of the indiscretions however, we should start with a campaign and legal challenge to the notition that we have only won one premiership. We are St George and there is no precedent or rule that erases history on the basis of joining with another club to help the NRL out after the Super League mess.

I say, find a law firm who will take this on and win.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
Mark Levy: Time Dragons board was accountable for dark cloud over once-proud club
By Mark Levy
6 hours ago

There is a dark cloud hovering over the St George Illawarra Dragons again this season and it isn't the playing group or the coaching staff.

It's the NRL club's board, which is never held accountable for the questionable decisions frustrating their rusted-on supporters.

I want to preface what you're about to read by insisting the Dragons hold a special place in my heart, because I grew up in the St George area and thoroughly enjoyed sitting amongst the passionate supporters on the famous hill at Kogarah.

That being said, I'm still struggling to understand how they've allowed one of their best and most consistent players and someone who was elevated to the captaincy last year, Cameron McInnes, to sign with their nearest and fiercest rivals, the Cronulla Sharks.

We're talking about a bloke who's held in high regard by all of his teammates and the paying members of the club, yet the people running the show were happy to let him waltz up the freeway and sign a four-year deal with the Sharkies.

I know there's no more loyalty in rugby league, but what about some respect?

I really feel for McInnes, who not only has to leave the Dragons at the end of the season, the hooker will also be forced to watch on from the grandstand after rupturing his ACL during the pre-season.

It's a cruel game sometimes.

The decision to sign veteran hooker Andrew McCullough from the Brisbane Broncos came with plenty of question marks and rightfully so, given he's in the twilight of his career; but in the end it's proven to be a lucky move by the recruitment staff, with a player like McInnes now missing the entire season.

The question remains though: would you prefer to hold onto a player like Cameron McInnes, who's still got plenty to offer in the NRL or someone like McCullough, who's likely to hang up the boots at the end of the year or finish his career overseas?

You've then got the sideshow that came with Israel Folau and his potential return to the NRL. Were the Dragons really serious about signing him or were they just smothering the moronic decision to allow McInnes to sign with the Sharks?

They've certainly done the rest of the competition a favour by showing the 15 other clubs the circus that comes with entertaining the idea of signing someone like Folau, who still hasn't taken down his offensive post on social media suggesting homosexuals and other 'sinners' will go to hell.

If you've listened to me on Radio 2GB over the years, you'll know I'm a staunch defender of the need for freedom of speech in this country, but when you become a role model and derive a wage as a professional athlete, you're held accountable for your comments, be them fair or offensive.

Peter V'landys and Andrew Abdo keep telling us we're an "inclusive game", so how can we possibly entertain the idea of Folau making a return?

The Dragons should be celebrating the start of a new season and a fresh approach under coach Anthony Griffin, whose record speaks for itself. They've instead dominated the back pages of the newspapers and TV news bulletins because of the dumb decisions made by the people running the club.

I've requested to speak to their CEO Ryan Webb on a number of occasions, but the boss must be petrified of the television cameras and his mobile phone because he's never available when I'm being bombarded by supporters who are demanding answers.

I was relatively optimistic when the St George Illawarra Dragons signed Griffin as their coach, because I've got to know the respected mentor over the last couple of years on the Continuous Call Team, but it's clear to me his hands are tied.

The Red V supporters are running out of patience and if they don't turn things around quickly, the signs will be up again demanding a change.

I just wish they'd start focusing their attention on the real problem at the Dragons - and that's the board members who are obviously a protected species.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Mark Levy: Time Dragons board was accountable for dark cloud over once-proud club
By Mark Levy
6 hours ago

There is a dark cloud hovering over the St George Illawarra Dragons again this season and it isn't the playing group or the coaching staff.

It's the NRL club's board, which is never held accountable for the questionable decisions frustrating their rusted-on supporters.

I want to preface what you're about to read by insisting the Dragons hold a special place in my heart, because I grew up in the St George area and thoroughly enjoyed sitting amongst the passionate supporters on the famous hill at Kogarah.

That being said, I'm still struggling to understand how they've allowed one of their best and most consistent players and someone who was elevated to the captaincy last year, Cameron McInnes, to sign with their nearest and fiercest rivals, the Cronulla Sharks.

