What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S o o - 3

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Waterhouse was 3rd man in and attacked the head of a player. I think he deserved to be sent off.

Not sure why they pulled the try though.

Great game. Lots of big collisions. Kimmorley and Barrett gave us good width. That was the difference.

looked like a sleeper hold to me, but I think Price's lights were already dim thanks to White

Gronk

Staff member
I never have really understood how reactionary the refs are these days. A punch is a punch and gets a caution. Yet if the same punch breaks a glass jaw then the player fronts the judiciary.

Even though there was a scuffle during the Hayne no-try, if Price didn't go down like a bag of sh*t, the try would have been awarded IMO and cautions on the run issued.

The Cameron Smith bomb was probably the highlight of the series for mine. Watching the Qld'ers queuing up for the next tackle after Kidley was smashed was a close second.

QUEENSLANDER!!!!!

strider

Post Whore
apparently Thurston has only be charged with a low grade contrary conduct charge and has taken an early plea to allow him to play this weekend ..... FMD, that was a full blooded, intentional boot in the face - he never thought better of it and checked it half way through .... Hindy copped it for much less .... would be interesting to see what would have happened had williams ended up with a broken cheekbone? ... :crazy:

YET, waterhouse WILL get a week's suspension for doing nothing more than running in a tackling a guy in a fight ..... white was the one who knocked him out people! look at the f'n replay!

strider

Post Whore
The Cameron Smith bomb was probably the highlight of the series for mine. Watching the Qld'ers queuing up for the next tackle after Kidley was smashed was a close second.

QUEENSLANDER!!!!!
yeah - interesting choice .... clearly the qlder's were running scared and didn't want to take a few tough tackles themselves :lol: :lol:

i particularly liked hodges cheap punch on gidley - dunno why they thought gidley deserved anything - if you wanna go the biff, give it to the guy you think deserves to cop it .... but its much tougher to kick it to the smallest guy in the opposition team and then take a few cheap shots at him :lol:

I don't think it mattered by that stage Stridsey...it was the unlucky sod who caught it.

BTW Ben Creagh...nice retreat....I re-watched this morning and OMG.

strider

Post Whore
I don't think it mattered by that stage Stridsey...it was the unlucky sod who caught it.

BTW Ben Creagh...nice retreat....I re-watched this morning and OMG.
well come on belly he's a pastey red headed, white boy - what do you expect? :lol: :lol:

we needed guru out there - he would have stepped in a given hodges what he deserved

The Colonel

Immortal
The funniest bit was Hodges acting all tough behind play hoping the referee didn't let him get around him and then throwing punches at Gidley in a three man tackle. They breed em tough in Queensland..... :roll:

As for the Waterhouse sendoff.... granted he was third man in and shouldn't have been involved but Price was out before Waterhouse even got near him. The injury would have occured when Waterhouse fell on him. Shame to see him stretchered off but about time we had a decent blue in Origin.

I'd just like to know where the testicular fortitude was in the first two games.

The Colonel

Immortal
The thing we're all missing...

How the hell did a massive CAT like White stand up to Price? :crazy:

Cat on Cat...... Price has made a career out of diving at players legs calling it a chargedown and Brett White is a cat of the highest order.

strider

Post Whore
The funniest bit was Hodges acting all tough behind play hoping the referee didn't let him get around him and then throwing punches at Gidley in a three man tackle. They breed em tough in Queensland..... :roll:

As for the Waterhouse sendoff.... granted he was third man in and shouldn't have been involved but Price was out before Waterhouse even got near him. The injury would have occured when Waterhouse fell on him. Shame to see him stretchered off but about time we had a decent blue in Origin.

I'd just like to know where the testicular fortitude was in the first two games.
what injury? ... they said he had no pins and needles or anything after the game ... he was just knocked out - the neck brace and all was just precautionary

what injury? ... they said he had no pins and needles or anything after the game ... he was just knocked out - the neck brace and all was just precautionary

Stridsey...normally I think you are probably the most consistently tempered poster on these forums but are you trying to say that Waterhouse didn't have any impact on what happened to Pricey when he hit the deck??

Parra Guru

Coach
There was nothing wrong with the biff. The knee wasn't a low act, just a bit of niggle, and two guys squaring off is fine. Price got K.O'd by a punch from White, Waterhouse collected him on the way down which is the problem. The try should have been awarded IMO. How many origin tries has Hayne been robbed of?

If that happened in the 20th minute, Archer wouldn't have had the balls to send Waterhouse off.

Then, in true cat QLD style, they put up the bomb and go after someone small like Gidley. Hodges mouths off, then runs behind someone else. Can Hodges or Inglis even punch? "watch your back" :lol: oh please.

The kick in the face should have been a send off offence, but again it happened in the early stages of the game and the ref has no balls.

