What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

perverse

Referee
He can't motivate them properly for a whole season, nor can he get them attacking until the season is nearly out of reach, nor can he attract talent to the club.

If we played like we have the past couple of weeks/end of last year all the time, then no-one would be complaining. The problem is, it all comes off the back of Kalyn. His game plan is "hold the fort until Kalyn wins us the game". It's very genius stuff, only a master tactician would come up with it.

Apey

Staff member
Wouldn't mind if we brought back "give Best the ball in the 20m zone". We've reverted to using him as a battering ram coming out of our own half.

Woody90

Juniors
He can't motivate them properly for a whole season, nor can he get them attacking until the season is nearly out of reach, nor can he attract talent to the club.

I don’t really agree with this. To me I don’t think we’ve had any glaring attitude problems for a long time now, outside of a few isolated exceptions like DSaf but I’m not blaming AOB for not being able to motivate him as putting forwards on long-term large contracts usually leads to poor motivation for the individual player.

I think our bigger issue is that the spine is very weak - really good tactical coaches are able to come up with a game plan to get the best out of what they’ve got, but AOB either can’t, or doesn’t want to as it goes against his philosophy of attacking to set up your defence. Either we need a new spine, or a coach who’s happy to play to the strengths of what he’s got if we want to progress further IMO.

Burwood

Bench
His Post-match press conference where he discussed kicking tactics was interesting. I can understand the tactic and it definitely has its place, but not for 80min every match. The team has no ability to adapt its game plans mid match.

Haffa

If we played like we have the past couple of weeks/end of last year all the time, then no-one would be complaining. The problem is, it all comes off the back of Kalyn. His game plan is "hold the fort until Kalyn wins us the game". It's very genius stuff, only a master tactician would come up with it.
Outside of the run at end of last year where he threw away the playbook, his best year was 2020 where he was able to control every detail of the players lives.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Yeah I don’t think the team lacks motivation, the effort has been fairly consistently good over the last 5 years with the occasional shocker thrown in (games against Manly and the Dogs this year stand out from that category) so I don’t think him being able to motivate the players or get them up for the fight is the problem.

We have one of the worst spines in the league, and if KP wasn’t there it would definitely be the worst. I think it’s pretty clear that the club recognises this hence we’ve tapped Brailey and Hastings on the shoulder now. I would say that last year was a bit of a false economy in a way because these guys all played their best football for a 10 week stretch (who knows, possibly the best football they’ll ever play) and then haven’t been able to pack it up this year.

Imo, AOB hasn’t done a bad job. It is infuriating how he tries to dumb down the tactics as much as he does at times but he’s got the right idea at least when it comes to the “DNA” of what he wants the side to be, and I think he’s been pretty clear about his messaging with that since he got here.

Ultimately we can compare him to the premiership winning coaches as much as we want but look at the spines that Bellamy, Robinson and Cleary have at their disposal it’s not even close. All three of those are bursting with talent and arguably several of those players will go onto be all time greats. We simply don’t have that outside of KP.

I’m of the opinion that if we can upgrade 2 out of those 3 other spine positions (preferably hooker and halfback) and can get a couple of guys in who are able to do their job to at least a strong NRL standard every week then we’re cooking with gas.

That’s what we’ve brought O’Sullivan in to do right?

Latest posts