We're talking about a bloke who's held in high regard by all of his teammates and the paying members of the club, yet the people running the show were happy to let him waltz up the freeway and sign a four-year deal with the Sharkies.

I really feel for McInnes, who not only has to leave the Dragons at the end of the season, the hooker will also be forced to watch on from the grandstand after rupturing his ACL during the pre-season.

The decision to sign veteran hooker Andrew McCullough from the Brisbane Broncos came with plenty of question marks and rightfully so, given he's in the twilight of his career; but in the end it's proven to be a lucky move by the recruitment staff, with a player like McInnes now missing the entire season.

The question remains though: would you prefer to hold onto a player like Cameron McInnes, who's still got plenty to offer in the NRL or someone like McCullough, who's likely to hang up the boots at the end of the year or finish his career overseas?

You've then got the sideshow that came with Israel Folau and his potential return to the NRL. Were the Dragons really serious about signing him or were they just smothering the moronic decision to allow McInnes to sign with the Sharks?

They've certainly done the rest of the competition a favour by showing the 15 other clubs the circus that comes with entertaining the idea of signing someone like Folau, who still hasn't taken down his offensive post on social media suggesting homosexuals and other 'sinners' will go to hell.

If you've listened to me on Radio 2GB over the years, you'll know I'm a staunch defender of the need for freedom of speech in this country, but when you become a role model and derive a wage as a professional athlete, you're held accountable for your comments, be them fair or offensive.

Peter V'landys and Andrew Abdo keep telling us we're an "inclusive game", so how can we possibly entertain the idea of Folau making a return?

The Dragons should be celebrating the start of a new season and a fresh approach under coach Anthony Griffin, whose record speaks for itself. They've instead dominated the back pages of the newspapers and TV news bulletins because of the dumb decisions made by the people running the club.

I've requested to speak to their CEO Ryan Webb on a number of occasions, but the boss must be petrified of the television cameras and his mobile phone because he's never available when I'm being bombarded by supporters who are demanding answers.

I was relatively optimistic when the St George Illawarra Dragons signed Griffin as their coach, because I've got to know the respected mentor over the last couple of years on the Continuous Call Team, but it's clear to me his hands are tied.

The Red V supporters are running out of patience and if they don't turn things around quickly, the signs will be up again demanding a change.

I just wish they'd start focusing their attention on the real problem at the Dragons - and that's the board members who are obviously a protected species.

TruSaint

Referee
By Mark Levy
6 hours ago

tenor.gif

TruSaint

Referee
How refreshing is it for someone to finally address the core issue.

The "untouchable " board, and yes this guy is right if Webby wants to keep his credibility he then should front up for more interviews. Engage the media.

Why do I feel like to board are limiting his public exposure ?

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Good on you Mark Levy. I've always thought that your comments over the airwaves have been fair and just and said with great understanding of the relevant topics. Also it's very good to know that you are a staunch Dragons supporter and having someone like you in the media to speak on our behalf.

We have been saying for so many years how the Board of this club should be made accountable for every decision and every indecision made for the members and the wider fanbase in the communities throughout the Nation and in fact all over the world.

The Dragons faithful are praying for so much improvement in the performance of the team and those in charge of the club.

Any further comments by you to Mr Webb and the Board of Directors whether they be critique or otherwise when needed would be much appreciated.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
My prediction...JDB will be found not guilty and he’ll sue the hell out of the NRL. Then they will change the rule so players who are charged are not stood down until proven guilty. Which as per usual has royally farked over the dragons

possm

Coach
The NRL using the Melbourne Storm CEO as a key witness used the excuse that De Belin's charge led to the NRL losing a substantial amount of money.

Well I'd say, that if De Belin is found not guilty, the St George Illawarra Club should take legal action against the NRL citing their loss of funds caused by the NRL's back dated no fault stand down policy. Pointingto the lack of appropriate salary cap compensation and the result poor on-field performances as a result.

I have always felt that if the NRL want to bring in such a policy that it should not be back dated and that the NRL should assume all financial responsibility for the stand down, i.e.

