What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

hellteam

First Grade
This has gone on for way too long. We are 4-5 going into origin, not good enough. Surely its time

user_nat

Coach
Hannant's contribution against Souths was roughly equal to our entire bench tonight.

Griffin, what a superstar.

Dazzat

First Grade
Agree. The club has no choice. I've made my case fairly consistently on this forum. I don't like criticising for the sake of it. Griffin is probably a very reasonable person, but he is not the man to take the Broncos forward.

His decision making is flawed on so many levels in team selection and tactics, and unfortunately it will take a year or two to unravel his poor decisions.

The problem is, I don't know who the club will bring in if they sack Griffin now. Kearney is just Griffin-lite with a Kiwi accent. What may happen is the club may not announce anything until the end of the year, but behind the scenes will be signing either Bellamy or Bennett.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Agree he should be gone tonight.
Worse than henjak and that's a big call.
Ffs id take Matthew Elliot atm

Nerd

Bench
Matthew Elliot? Lets hope we never get that desperate.

Apparently White the CEO and Griffin are mates so maybe both need to go. I'm all for Kevvie Walters. He's done his apprenticeship in England and with the Storm and surely would have to be better than Griffin.

hellteam

First Grade
We're easily the worst run club in the league, football-wise. Our recruiting/player retention has been worse than any other club in the competition, yes even sharks/eels. We really have no excuse, one city club, average the highest crowds in the league, yet we constantly buy/keep the wrong players and end up signing players like Todd lowrie and Stuart mills. Griffin AND Andrew gee have to go, nothing will change until they do.

A situation that typifies our shit situation is the treatment of Ben Hunt. We had a halfback rated as the best in his age group, yet we played him as BENCH HOOKER for about three years, whilst we have f**king Wallace and titans reject Prince in the halves. Of course, now Hunt gets a go and is killing it. Imagine the halfback we would have now if he had 70 first grade games in the position under his belt like he should have.

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
Re replacement coach for this year, give it to Kevvie Walters. I'm sure he'd take a one year contract to get his foot in the door.

Nightward

Juniors
I think Griffin could probably be a decent first-grade coach... eventually. Unfortunately, he was pitchforked in before he was really ready and has been found wanting as a result.

I understand wanting to show loyalty to players and give them an opportunity to develop, but too many are under-performing and playing out of position. If either Hannant or Martin were to be dropped, you'd think it would be the latter since Martin has been playing worse and worse of late while Hannant has been improving, albeit slowly. Instead, Hannant was shuffled off to Queensland Cup. While we finally got Hala as a result, the team would have been better with Hannant instead. Not enough to win this game, but still better.

Stopgap solution at minimum has to be Martin out for Hala, Hoffman to Wing, Copely out, Granville to five-eighth. It's far from ideal, but pretty much anything would give us more firepower than we currently have.

For what it's worth, I bear Copely no ill will; he was pretty good as a centre earlier in the season, but just doesn't have the pace and positioning instincts to play wing. He's obviously a workhorse second-row or centre, which is why he goes and we keep Oates on the bench for impact.

Moving Hunt to halfback was, with the benefit of hindsight, a good choice. The problem is that's about the limit of Griffin's innovation.

Give him a year or two under Bennet and he could be a long-term head coach. As it is he may have to follow Walters' path through the wilderness to get back to the top.

Dazzat

First Grade
I can only offer one explanation for the insanity that goes under the heading of "Griffin's coaching".

Griffin coaches for the Board at the Broncos - not for the team and not for the fans.

He makes decisions that he believes will make the Board happy, and this is why he 1) rarely takes a risk 2) has no idea about long term planning and development of young players.

Everything seems to be about his survival as coach of one of Australia's biggest sporting clubs, if not the biggest. It is apparent that as the deadline of round 10 approaches, the pressure is getting to him. His answers in the press conference after last night's game reveals a man in denial, looking for alternate reality that just isn't there.

This year will not go well for the Broncos. You can't live off the revenue base, your size, your popularity, your one-team-town status and neglect showing respect and making good decisions.

I may be wrong, but it seems Brisbane has more players walk out the door than any other club. They come and they go. And no Sydney-based players want to play with us ... oh except Stewart Mills (what a great buy that's turned out to be).

If Brisbane doesn't face some harsh truths about itself, its just going to get worse before it gets better. Sacking Griffin will just be the beginning.

