What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Flanagan

56to66

Juniors
IMHO there are 2 Things that must happen for Flanno to save his own ass, or be sacked by the end of 2025.
Dean Young must be sacked immediately to save this season, bring in Josh Hannay or even sacked Brad Arthur's as assistant.
If St George are not well entrenched in the top 7 in 2025.
If Mr Shayne Flanagan is smart enough, he should first be smashing on the door of the CEO requesting a new assistant coach.

I get the feeling that Flanagan is a better coach than Hook. The results overall and progress of a few players seems to reflect that. But it is cold comfort.

Sacking Hook and Mary for that matter were never going to save this club. We all know where the actual problem is - motivation of the owners/operators and the board.

Shane is not going to save this club. People want to hold on to this figment of an idea because it helps them sleep or stay sane.

Shane can't prove himself until he gets the right players but he can't get the right players. Only when you have the right players can you start planning a premiership. We are light years off that and with the mount of dead wood we are rolling out it's questionable if we are even heading in the right direction.

The inevitable feeling of the gates opening every time a few things go against us is new and I don't like it. I switched off twice this year already and I honestly I haven't done that before in 30+ years watching the Dragons play. Our defence under adversity has not been this bad before and adversity is just part and parcel of professional sport. More floggings are around the corner.

We are 100% screwed.

The writing is on the wall.

1716607192136.png

Phantom V

Juniors
If we were to look at our win/ loss record realistically it’s probably around where we thought we’d be given our current squad. To expect a new coach no matter who it is to right the ship in such a short space of time is ridiculous and laughable. The margin of some of the results is of concern but I feel more comfortable knowing we have an experienced premiership winning coach at the helm than an unproven novice.
For those of you writing off Flanno already may I remind you that SuperCoach Bennett achieved only 9 wins in his inaugural year with the Dolphins with an arguably better squad. PERSPECTIVE.

twinkletoes

Juniors
The dude is the coach, not the head of recruitment or the Board of directors

He is one part of the puzzle.

Very easy to criticise him

He has turned up to a knife fight with a toothpick
It is inexcusable that the club has not had a well credentialed recruitment manager for nearly 2 years…..Just an amateurish club competing with professionally run high achieving clubs.

I’ve said before the same old boys club is lurking in the background….the football department, recruitment, board and ceo are absolute rubbish. Flano turning up solo for the press conference says it all..trying to do everything himself without any support.

and for Dean Young to be mentioned as a head coach is ludicrous….every position he has held either with Dragons or Cowboys have turned out to be disasters under his expertise…. Defensive coach of Dragons… disaster, defensive coach of Cowboys…. disaster, standin coach at DRAGONS….disaster… he has no credentials to be even considered as a head coach. What we need is someone like Justin Holbrook who has helped turn the roosters into a great attacking side

Dragon David

First Grade
It is inexcusable that the club has not had a well credentialed recruitment manager for nearly 2 years…..Just an amateurish club competing with professionally run high achieving clubs.

I’ve said before the same old boys club is lurking in the background….the football department, recruitment, board and ceo are absolute rubbish. Flano turning up solo for the press conference says it all..trying to do everything himself without any support.

and for Dean Young to be mentioned as a head coach is ludicrous….every position he has held either with Dragons or Cowboys have turned out to be disasters under his expertise…. Defensive coach of Dragons… disaster, defensive coach of Cowboys…. disaster, standin coach at DRAGONS….disaster… he has no credentials to be even considered as a head coach. What we need is someone like Justin Holbrook who has helped turn the roosters into a great attacking side
By the way. I can't remember the last time we heard from CEO Ryan Webb our administrative spokesperson for the club on any matters about what the club is aiming to do. Poor Flanno has to do it all in the face of adversity and uncertainty and despair.

We used to have regular interviews with fitness staff, recruitment staff, player interviews in general, CEO updates etc. Where has that all gone? Where is the pride coming out of the head office - none exists?

As I said, Flanno appears to be the face of the Dragons and he must feel the pressure because he doesn't have all of the answers when we look like a rabble most of the time.

No wonder no-one wants to be a part of the behind the scenes work. What is happening about getting O'Sullivan as the Recruitment and Pathways Manager - what, what, what????

We need a strong Football Manager to take control of the whole footy business - no strings attached and go for broke.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Why Blame Dean Young? Seems like an easy scape goat, during the Mary Years wasn't Fraud Flanno an assistant coach? Did we blame the fraudster at that time and say he should be sacked but the head coach should get a free pass?

Also for the Flanno doesn't have the cattle excuse or Flanno didn't know the club was a basket case, his time as list manager he had the chance to do something about the first excuse and his time as assistant coach would surely have given him some idea of the way the club operates?