• Pay out the De Belin contract or negotiate a deal with him.
  • Credit the Dragons with full compensation in order to allow them to replace De Belin and get on with things while De Belin is stood down.
  • Be responsible for the health and well-being of De Belin while he is stood down.

Dragon David

First Grade
The NRL using the Melbourne Storm CEO as a key witness used the excuse that De Belin's charge led to the NRL losing a substantial amount of money.

Well I'd say, that if De Belin is found not guilty, the St George Illawarra Club should take legal action against the NRL citing their loss of funds caused by the NRL's back dated no fault stand down policy. Pointingto the lack of appropriate salary cap compensation and the result poor on-field performances as a result.

I have always felt that if the NRL want to bring in such a policy that it should not be back dated and that the NRL should assume all financial responsibility for the stand down, i.e.

• Pay out the De Belin contract or negotiate a deal with him.
  • Credit the Dragons with full compensation in order to allow them to replace De Belin and get on with things while De Belin is stood down.
  • Be responsible for the health and well-being of De Belin while he is stood down.
Agreed Possm. Boy we have been hard done by and our Club will have to make stronger stands to show that we are not easily walked over.

FlameThrower

Bench
The BOD are core to most of the issues at the club. The whole structure of the Club is wrong and as a Red V member you have zero say. We’ve been allowed to drift to bottom dwellers to a point now we are seen as a joke and even our own players lack respect and pride in the jersey.

denis preston

First Grade
Know that Webby is CEO but geez i d like someone to get access to Gordon, Black, Piggott , Lancaster , Doust etc and get them to feel the fire up their clacker and get them out of their rockholes. Webb has done a great job since taking over but for me what's the fuc--n use of a red V membership when we don't have a choice in who is steering the ship ???

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Anyone know how much each of the board members get paid?

I know with publicly listed companies it’s readily available..

Just think it would make for a rather robust debate between fans and board

rasaint

Juniors
Look I want to mention that although slightly off topic; this is related.

I just read the Titans are signing Cam Smith because they have $600k left under the cap. That’s after Fifita on $1.2m, Halfback $1m, huge Melbourne SOE prop surely $700k + etc etc.

We are bleeding players like Tyson Fizzel $700k Cam Mc,$550k James G $500k Korbin Simms (reported $450k) etc etc. something doesn’t add up. Surely, unremarkable aging Mc Cullough not on $600k or something stupid for 3 years? Our roster is very weak pure and simple. Doggies now reported getting Staggs from Brisbane after all their purchases.

Very strange.

thebigredv

First Grade

I just read the Titans are signing Cam Smith because they have $600k left under the cap. That’s after Fifita on $1.2m, Halfback $1m, huge Melbourne SOE prop surely $700k + etc etc.

We are bleeding players like Tyson Fizzel $700k Cam Mc,$550k James G $500k Korbin Simms (reported $450k) etc etc. something doesn’t add up. Surely, unremarkable aging Mc Cullough not on $600k or something stupid for 3 years? Our roster is very weak pure and simple. Doggies now reported getting Staggs from Brisbane after all their purchases.

Very strange.

From one old mates club to another... maybe alex glenn is next or someone like that. People leach off this club for their own gains and fans eventually lose out each time.

Levy is right about the board but he is a bit late to the party like most half-hearted Dragons fans. He was also very pro McGregor until his position was no longer tenable. Probably will be the same with Griffin who is proving zero worth on the recruitment front truth be told.

Kylez3

Juniors

Very strange.

Spot on. It's unacceptable

We also lost Aitken and Lafai who were on decent coin and and even blokes like Sailor and Saab, who weren't on much money granted, but it all adds up to a significant amount of cash to spend.

Alvaro would surely only be on a moderate contract, and the Broncos are chipping in for Bird.

The club has also re-signed the likes of Ravalawa, Ramsey, The Twins, Clune, Kerr and Ellis. Most of the aforementioned names would not be commanding big salaries, apart from Kerr perhaps who could be on around 400-450k which is nothing crazy.

No purchases for 2022 either.

Where is all the money being spent Millward?

Latest posts