Once again, Thurston proves he is a real hard hitter in the sledging department.... (what a role model) :roll:

Punches fly as Blues restore lost pride

TRENT WATERHOUSE was sent off, Ben Creagh and Sam Thaiday sin-binned and Maroons halfback Johnathan Thurston faces suspension after last night's series finale erupted into old-fashioned Origin violence as NSW prevented Queensland from a 3-0 clean sweep to save Craig Bellamy the ignominy of having the worst coaching record in Origin history.
Maroons fans littered the ground with bottles as Waterhouse was dismissed in the 79th minute. He was the third man in a confrontation between Steve Price and Brett White that resulted in the Queenslander being taken from the field. Creagh and Thaiday were sin-binned after another fight when the game finally resumed.
As replays of the incident in which Price was felled were shown on the big screen, Maroons centre Justin Hodges had to be physically restrained from attacking a Blues opponent, repeatedly saying "watch your back".
The game ended with a brawl, and referee Shayne Hayne had to stop Michael Crocker from chasing Michael Ennis around the field.
Earlier, Thurston was placed on report six minutes before half-time after leaving David Williams with a bruised and bleeding face when he stuck out his left foot to try and prevent the NSW winger from scoring after Maroons fullback Billy Slater had lost the ball in-goal.
Video referees Paul Simpkins and Tim Mander also awarded the first eight-point try in Origin history to the Blues, but there was controversy over the decision as such a ruling can only be made if an act of foul play occurs before a player scores. Williams had already grounded the ball when Thurston booted him in the face.
Blues players had no doubt that the extra penalty was warranted after approaching referee Tony Archer to complain about the incident, prompting Thurston to tell one: "Shut up you spastic."
After Gidley had earlier questioned a benefit of the doubt ruling for Queensland's first try by Dallas Johnson in the 12th minute, Thurston had told Archer as he lined up his conversion attempt: "What's he whingeing about." The bitter verbal exchanges underlined the depth of feeling between the two teams as the Maroons tried to become the first team since NSW in 2000 to complete a 3-0 whitewash, and the Blues sought to restore some pride after a record four consecutive series defeats.
Heading into last night's match with just one win as NSW coach since taking over from Graham Murray last season, Bellamy needed a victory to avoid the unwanted distinction of having the worst record of any Origin mentor in the 28 years since the concept began.

The Blues' 28-16 win means that technically rests with former Queensland coach Mark Murray, who had just one win in two series but he can at least claim to have steered the Maroons to a series victory in 1999 after they drew the final match.
If Bellamy was to survive in the job next season he would be the first coach from either state to be reappointed after losing consecutive series.
The Blues must also now decide whether to stick with veteran halves pairing Brett Kimmorley and Trent Barrett next year after announcing at the start of this series that they were looking to the future when they named a team for Origin I with seven debutants.
In contrast, Kimmorley and Barrett were the oldest scrumbase combination in Origin history but their experience gave the Blues a more settled appearance.
After his high shot on Greg Inglis in Origin II, Barrett was singled out for some extra attention by the Queensland players in the opening exchanges of last night's match, with Johnson hitting him late after he had passed the ball on one occasion and Thurston working the 32-year-old five-eighth over on the ground in another tackle.
Tempers flared over on a number of occasions before the game exploded in the 79th minute with the wild brawl that led to Price being taken from the field on a medicab.
Kimmorley was also outstanding, which raised the question of how he could have been considered too old for the opening two matches.
By helping to spoil the Maroons celebrations, the Blues might have also prolonged the representative career of Queensland captain Darren Lockyer, who had indicated he would retire from Origin if he was able to lead his state to its first clean sweep since 1995.
Aside from Lockyer, the match was likely to be the last Origin for Maroons utility Karmichael Hunt, who is expected to switch codes and play rugby union in either Japan or Europe.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/origin/punches-fly-as-blues-win/2009/07/15/1247337168647.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Parra Guru

Coach
Stridsey...normally I think you are probably the most consistently tempered poster on these forums but are you trying to say that Waterhouse didn't have any impact on what happened to Pricey when he hit the deck??

Look, I don't like Waterhouse, but I think he was coming in to crash tackle Price out of the fight. White knocked him out half a second before Waterhouse's impact. Is the problem more what happened once he hit the ground?

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
poor Price fell over and hurt himself, he threw the first punch and got what he deserved hitting a bloke on his knees

weak as
TBH - Pricey has always been a fan of using his knees. White knocked him out in a fair fight - good on him. Pricey wants to start that sh*t, he should learn from Dogeball. Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive and Dodge!

interesting to see the rednecks north of the border still believe beer is for throwing :lol: :lol:
Unbelievable!!!! It's like Parra fans and booing - don't complain about being KNOWN for doing something so incredibly stupid AND THEN DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!!

You can tell who the bright ones are here - apparently enjoying seeing a player knocked out and stretchered off.
Show me where someone said that? People said they enjoyed the fight (which was A.W.E.S.O.M.E) but noone ever said they enjoyed seeing someone injured. TBH - Pricey started and lost that fight. He should be embarassed, not offended. Whitey is a fair fighter!!

Latest posts