What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Flanagan

OurRedV

Juniors
The evidence is the inept and farcical system we continue to have.

Our BOD are long play experts and manipulate things well in advance to ensure the status quo.

The BOD ensured that anyone wanting to have "complete control" of his own destiny as head coach was never going to get the job. Whilst I'm not a great fan of the NRL journo's it was pretty much reported that Ryles would not compromise on his wish list so therefore withdrew from the contest.

Heaven forbid it might have actually worked and showed our BOD up for the imposters they are.

Sure. Great.

But.... What suggests they would've all bent over for Ryles?

I don't see any evidence to suggest Ryles would've been able to do anything.

since77

Juniors
I see that conceptional thinking is not your strong point.
Yep, not a fan of baseless conjecture.
If Ryles had been given the job and his wishes adhered to would that have meant that the iron fisted grip the board has over the R L side of the club would have been finally broken?
I don't know. Would it? Or, even assuming you're right, would it have gone back to business as usual after Ryles had left the same way it did when Bennett moved on?
Would that have been a better outcome or is the nepotism of Dean Young sitting and waiting in the wings ensuring that winks, nudges and favours remaining the norm be more beneficial?
I don't have a problem with Dean Young, at least as far as his current appointment is concerned. Flanno hired him, not the board. Maybe I'm naive but I don't believe the nepotism narrative that the Dean Young haters bang on about ad nauseum. If that were true then surely he would have got the head coaches job in front of Flanno.

The breaking of the grip of the board was and remains more important than the immediate results on the field that Ryles may or may not have achieved.

Nothing will ever change for the better at St GI unless the BOD grip is broken and Flanno is never going to do that and IMO Ryles was the chance for that change and he would have done things without fear or favour such is his nature.

Again, it amazes me that you're constantly ignoring the fact that Jason Ryles has done absolutely nothing as a head coach, anywhere. How this beginner coach with zero coaching experience, let alone any football management and administrative experience, wrestles control from the board and raises the club out of the mire is not obvious to me.
Tell me how?

Instead of getting to wax lyrical about might have been good or bad on the paddock we instead get to talk incessantly about what remains to be and in fact has been the case for 12.5 years namely good old mediocrity and what is wrong with our club.

5 hit ups and an up and under from our own half, Lawrie in the 17 and even promoted to 13, Hunt's kicking game, rinse and repeat selections, more journeymen, Bird at 4 and his best yet to come, 5 minute blooding of our youth every pancake day and of course the endless statements re the useless BOD yep gotcha all that is better than anything that Ryles could ever have done.
And I share your frustration on many of those very topics. Your excitement about Jason Ryles would suggest you have evidence he would have done things differently?

Old Timer

Coach
Sure. Great.

But.... What suggests they would've all bent over for Ryles?

I don't see any evidence to suggest Ryles would've been able to do anything.
Nothing suggests they would all bend over for Ryles and that's the very reason he didn't get the job because he refused to bend over for them.

Now Flanno on the other hand more than happy to sit next to Dean our "defence" guru and next coach in waiting with the stunning stats of -26 points / game and then continually pick his boy at 6 and Hunt at 7 in a team that scores 18 points / game.

I don't know. Would it? Or, even assuming you're right, would it have gone back to business as usual after Ryles had left the same way it did when Bennett moved on?

I don't have a problem with Dean Young, at least as far as his current appointment is concerned. Flanno hired him, not the board. Maybe I'm naive but I don't believe the nepotism narrative that the Dean Young haters bang on about ad nauseum. If that were true then surely he would have got the head coaches job in front of Flanno.

Again, it amazes me that you're constantly ignoring the fact that Jason Ryles has done absolutely nothing as a head coach, anywhere. How this beginner coach with zero coaching experience, let alone any football management and administrative experience, wrestles control from the board and raises the club out of the mire is not obvious to me.
Tell me how?

And I share your frustration on many of those very topics. Your excitement about Jason Ryles would suggest you have evidence he would have done things differently?
I think the way that Ryles would have wrestled some control back from the board was that he had demands to this effect in his contract. I think the board had eventually agreed to these demands. But Ryles got a last minute offer from Melbourne and took it. The board then offered Flanagan the job under different conditions.

Nothing suggests they would all bend over for Ryles and that's the very reason he didn't get the job because he refused to bend over for them.

Now Flanno on the other hand more than happy to sit next to Dean our "defence" guru and next coach in waiting with the stunning stats of -26 points / game and then continually pick his boy at 6 and Hunt at 7 in a team that scores 18 points / game.
I think Ryles did get the job, but chose Melbourne instead.

Old Timer

Coach

Tell me how?

If you can't see that the initial breaking down of the Board's influence and grip over all things at our football cub is the most important thing there is to achieve then you will never see any logic other than more of the same which is exactly what you are now getting.

Bag Ryles all you like but he offered a significant point of difference and stood his ground and despite the bagging you give him he is yet again in a key position with a major contender for the title so are you telling me that is just dumb luck on his part?

Yet to see Dean sitting at a contender's main coaching table.

You assume he would have failed miserably and pontificate what would happen after said failure yet seem content / happy / defend more of the same thing that sees us remain uncompetitive.

By the way no need for the histrionics with the font etc

Phantom V

Juniors
Some very selective comparisons

So, we compare Kyle, not to what we did have in Amone, but to Deardon, a player we don't have.

And we compare the loss of Ryles as "good enough for Bellyache" but not good enough for Bennet where Demetriou has become the 5th coach to be sacked, after appointed with previous coach's blessing.

Anyway - these are all arguments that no-one will win because we can't go back in time. We have what we have.

