What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
It was reported on the Sunshine Coast Daily this week that Henjak will be sacked by he Sunshine Coast Falcons because the Bulldogs are actually going to invest in the club.

Are all the planets aligning for a comeback (just joking).

Better be. Griffin is a terrible coach but he's never led us to a 56 point thumping.

blaza88z

Coach
there's no way in the world Henjak would want to come back, after the way he was sent packing

Nerd

Bench
We're easily the worst run club in the league, football-wise. Our recruiting/player retention has been worse than any other club in the competition, yes even sharks/eels. We really have no excuse, one city club, average the highest crowds in the league, yet we constantly buy/keep the wrong players and end up signing players like Todd lowrie and Stuart mills. Griffin AND Andrew gee have to go, nothing will change until they do.

A situation that typifies our shit situation is the treatment of Ben Hunt. We had a halfback rated as the best in his age group, yet we played him as BENCH HOOKER for about three years, whilst we have f**king Wallace and titans reject Prince in the halves. Of course, now Hunt gets a go and is killing it. Imagine the halfback we would have now if he had 70 first grade games in the position under his belt like he should have.
Well said!

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Better be. Griffin is a terrible coach but he's never led us to a 56 point thumping.

That 56 point thumping was exactly what the team needed, and set them on a winning streak that took them to within one game of the GF. Out of everything bad that happened under Henjak, the 56-0 was a wake up call.

hellteam

First Grade
Neil Henry would be a good option but I have a feeling the Titans want to keep him until they sack Cartwright...

Nightward

Juniors
Neil Henry would be a good option but I have a feeling the Titans want to keep him until they sack Cartwright...

I don't know that they would sack him. Honestly, Cartwright has done pretty well.

The thing I would say is that Cartwright's one weakness as a coach seems to have been coming up with tactics that take true advantage of what his team offers, whereas his strength has been motivating and managing his players. From Henry's career so far and the role he plays at Origin time, he's essentially in the opposite position; great for tactics, maybe not so good for management and motivation. Put the two of them together, and you turn the Titans into a true force.

man2iel_

Juniors
The Anthony Griffin experiment I anticipate will end after this season. Look for Uncle Wayne with Kevin Walters and/or Darren Lockyer to return to steady the ship from next season.

Dazzat

First Grade
The only reason Griffin won't be sacked is 1) the lack of options 2) the club would prefer a clean start next year, rather than a fill-in coach this year.

Other than that, he's a dead man walking under August - as I doubt we'll be seeing any action in September.

Ph1l

Juniors
I hope Bennett doesn't do a Stuart and dessert a sinking ship. I wouldn't like to see tag a-longs like Jeremy Smith and Beau Scott playing for the Broncs anyway.

_Johnsy

Referee
The Anthony Griffin experiment I anticipate will end after this season. Look for Uncle Wayne with Kevin Walters and/or Darren Lockyer to return to steady the ship from next season.

Heard exactly the same thing @ work that Hook is gone @ the end of the year & Broncs either have or very, very close to having Benny as coaching director & K Walters as coach. Not sure about the accuracy, time will tell.

Dazzat

First Grade
With Nathan Tinkler looking down the barrel, the future at Newcastle is looking decidedly shaky for Benny. Coming home - where his family lives - would surely be an attractive option at this stage for the great coach.

Here's hoping. I like the option of Walters. It seems to fit. Walters is a proven individual, but still to prove himself as a coach, but with Benny to guide that sounds a plan!

lockyno1

Post Whore
With Nathan Tinkler looking down the barrel, the future at Newcastle is looking decidedly shaky for Benny. Coming home - where his family lives - would surely be an attractive option at this stage for the great coach.

Here's hoping. I like the option of Walters. It seems to fit. Walters is a proven individual, but still to prove himself as a coach, but with Benny to guide that sounds a plan!

I'd rather Kearney than Griffin if it meant sacking Griffin! The bloke has NFI how to coach!

Jason Maher

Immortal
Out of interest, are any of you re-assessing your "sack Griffin" opinions after some good recent form (would have been 5 from 6 if not for some shoddy refereeing in the souffs game)?

lockyrulz

Juniors
I was never a 'sack Griffin' guy, I actually think he is doing a pretty good job.

The only black spot for me has been the treatment of Hannant, which I think has been very disappointing, but I obviously don't know the whole story as to what happened there.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Out of interest, are any of you re-assessing your "sack Griffin" opinions after some good recent form (would have been 5 from 6 if not for some shoddy refereeing in the souffs game)?

I don't know how much I put our recent form down to him. He's allowing us to play some more expansive footy which is always welcome.

A lot of it has to do with our players coming into their own ie Hunt and Copley. Hoffman in the halves is still a massive problem that needs to be rectified.

ggmu

Juniors
If he keeps us playing the way we did last week I'll be happy to see him stay. But if we go back to one out runs then bomb and hope ill still want him gone.

Big Pete

Referee

Nope.

Fans want a better coach. A lot of them wanted Hook to be the first coach sacked and still regard him as the worst coach in the game (I believe there are other candidates) and would just about have anybody come in. Especially ex-club legends with bugger all experience coaching players. (eg. Lockyer)

Personally, I'm probably the biggest Hook apologist on here and believe that Hook is a really solid coach, but the Broncos deserve better and I find it really difficult to envision a premiership under him.

It's been a strange season really. While there have been games where by rights we should have won, there are others we should have lost but just managed to find a way to win (vs Cowboys comes to mind). It's been very rocky because the Broncos can show premiership winning qualities in one set than down right wooden spoon tendencies the next (the Broncos absolutely suck at taking kick offs).

The outcomes of the past few weeks have been positive but the performances against the Titans & Tigers were terrible while the Manly game had that post-Origin taint about it.

Dazzat

First Grade
A few wins and reasonable performances by players don't make a coach.

We need to look at other key performance indicators to judge how a coach is travelling.

The first is consistency - and in that department the club has never been worse. One never knows what Brisbane team will turn up in terms of their commitment. The last two games are evidence of this.

Then there's defensive attitude - an area only last year I believe Brisbane led the league in missed tackles.

Another area is game plans and structure - again some weeks it seems the game plan is to go one out and play the most boring football, the next its throw the ball around with abandon.

Then there's team work. Many of the close wins we've had recently haven't been due to a great team performance, but because of Hodges, Hunt, Parker or Gillett pulling the game out of the fire.

Don't get me wrong ... I think Griffin is a very solid coach, just not first grade.

lynx000

Juniors
I have waxed and waned on the issue. Originally I thought the signs were there that he could be a good coach and a long term coach for us. I started to lose some faith last year and there came a point this year where I had jumped on the bandwagon for sacking him, but now I am teetering again.

Perhaps there may be more to him than we are seeing. A couple of comments made by Hunt have set me thinking again. He noted recently that Hook had sat him down and told him that there were flaws in his game that he wanted him to address prior to giving him a start in the halves, one of them being his defence. There may have been some strategy behind the whole bench hooker role after all, namely, one allowing him to stay within the team environment and train with the squad, get game experience albeit time limited in the top grade and to develop his tacking as a forward (which seems to have really worked).

If anyone would know Hunt and how he should be brought through you would think it would be Hook from his experience with him in the U20's. Maybe we are finally seeing the fruition this year of a well thought out plan??

Just putting it out there.

Latest posts