What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

3 great clubs with strong cultures

Storm - best coach in the business and turn turds into gold plated baguettes
Panthers - development club, turn juniors into superstars
Rorters - poach everyone's juniors/top tier players
Knights - no baguettes, no juniors, no 3rd parties to poach anyone. 456870749_1042986350508140_3029658124648899803_n.jpg

PhilGould

Bench
I'll say - all of the signs publicly point to AOB sticking around but the same was being said last year until all of a sudden that wasn't the case anymore. They were actively looking for his replacement even a few weeks into the win streak. Similar story with the end of Nathan Brown's tenure, there was no real talk of him moving on until all of a sudden they announced he was going one afternoon, and AOB immediately became the heavy favourite to replace him with reports those conversations had already been happening prior.

I think if it's the Knights and it's true (both big ifs) the earmarked replacement would likely be someone they could get for cheap while they're still paying out AOB. Don't think they'd be bringing in the reigning State of Origin winning coach for example. My guess would be someone who's already on the payroll and with a known desire to test himself as an NRL head coach (after a long history of success elsewhere), two factors that I imagine would make negotiations pretty straightforward.

Yosh

Coach

SHOOSH

Which NRL club board is split over the future of its head coach. It’s a big story because they have already earmarked a potential replacement.

From Buzz's column. About as vague as it gets but the Knights are the obvious team that comes to mind, most of the other mediocre/bad teams either already have a new coach coming in or a coach in the first year of a longterm deal.
Can someone post the article here? Thanks.

Woody90

Juniors
The fact that whichever club it is has a replacement earmarked is the interesting bit for me. Not many decent coaches available at the moment.

I know McDermott is considered highly within the club and he’d come cheap in the sense that I reckon he’d almost be keen to coach FG on his assistant salary to get his foot in the door which would allow them to pay out AOB.

For the record I’m not sold on McDermott for a lot of reasons, but just saying it would make sense. I think we need a whole new coaching structure as most of our issues are tactical, but I’m also at the point that I’d be happy to us to try anything.

Having a replacement lined up before sacking the current coach would also be very on brand for us.

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
If that were indeed the case, I'd prefer a replacement be at the ready before a coach is moved on. The alternative is to move said coach on and THEN start looking for a replacement, all the while in between we have no coach and we hope a decent one is available and is happy to come to us. And what if they all turn us down?