Kiwi

First Grade
He has to go, how can a coach be sooooo blind to something as simple as the Hoffman experiment? Because he came up with it does it mean he doesn't want to change it and admit he made a mistake? EVERY single fan with half a brain can see what Hoffman in the 6 is doing to our teams attack, whilst I agreed with dropping Hannant ( and was proven wrong ) will Griffin admit the mistake and drop Kennedy and bring Hannant back? Some how I doubt it if these last 5 weeks are anything to go by. Why the hell did he drop Granville? Did Granville show to much form? Sorry son you're playing to well off you go back the QRL where another team can poach you. I am over it completely, and I refuse to watch another game till the numpty is gone. I have better things to do than to watch one mans ineptitude with player selection, team tactics, use of the bench, people management destroy the club I love. Paul White stand up and do your job and fire Griffin even if that means Kearny as coach till we can find a replacement or you can f**k off as well.

blaza88z

Coach
seriously, you look at our team.. we have a good squad with better players playing in the QLD cup

that's what stinks about it the most, we're not playing that bad on a week to week basis it's just that the players being selected are farcical

Kiwi

First Grade
seriously, you look at our team.. we have a good squad with better players playing in the QLD cup

that's what stinks about it the most, we're not playing that bad on a week to week basis it's just that the players being selected are farcical

Yes and no, put a proper 6 in the 6, put parker back in the front row with McGuire, ditch Kennedy to reserves, put Oates in the second row till Thaiday returns and put Granville back on the bench, select Wallace, Hannant, and Molo on the bench with him and that goes a long way to fixing our problems. It's not rocket f**king science, and if Griffin can't see it he's not a coaches arsehole.

oikee

Juniors
This one club big city team is the sheer embarrassment of Brisbane and the code.
White has been a lead weight as well. Overtaken by the Rabbits in memberships is a letdown. They cracked 30 thousand while Whitey sits on his hands and laurels.
His mate Griff the farmer has never been a coach.
Hoffman is a winger.
Andrew Gee has no idea who to recruit. Signing rolley polley forwards in a comp that gets faster by the minute has made this team slow.
Jack Reed continues to keep his spot with his butter fingers.

Ben Hunt is not grand final material. You can talk him up all you like, wont make him a better player. He is about Brett Seymour quality.

The club never replaced Lockler Falou Hunt or Inglis, all we lost.
There are a huge amount of superstar players simply slipping away from Brisbane because the scouts cant see the potential of a Dogzilla or a Milford Papalii or Edrick Lee.

The club needs a clean-out from top to bottom. Too many people are sucked in by the nice guy routine of White, Gee and Griffith.

Bring back Bennett as game manager, Kevvie Walters as Coach, and sign a female Netball CEO.

The Broncos had a chance when they signed the new CEO, to recruit a Green Bay Packer lady who was in charge of game day and manager of memberships and marketing.
The best in America at the time, they forgo all this this for whitey, a coal manager.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
I would like to congratulate Griffin on one selection - that of bringing on Steve Kearney as his assistant. Truly a master stroke!

Why?

When a coach is sacked, who normally comes in as stand-in to see out the year? That's right - the assistant. Which club in their right mind would ever sack a coach, and then appoint Steve Kearney as stand-in, one of the worst coaches ever in the NRL? The coach who book Parramatta to cricket score losses!

Genius! By appointing Kearney as his assistant, Griffin has guaranteed he will see out the year! The guy is a genius. No really.

Ph1l

Juniors
Agree he should be gone tonight.
Worse than henjak and that's a big call.
Ffs id take Matthew Elliot atm

Wow. Almost word for word what I was going to say as well.

There's only a couple of coaches south of the border I'd be happy to see take over and Matt Elliot is one of them. Him or Kevin Walters.

I always felt Ivan Henjak was really hard done by, but I think it's too late for him.

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
You broncos demand as much success as us at the dragons. If it makes all of you feel any better the broncos have looked pretty good up until last night. Just got pipped by the roosters and titans; should be in
The top four and you have actual front rowers and a good reserve grade contingent. If it's out griffin then it's perish price. I mean we are running off an oily rag, a Bacardi drinker a couple if poms and a few kiwis. By the way; hope vidot gets a run in the forwards.

DeeJ

Bench
I would like to congratulate Griffin on one selection - that of bringing on Steve Kearney as his assistant. Truly a master stroke!

Why?

When a coach is sacked, who normally comes in as stand-in to see out the year? That's right - the assistant. Which club in their right mind would ever sack a coach, and then appoint Steve Kearney as stand-in, one of the worst coaches ever in the NRL? The coach who book Parramatta to cricket score losses!

Genius! By appointing Kearney as his assistant, Griffin has guaranteed he will see out the year! The guy is a genius. No really.

So we'll have Griffin till the end of the year or Kearney will win us our first wooden spoon.

Dazzat

First Grade
It was reported on the Sunshine Coast Daily this week that Henjak will be sacked by he Sunshine Coast Falcons because the Bulldogs are actually going to invest in the club.

Are all the planets aligning for a comeback (just joking).

Latest posts