What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Flanagan

since77

Juniors
Listened to the Dragons Den podcast yesterday which featured Flanno after the Panthers game. Some interesting comments from him in there. One got my attention.
He was asked what player surprised him most this year and he nominated Frank Molo. Went on to say he wasn't even considering him for first grade before preseason. But said he really embraced the new strength and fitness standards, changed his body shape and has gone on to get a new contract. That's quite a transformation.
So a lot to like about the way he is starting to get the best out of players.
Molo, Lomax, Sua all vastly improved this year.
Sloan, Kyle F trending upwards.
The guy might actually know what he's doing.....even if doesn't explain why Lawrie not only is still in the side but seems to have gone backwards.....

offiah

Juniors
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/8647843/i-had-no-choice-but-to-drop-ravalawa-says-flanagan/

"The group has been told numerous times that I'll give the senior players a bit of leeway, but I've got to put the best team out there.
"This is the best team available for us this weekend."
Asked if Ravalawa could have been moved back to the right where he has played previously, Flanagan said that's not the issue.
"It's not the side that Mika is playing on. It's lack of form at the moment," Flanagan said.
"So we can't toss up that he's on the wrong side."

Interesting quote here from Flanno, saying he's told the group that he gives senior players a bit of leeway. Surely Lawrie has used up that leeway by now? Or is more about easing the Couchmen in. I do remember him saying at the start of the year that they are great prospects but that they should be eased in to first grade.

dungay dragon

Juniors
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/8647843/i-had-no-choice-but-to-drop-ravalawa-says-flanagan/

"The group has been told numerous times that I'll give the senior players a bit of leeway, but I've got to put the best team out there.
"This is the best team available for us this weekend."
Asked if Ravalawa could have been moved back to the right where he has played previously, Flanagan said that's not the issue.
"It's not the side that Mika is playing on. It's lack of form at the moment," Flanagan said.
"So we can't toss up that he's on the wrong side."

Interesting quote here from Flanno, saying he's told the group that he gives senior players a bit of leeway. Surely Lawrie has used up that leeway by now? Or is more about easing the Couchmen in. I do remember him saying at the start of the year that they are great prospects but that they should be eased in to first grade.
Mods
Can we delete this entire thread " Sack Flanno "not offiahs
hardly seems relevant
Compared to previous Sack Threads , which most were fully supportive

56to66

Juniors
Mods
Can we delete this entire thread " Sack Flanno "not offiahs
hardly seems relevant
Compared to previous Sack Threads , which most were fully supportive
Can we create a thread voting on how long should the Flanno get an extension if the Dragons make the 8.
I reckon if the dragons make the top 8 he gets an extension to 2028.

Last edited:

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Listened to the Dragons Den podcast yesterday which featured Flanno after the Panthers game. Some interesting comments from him in there. One got my attention.
He was asked what player surprised him most this year and he nominated Frank Molo. Went on to say he wasn't even considering him for first grade before preseason. But said he really embraced the new strength and fitness standards, changed his body shape and has gone on to get a new contract. That's quite a transformation.
So a lot to like about the way he is starting to get the best out of players.
Molo, Lomax, Sua all vastly improved this year.
Sloan, Kyle F trending upwards.
The guy might actually know what he's doing.....even if doesn't explain why Lawrie not only is still in the side but seems to have gone backwards.....

Imo the likes of Lawrie, Feagai are getting 1st grade opportunity to showcase to other teams they're 1st grade quality in the hopes a team like the tigers pick them up & we get that salary off our books.

Victoire

Juniors
Imo the likes of Lawrie, Feagai are getting 1st grade opportunity to showcase to other teams they're 1st grade quality in the hopes a team like the tigers pick them up & we get that salary off our books.
The Feagais are off contract though, so as of this point they're not on our books for next season. Unless you mean prior to June 30, which also seems weird given the injury to Bird and the suspension of Rava. I just don't buy the shop window theory. We're in touch with the top 8, the coach would be focused on wins above all else

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Another inept performance under this inept coach. We are a dumb rabble of the team and today couldn't even beat a fringe top 8 side who had 13 blokes for 40 minutes, absolutely disgraceful!

The clowns who even hinted at us being top 8 the last week or two is laughable.

This poorly coached insipid side will not go anywhere near a top 8 finish this hear.

SACK FLANAGAN NOW!

hook hook

Juniors
Another inept performance under this inept coach. We are a dumb rabble of the team and today couldn't even beat a fringe top 8 side who had 13 blokes for 40 minutes, absolutely disgraceful!

The clowns who even hinted at us being top 8 the last week or two is laughable.

This poorly coached insipid side will not go anywhere near a top 8 finish this hear.

SACK FLANAGAN NOW!
HERE HE IS. THE VAMPIRE HAS AWOKEN, HE SMELLS THE BLOOD OF A LOSS! HOW WAS YOUR 2 WEEK SLUMBER BIG FELLA?

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Who can actually put their hand on heart and say this fraud of a coach has a plan to improve the team?

If people can do this, well I would love to know what the plan is?

Is the plan to extend Hunt and keep pandering to him all the while we tell Lomax to pack his bags because super coach wants him on the wing?

Is the plan to extend Sloan and hope that one day he isn't scared of catching the ball or tackling?

Is the plan to then keep signing off the scrap heap in the vain of Eisenhuth, Sele and Brown?

Or is the plan to sign club juniors who were deemed not good enough and then pay overs for them like Leilua and potentially Cook?

