What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryles it is NOT - Rejects Dragons

Slippery Morris

First Grade

BREAKING: St George Illawarra appoint Jason Ryles as head coach​

BY LEAGUE INITIATIVE

May 30, 2023 in Clubs, News, St George Illawarra Dragons

League Initiative can reveal that the St George Illawarra Dragons have officially appointed Jason Ryles as their head coach from the 2024 NRL season.

The Dragons are set to officially announce the appointment to Red V members and fans this week, however, League Initiative can confirm that ink has been put to paper.
Ryles is to be appointed for a four year term that includes performance hurdles in year three and four which will require the team to reach specific benchmarks.
As part of the negotiations, Ryles insisted that ultimate control of the football department must rest with the head coach in order to avoid interference from external factors. Ryles is said to be conscious of the issues that have hampered the club’s performance in recent years, therefore, ensuring that the football department has total control of football related matters, such as recruitment and retention, was a fierce priority for Ryles.

Ryles will now spend the remainder of the 2023 season finalising his support staff and reviewing the Dragons‘ roster until he is able to take over from interim head coach Ryan Carr. The Sydney Roosters have not shied away from airing their displeasure towards Ryles, and initially, were set to insist that Ryles be placed on gardening leave. However, the Roosters will immediately and acrimoniously part ways with their assistant coach.

Who is Jason Ryles?

Jason Ryles made his NRL debut for the St George Illawarra Dragons in 2000 and played 156 games for the Red V until his departure in 2008. In 2009, Ryles joined the Catalans Dragons in France before returning to Australia with stints at the Sydney Roosters and Melbourne Storm.
Ryles commenced his coaching career in 2012 as an assistant coach for the NSW State of Origin under 20s rugby team. He continued in that role in 2013 and achieved success by defeating Queensland’s under 20s team in both years.
After retiring as a player in the National Rugby League, Ryles became the head coach of the Western Suburbs Red Devils for the 2014/2015 seasons. In 2015, Ryles was approached by the Melbourne Storm to join their coaching staff as an assistant coach. He held this position until the autumn of 2020. During his time with the Storm, Ryles also assisted in coaching England’s national rugby union team periodically. From 2016 to the present, Ryles served as the assistant coach for the Junior Kangaroos in 2016 and 2017. In autumn 2020, Ryles joined England as a full-time skills coach, but he was unable to participate in the 2021 Six Nations Championship due to travel restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. He left the role in May 2021. In 2022, Ryles joined the Sydney Roosters as an assistant coach.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I’m happy & see it’s a step in the right direction with full control over the entire football matters.
Welcome Jason & good luck, I also hope you can find a place for Ryan Carr in your all important coaching team.
I look forward to hearing what unfolds in the rest of 2023 shaping the team and staff for next year.

Dragon David

First Grade

I would prefer to see confirmation of this in the St George Illawarra Dragons website.

I expect that it will be announced this week as everyone and his dog has been saying, but it is always good to see it in black and white on our website.

Draginzaaar

Bench

I would prefer to see confirmation of this in the St George Illawarra Dragons website.

I expect that it will be announced this week as everyone and his dog has been saying, but it is always good to see it in black and white on our website.
They probably have to have a board meeting to decide to announce.

Illusion

Bench
Well not what I was hoping but , good luck to him and I hope he smashes this right out of the park ...... Full control great for him , keeps out all the board members sticking their noses in ...... Said else where they have hit rock bottom , So Ryles can only improve and go up , but for me if its just missing out on a top 8 spot and the board are happy with that , then its a no from me , it has to be a top 8 spot or better or they are running on the same ground ...... TIME WILL TELL .........

SAP58

Juniors
negotiating while on the job and walking 18 month pre contract end would be a fair grounds for being a little pissed
The Rorters are just sooks, they are playing ordinary & someone dares to upset them. Everyone knows Assistant Coaches are nomads and will jump at an opportunity to take on a head coaching role if the opportunity arises. Suck it up fellas.