With my brilliant, perfect, 20/20 hindsight, Flanno biggest mistake was convincing Hunt to stay. I understand why, and I also understand why Kyle is the perfect foil. I think Flanno just failed to grasp how stubborn Hunt can be. Hunt can't adapt to a modified role where he allows Kyle to manage the game. Hunt's Ego is just too big.

If he does manage to get through to Hunt, it will prove to be a coaching masterstroke however, unfortunately - I doubt it
Good post Hound. I can’t fault Hunts work rate but as you said he demands most of the ball and it takes away from other aspects of his game and invariably he ends up making mistakes. If Flanno still wants him in the side, then for us to be competitive we need a game managing half with a good kicking game which will allow him to run at the line which has always been his strength.
We have the core of a decent side but will not see a marked improvement with a rocks or diamonds half.

since77

Juniors
If you can't see that the initial breaking down of the Board's influence and grip over all things at our football cub is the most important thing there is to achieve then you will never see any logic other than more of the same which is exactly what you are now getting.

Bag Ryles all you like but he offered a significant point of difference and stood his ground and despite the bagging you give him he is yet again in a key position with a major contender for the title so are you telling me that is just dumb luck on his part?

Yet to see Dean sitting at a contender's main coaching table.

You assume he would have failed miserably and pontificate what would happen after said failure yet seem content / happy / defend more of the same thing that sees us remain uncompetitive.

By the way no need for the histrionics with the font etc
Wow you literally just read everything I write in my responses and then completely ignore the substance of it don't you? Several times I've agreed with you on certain aspects of what you said. Yet to get the same courtesy or objectivity from you.

Yeah I guess Melbourne's success this year is due to master assistant coach Ryles. That hack Bellamy would have nothing to do with it. By that logic we should be talking to Steve Price again, he's at least got a really consistent long term record of success as an assistant coach.....whereas Ryles....not so much....

As I've said many times, I don't care about your blind hatred for Dean Young and don't see how it's relevant to the discussion. Did I nominate him for any coaches job? Why do you spend so much time obsessed with Dean? Is it because he played bravely and overcame adversity to win us a comp whilst Ryles was told by Bennett he was surplus to requirements and ended up getting his dumb ass kicked on grand final day in 2010?

When did I say I was happy with the current situation? You're yet to present any kind of evidence that under Ryles we're in a better situation. Except that you say so. Hmm.

Hope this font is ok, just wanted to make sure people could read the difference between questions and answers. Thought that would be obvious. Or was the Old Timer getting a bit histrionic?

Kolum Kid

Juniors

Bag Ryles all you like but he offered a significant point of difference and stood his ground and despite the bagging you give him he is yet again in a key position with a major contender for the title
I agree with your first paragraph OT but I'd bet my left nut that the board aren't going to give up control to an untried rookie. Imo the only coach's that could manage that are the big three, WB, CB and TR and I can't see that happening any time soon.

I don't know how you could possibly believe a rookie coach was even a slight chance of successfully making demands for control from our useless board.

I also can't understand how Flanno accepting the Board's conditions reflect poorly on him. It's not like he had a choice
(unless you think he should of taken another 'moral' stance - God give me strength)

Ultimately we should all be going the SGI Board who have been nothing short of disgraceful across every aspect of the club
Like West Tigers, there needs to be an independent review of our board and it should be performed on the request of our shareholders. (Win/St George/Illawarra)

The only way the shareholders will initiate such a review, is if the members continue to communicate their disgust to the appropriate people in power (Not the appointed BOD members).

We need to overhauled the entire administration and get rid of the useless BOD and the structures that continually get them re-elected. They are purely interested in their own power and jobs.

Bring back the Oust Doust campaign with a slight change

SWORD THE BOARD

SEAT 1A

Bench
Shane has improved the roster and the team is playing with some type of structure. We were in slow motion last year.

He's using the back three similar to the top clubs, Sloan has improved out of sight with his defence in the last two game, Huth is a tackling machine, Su'a and Suli are playing their best this year and Luc and Sele have been added.

We were in the bottom four last year, we need one more win and we beat last year. Had some great wins and some shockers but the inconsistencies will turn.

All my mates that are not Dragons fans and go for clubs outside of the Roosters, Storm or Panthers would love the have Flanno as their coach. The only people that don't want him are some Saints fans.
That’s frankly not true.

There’s a lot of players who don’t want to come to the Dragons and be coached by Flanagan. That’s more significant then what the average fan thinks.

As a club, Flanno is not our problem but he isn’t a popular coach in the game anymore from what I can make of it.

offiah

Juniors
That’s frankly not true.

There’s a lot of players who don’t want to come to the Dragons and be coached by Flanagan. That’s more significant then what the average fan thinks.

As a club, Flanno is not our problem but he isn’t a popular coach in the game anymore from what I can make of it.
You’ve heard that from players?

You’ve heard that from players?

Yep, I am a player agent in fact with about two dozen players...

Obviously you are not following the news. Do I need to spell it out? Players keep ruling Dragons out. Hence, it would be fair to say it's not true that they'd "love to have Flanno as coach" as previously suggested. Sure there would be other reasons too - a myriad of them - but he obviously doesn't have the pulling power we might have hoped.

For the record, I am happy with him as coach before anyone wants to call me a Flanno basher.

since77

Juniors
Yep, I am a player agent in fact with about two dozen players...

Obviously you are not following the news. Do I need to spell it out? Players keep ruling Dragons out. Hence, it would be fair to say it's not true that they'd "love to have Flanno as coach" as previously suggested. Sure there would be other reasons too - a myriad of them - but he obviously doesn't have the pulling power we might have hoped.

For the record, I am happy with him as coach before anyone wants to call me a Flanno basher.
If you're a player agent, I'm Santa Claus.
Merry Christmas.