Is the plan to sign your son and coach him to take a dive so he goes for a HIA and we get a penalty?

This coach has absolutely no answers, nothing he has done is set to improve the club, he needs to be moved on ASAP.

saintmar

Juniors
Who can actually put their hand on heart and say this fraud of a coach has a plan to improve the team?

If people can do this, well I would love to know what the plan is?

Is the plan to extend Hunt and keep pandering to him all the while we tell Lomax to pack his bags because super coach wants him on the wing?

Is the plan to extend Sloan and hope that one day he isn't scared of catching the ball or tackling?

Is the plan to then keep signing off the scrap heap in the vain of Eisenhuth, Sele and Brown?

Or is the plan to sign club juniors who were deemed not good enough and then pay overs for them like Leilua and potentially Cook?

Is the plan to sign your son and coach him to take a dive so he goes for a HIA and we get a penalty?

This coach has absolutely no answers, nothing he has done is set to improve the club, he needs to be moved on ASAP.
You are 100 % correct in every point you make
This is very accurate
I laugh when I hear
”yeah but we are a better team because we have won more games than last year” BUT
1.Ttigers have also won more games then last year
2.Using last years wins as a measuring stick on this years performance is totally laughable and an acceptance of mediocrity, to say we are going great because we have more wins then the shithouse preceding year
Facts are Flano gave up before a ball was kicked off by telling us this year was a write off,so now it looks like we are over achieving
He said he would recruit and rebuild in 24 for a side that he wants for 25 and beyond
Well so far we have recruited 🍩 and losing some of our best performers this year
I don’t know but like You I don’t see a plan
Your post is very accurate
The facts are you can not argue with what you are saying

56to66

Juniors
People must remember this is Flannos 1st year as head coach of a club since Wayne Bennett, have been completely diabolical.
Successive duds Steven Price, OK give a Rookie a go, fair enough.
But there were no excuses for keeping McGregor for that long pure stupidity
Griffith I thought was better than that, fair enough had a crack, got sacked.
McGregors Tenure was an absolute joke, he left a legacy of Losers addiction.
It's taken Ciraldo a couple of years, but the dogs seem to be on the upward trajectory, remember it was only last year the Dogs were getting absolutely hammered in there losses, similar to the Red V now, however the dragons have won more games than the dogs Last year.
I expect bigger and better results in 2025, if the Dragons don't make the eight next year, well who knows.
I said this in 2008 if Bennett can't win the Dragons a comp, no one will.
If Flanno can't make the Dragons a future heavyweight again, no one will!

Last edited:

matPORTS

Juniors
At the back end of Steve Prices' tenure, the club was at it's absolute rock bottom.

Under Mary, we had a couple of "good but not great" years that gave us some hope (2015, 2018 - even 2017 showed potential given where we were in 2016). Mary was finally moved on because the club needed change after seven years, with many in the organisation getting way too comfortable and happy to take the paycheck.

Under Hook, the club went to it's rock bottom again. Was Hook the right man for the job to begin with? Clearly not, but I think he did want to implement some hard nosed change and just didn't have the respect. The club certainly needs to look at the Hook years and learn it's lessons. "We did and we didn't need these years" if that makes sense...

My thoughts now for many seasons, going all the way back to the start of the post-Bennett premiership era - the playing rosters we've had have not played to their full potential.

2017 - we should have comfortably made the top 8
2018 - we should have comfortably made the top 4
Just about most other seasons - had the coach got the team playing to it's potential the results could have been better (not world beating but better than the 11th placed or lower positions that we eventually finished).

I'm prepared to say that, if we don't make any significant signings for 2025 - Flanno will still manage to keep improving our fortunes, and that includes promoting juniors through the system. He knows more than any other coach we've had in the last 12 years that he needs to strike a balance between astute recruitment and nurturing the junior base.

But coming back to my earlier point, at best the roster in it's current state and playing to it's absolute potential is no more than a "middle of the road" team - and when I say that I mean 5th or 6th place after the regular season at it's peak performance level, which I'm sure most of us would take right now.

We need to start signing some players, urgently.

The biggest danger is that over the coming 5-7 years - we end up being like where Parramatta has been. Go on a run during a 3-5 year window making preliminary finals from outside (or just inside) the top 4, and maybe making it to a Grand Final and falling short at the back end of those years. That's not going to be enough for this fanbase - and a different kind of pressure will grow on him - not getting the job done (with possibly the chokers tag coming back).

TheRev

First Grade
The thing is recruitment was easier under those previous coaching eras.. we could get a marquee or 2... the only risk was overpaying.. which compared to our current situation.. sounds like paradise.

We missed the boat when the Tigers and Dogs started fixing their rosters.. we missed a bunch of possible marquees... now the market is really dry and our reptuation is only starting to trend up from rock bottom... not easy to do with this crop of players.

The Dolphins only make it worse, as will Team 18, 19 and 20 in the future.. I really hope a couple of the signings come off in the near future.. our best shot of saving this club is via Flanagan.. but its no guarantee.. and I do wish we had 1 more good head in there to help out.. surely 1 bloke can only do so much in a 24hr period.. Shanes focus is always the 1st grade performance next week.. he knows every win is crucial to our future.

Shane did seem to do a lot during that last bye week though, maybe this week he will knock some heads together again.

Lennyb

Juniors
The team is building nicely.

Some deadwood needs to go, but most of the deadwood is in the management side of the club.

We need an enforcer, a hooker and a fullback.

In that order, I believe. Price wise.

All 3 needed though.