Flanno the fraud is certainly not without blame in the position the club finds itself in.

Let's get a competent coach of good character and integrity and put the right structures around them to give our club every chance of success for the future 👍

Gomarchin

Juniors
IMHO there are 2 Things that must happen for Flanno to save his own ass, or be sacked by the end of 2025.
Dean Young must be sacked immediately to save this season, bring in Josh Hannay or even sacked Brad Arthur's as assistant.
If Mr Shayne Flanagan is smart enough, he should first be smashing on the door of the CEO requesting a new assistant coach.
I don't think Deano was Flano's choice as assistant coach. I'm sure it was condition of his appointment.

raydragon

Juniors
I get the feeling that Flanagan is a better coach than Hook. The results overall and progress of a few players seems to reflect that. But it is cold comfort.

Sacking Hook and Mary for that matter were never going to save this club. We all know where the actual problem is - motivation of the owners/operators and the board.

Shane is not going to save this club. People want to hold on to this figment of an idea because it helps them sleep or stay sane.

Shane can't prove himself until he gets the right players but he can't get the right players. Only when you have the right players can you start planning a premiership. We are light years off that and with the mount of dead wood we are rolling out it's questionable if we are even heading in the right direction.

The inevitable feeling of the gates opening every time a few things go against us is new and I don't like it. I switched off twice this year already and I honestly I haven't done that before in 30+ years watching the Dragons play. Our defence under adversity has not been this bad before and adversity is just part and parcel of professional sport. More floggings are around the corner.

We are 100% screwed.

The writing is on the wall.

View attachment 88558

saintmar

Juniors
Don’t blame Young for Flanos shortcomings.
The head coach is ultimately responsible

raydragon

Juniors
This is a picture of a broken man, he has to be given support which I don't think he is getting ,this board and club has to start all over forget about this St George crap and Illawarra shit that is going on get rid of this board and start afresh with people who support St George Illawarra.people that love the club as it is today not what it was 30 or forty years ago. I have been a dragons supporter since 1964 so I have been through some highs and lows but still support this wonderfull club. so for mine support the coach and the players and piss the board and manage off, before is to late. maybe it is to late already. something has to happen we have sacked coaches blamed players but the board and management still keep there cosy jobs.
ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS FOREVER.

Dragon David

First Grade
I don't think Deano was Flano's choice as assistant coach. I'm sure it was condition of his appointment.
I honestly think so too Gomarchin. Flanno wasn't first choice in any case and Doust wasn't that keen to have him so maybe Doust, through Craig Young, said that he would agree to Flanno being head coach if and only if Flanno has DY as his defence assistant coach. Otherwise Ben Woolf might have been Flanno's assistant in defence and Ryan Carr the attacking assistant which he currently is and Dean left right out. Oh, the politics of it all. The club will fail unless they can hire an astute football manager just like Jason Ryles wanted.

Lennyb

Juniors
Can anyone point out what credential DY has to date…. Has he done anything in his coaching experience which would make you say he’s got talent?? Just can’t fathom the love affair with him when he’s achieved absolutely zero
Best mates with Flanno, got him the job.

justadragon

Bench
I'm not sure what the point of your rant is here, Justa?

I'm very well within my rights to critique Flanagan's coaching ability and character, particularly when he is doing a piss poor job of being a head coach.

It's high time that people in this place realise the problems of our team run a lot deeper than the coach, something I've pointed out for a very long time. Along with that, those same people also need to come to the realisation that they were dead wrong and naive in their previous and in the majority of cases, ongoing views that Flanagan can right the ship.

Flanagan gets no sympathy from me as he knew what he was getting in to and previously claimed that at Cronulla he ran recruitment and pathways under a similar set up. If that fool has realised now he has bitten off more than he can chew and decides to step down as head coach, I'll be very hopeful that our next coach can make demands to change the hierarchical structure of the club BEFORE they are appointed.
Furthermore that Fool will still be half as foolish as the people who I've made mention of above.
My point here is, what you are after, we cant change or fix. You wont find one member on here that disagrees with you about the board or the management we have had and have. As for Flanno being a recruiting manager or assistant coach, agree lots of things could have changed but what control did Mary have over him or the club. Unless you are part of this inner sanctum day in day out, nor you or I or anyone on this forum will know exactly what is being done. I dont know what Flanno's employment conditions were and nor do I care, he wasn't my first choice, Hasler was, but I wont crucify him after 11 games, sure he may have said some things which he shouldn't have but every coach says things, would you prefer he said "the Dragons are a loser club giving me my last chance to coach". If you were to put away the hate for a bit and allow the process to play itself out, you may get your wish sooner rather than later, Flanno is very aware of where he stands.