What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SACK DEAN YOUNG

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I thought Young is the Assistant Coach, Carr was looking after the attack and Ben Woolf defence like last season. Woolf may go back to Qld to be with his brother at the Dolphins and Saints may bring in someone knew.

You can criticise the defence but attack was not that much better. It was still give the ball to Hunt and hope for the best most of the time.

jay mac

Juniors
I thought Young is the Assistant Coach, Carr was looking after the attack and Ben Woolf defence like last season. Woolf may go back to Qld to be with his brother at the Dolphins and Saints may bring in someone knew.

You can criticise the defence but attack was not that much better. It was still give the ball to Hunt and hope for the best most of the time.
Surprisingly, saints missed 2nd fewest tackles in NRL this regular season (only the Storm had fewer missed tackles). Also surprisingly, the Dogs missed the most tackles. I don’t think defence is the issue. For mine it is a) go forward and b) self belief. Hunt does not help with either.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Surprisingly, saints missed 2nd fewest tackles in NRL this regular season (only the Storm had fewer missed tackles). Also surprisingly, the Dogs missed the most tackles. I don’t think defence is the issue. For mine it is a) go forward and b) self belief. Hunt does not help with either.
A more interesting stat would be who misses them where they miss them and when they miss them! You can see in some games where our defence has improved e.g Titans and Melbourne second round. However, we have some deplorable misses at crucial times in the game, which just changes the whole complexity of the game, particularly out-wide. It’s still a big problem and unfortunately the technique wasn’t developed with some players coming through the grades.

Last edited:

since77

Juniors
If that's truly the case - do you have a source for that? - then that's proof right there that stats on their own are very misleading - just like the famous Ben Hunt try assist stat that the media love to talk about.
Defence was most definitely our biggest issue this year - and it all came down to attitude and intent from the players.
By the way on the Dogs defence - their success in defence came down to their ability to get away with slowing down the ruck all season in old fashioned Melbourne Storm style. You can get away with missing a lot of tackles if you scramble well and are given a free pass to slow down the play the ball.

jay mac

Juniors
If that's truly the case - do you have a source for that? - then that's proof right there that stats on their own are very misleading - just like the famous Ben Hunt try assist stat that the media love to talk about.
Defence was most definitely our biggest issue this year - and it all came down to attitude and intent from the players.
By the way on the Dogs defence - their success in defence came down to their ability to get away with slowing down the ruck all season in old fashioned Melbourne Storm style. You can get away with missing a lot of tackles if you scramble well and are given a free pass to slow down the play the ball.
Straight from NRL.com (it has added in the finals week 1 stats since i looked, but you get the drift):
1726467883094.png
My point was, I think our defensive issues have more to do with attitude than technical aspects. And i think there are other aspects of our game that are more problematic than our defence (ironically, attitude and self-belief being one of them). Flanno needs another good off season, and one with a proper leader of men on the training paddock.

jay mac

Juniors
A more interesting stat would be who misses them where they miss them and when they miss them! You can see in some games where our defence has improved e.g Titans and Melbourne second round. However, we have some deplorable misses at crucial times in the game, which just changes the whole complexity of the game, particularly out-wide. It’s still a big problem and unfortunately the technique wasn’t developed with some players coming through the grades.
Who misses them?

Liddle - 83
Hunt - 76
Su'A - 71
Eisenhuth - 62

Where? Typically, in front of the try line
When? Usually when we need to win to stay in the eight. And usually in spurts of, say, 10-20 minutes.

Latest posts