What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Flanagan

Kolum Kid

Juniors
The point is we still have a lot to prove and the jury is well and truly still out.

When we start beating reasonable sides who are not down on troops I will be more than happy to say we have turned the corner.

I understand the cock a hoop attitude but it's not for me as I don't want a quick fling I prefer a much more stable relationship.

Are we looking better in some respects no doubt about that but in so many simple areas we still look like the same old rabble.

No Lawrie and a Couchman would go a long way to helping my long term anxiety levels drop a little.
If you look at the replacements they have to fill in I'd argue that they were still a reasonable side(after all aren't they being called the greatest side). Their so called "next man up" didn't work out for them yesterday.I certainly wasn't confident of a win but credit where credit is due, our first defence was pretty solid and our second half attack was encouraging. Our task is to maintain this in the next few games.

gregstar

Referee
Flannelette is a genius.

We thrashed the team coming second last, crucially scoring a couple of tries when they were down to 12 men.

I think it's pretty safe to say I was wrong about him. Surely the board could see their way clear to offering him a decade-long contract on his terms & asking Price.

Keep Flanno!

matPORTS

Juniors
After the big losses we had against the Roosters on ANZAC Day and recently against the Bulldogs post-our first bye - the three previous 'coaches' we had would certainly have not had answers to keep us going.

Despite us being a major 'work in progress' this year, Flanno has kept us on the straight and narrow, hasn't let any outside noise become a distraction, and continues to hone in on those areas that need improvement in order for us to become a consistently successful team in the coming 3-5 years.

I commented prior to the Panthers game that I thought the changes made were positive...

Ravalawa, for example, has reportedly not been meeting the new standards being set by Flanno & staff at training. By the look of it - that came to fruition yesterday when he was sent off in NSW Cup for a outburst at the officials. Has deserved to be dropped - and may well end up spending some time in suspension as well. Needed a kick up the backside. It's either going to be a come back stronger or out on his backside type scenario.

The Feagai twins - the majority of the same supporters who didn't think they deserved to be recalled to first grade are the same who were calling for them to be given a shot during the late Mary and into the Hook years. These guys have speed and while their footballing nous still needs a bit of work, if anyone is going to get them right it's Flanno and his staff.

The Couchman twins - Toby was awesome against the Panthers, and despite not getting big minutes last night he still had a couple of good carries. Time back in reserve grade has done both twins well (and they will continue to get more minutes back in reserve grade as well).

Carrying all (capable) middles and no utility on the bench the last couple of games - this is an indicator of where Flanno wants to take this team into the coming years. Playing an uptempo physical game. Yes we will need to recruit an elite middle or two in order to make this brand of footy successful.

The challenge for the rest of the year is going to be tough. We have some tough away games in Brisbane & Melbourne. We will also play some teams who will be keen to prove themselves (i.e. on the cusp of making the finals and players looking to impress ahead of new coaches coming into their team next year). Can we do enough to make the finals? Can we exceed expectations and perhaps entrench ourselves in the eight over the next three months? Will we experience some more heavy & disappointing defeats? We could easily put yes and no against all of these scenarios - and that is pretty exciting all the same.

Dragon David

First Grade
After the big losses we had against the Roosters on ANZAC Day and recently against the Bulldogs post-our first bye - the three previous 'coaches' we had would certainly have not had answers to keep us going.

Despite us being a major 'work in progress' this year, Flanno has kept us on the straight and narrow, hasn't let any outside noise become a distraction, and continues to hone in on those areas that need improvement in order for us to become a consistently successful team in the coming 3-5 years.

I commented prior to the Panthers game that I thought the changes made were positive...

Ravalawa, for example, has reportedly not been meeting the new standards being set by Flanno & staff at training. By the look of it - that came to fruition yesterday when he was sent off in NSW Cup for a outburst at the officials. Has deserved to be dropped - and may well end up spending some time in suspension as well. Needed a kick up the backside. It's either going to be a come back stronger or out on his backside type scenario.

The Feagai twins - the majority of the same supporters who didn't think they deserved to be recalled to first grade are the same who were calling for them to be given a shot during the late Mary and into the Hook years. These guys have speed and while their footballing nous still needs a bit of work, if anyone is going to get them right it's Flanno and his staff.

The Couchman twins - Toby was awesome against the Panthers, and despite not getting big minutes last night he still had a couple of good carries. Time back in reserve grade has done both twins well (and they will continue to get more minutes back in reserve grade as well).

Carrying all (capable) middles and no utility on the bench the last couple of games - this is an indicator of where Flanno wants to take this team into the coming years. Playing an uptempo physical game. Yes we will need to recruit an elite middle or two in order to make this brand of footy successful.

The challenge for the rest of the year is going to be tough. We have some tough away games in Brisbane & Melbourne. We will also play some teams who will be keen to prove themselves (i.e. on the cusp of making the finals and players looking to impress ahead of new coaches coming into their team next year). Can we do enough to make the finals? Can we exceed expectations and perhaps entrench ourselves in the eight over the next three months? Will we experience some more heavy & disappointing defeats? We could easily put yes and no against all of these scenarios - and that is pretty exciting all the same.
A very good write up matPORTS, thanks.

Lennyb

Juniors
Flannelette is a genius.

We thrashed the team coming second last, crucially scoring a couple of tries when they were down to 12 men.

I think it's pretty safe to say I was wrong about him. Surely the board could see their way clear to offering him a decade-long contract on his terms & asking Price.

Keep Flanno!
Upon retirement.

The chairmans position at St George.

justadragon

Bench
Give Flanno the keys to the city. A scary thought, our board is so dumb they will leave it too long to lock up Flanno and another club will sign him. His signature on a long term contract should be our number 1 priority.
I really cant see the haste just yet, he has 3 years and we are only midway through season 1. Next year i think after seeing where we finish this year and who we have signed up, if any, how our juniors are progressing. Mid next year after a good look at where we stand i think would be more appropriate, just my thoughts though.

Dragon David

First Grade
I really cant see the haste just yet, he has 3 years and we are only midway through season 1. Next year i think after seeing where we finish this year and who we have signed up, if any, how our juniors are progressing. Mid next year after a good look at where we stand i think would be more appropriate, just my thoughts though.
Yes I think a bit too early for this for the reasons as you say justa.

BLM01

First Grade
Agree but no different to the haste some are showing to get rid of him or he is not doing a good job in recruitment etc
It’s about getting the guys in best fit fir the culture he us trying to instill or DNA as they put it these days
This is not many good ones available right now that fit
Although someone had mentioned it somewhere
Get Crossland for hooker utility etc but Newcastle won’t let him go

justadragon

Bench
Agree but no different to the haste some are showing to get rid of him or he is not doing a good job in recruitment etc
It’s about getting the guys in best fit fir the culture he us trying to instill or DNA as they put it these days
This is not many good ones available right now that fit
Although someone had mentioned it somewhere
Get Crossland for hooker utility etc but Newcastle won’t let him go
Agree BLM01, I've said it before, strength in our lower grades is where the club will grow from, yes we may buy the odd player, maybe, but our good ones with the required "DNA" are coming from our lower grades.