What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

I suspect Hook does have a good football brain, however being a good head coach is about more than just football and where Hook was not the right coach for the Dragons was his inability to create a strong team culture where players want to do their best to help their mates and turn up for all 80 minutes. If a coach is not capable of developing that culture they need to relay heavily on their senior players and captain to set the standard.

I think even before Hook arrived we have had an issue with our senior players and captains not setting the standard. In hindsight looking at our last three long term captains Widdop, McInnes and Hunt, only McInnes really set the example.

It's not that Widdop and Hunt necessarily didn't perform on the field, but they were more focused on achieving their own individual KPIs and ensuring their own. It is a shame that Hook pursued the policy of recruiting older players for cheap bucks to keep Hunt happy.

If the club had been able to recruit a solid almost gun forward for big bucks to replace McInnes the leadership would not have been placed on Hunt who does not provide leadership or help create a culture that encourages looking after your mates. Hunt is too focused on making sure he gets the ball and that he gets touches every play.

As much as I have my doubts about Dean Young's ability to be a head coach, I do think he was a very hard working player who set standards on and off the field that helped young players to know what is expected and he turned up and played for his teams for all the minutes he played. I also had hoped that Matt Cooper would be appointed as an assistant coach as he worked damn hard off the field and didn't let his team mates carry his share of the load. Between the two of them they could have contributed to taking some of the load off Flanno who I think can address both football and culture but who is only human and needs his assistants to set the standard for training and doing your share of the hard work as he is going to be flat out working out new football strategies and plays.
Wow, a bit to unpack here, thanks.

From what and understand about your club:

McInnis was a once in a generation type of player. I was disappointed he left. He hasn’t been the same. I know he was injured, but this was a case where SGI was the right fit.

Dean had quite a few things going for him as player. He was a strike attacking forward. He’d seem done and ready to be tackled but then he would kick!

He had unusual talents for a forward. In theory, every forward should have some attacking options in the kitty like Dean.

And I suppose every back should be able to cart the ball up and take a few.

The roosters used Latrell like that and for a few times, we saw Edwards this year in the middle.

But Dean would be a good player to model a game on. I suppose it takes years to become a strike forward. I loved watching him at his peak.

Kiks is another, but we know he has too many holidays at the dogs.

I wonder what Albert is up to these days? His first year off away from footy since the 1960s.

Big change of life’s circumstances.

He had to go, sure, but I wonder how he’s coping?

Last edited:
It’s a long story, but me and some off duty copper mates got into an argument with a country band about playing “rawhide” one night at the bowlo. They didn’t like the suggestion.

When we left there were 2 folk getting friendly on unlit green.

@soc123_au would have had a good night.

Maybe Hook was there too.

It wasn’t our fault, the band were trying too hard to be deep and meaningful.

So we had to take the piss out of them.

Just like the dragons army if they spot you in another jersey coming too close to them.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hunt's current attitude especially asking for a release has a lot to do with Hook than the Club. Hook let Hunt run the show, brought in Qlders or tried to hold onto Qlders (Norman) for Hunt. Hunt sounds like a spoilt brat who is throwing his toys out of the cot because he is not getting his way. Look at the mess Flanno has had to come into thanks to Hook.

People who are Hook fans like to point the finger at the club and how bad he was treated. That is the biggest load of BS I have heard. Hook brought in the Qlders, ignored the juniors and created a very poor culture with no discipline. The BBQ, suspensions etc happened on his watch because the players simply had no respect for the guy. The club extended Hook when they should not have hence showed support even due to his lack of improvement since Mary left which they assumed would happen within 2 years. They also gave him plenty of notice to improve. If you compared this to how Holbrook and Sheens who were booted from their coaching roles this season, were treated. the Saints gave him more awareness of where they were at and were very transparent throughout. So saying Hook got the raw end of the pineapple is rubbish. Please ask Sheens and Holbrook how they would have preferred their sacking to be handled? Even Hasler was treated much worse than Hook and he had this pride jersey fiasco to contend with. Now that is being treated poorly not Hook.

As for performance under Hooks watch, I am not sure if some agree here but the team played so much better under the rookie in Carr than they did under Hook. If a rookie can improve performance in a short space of time like Carr did that clearly shows how poorly the team culture, attitude ,performances and especially team selections were. I would rather lose Hunt because of his love for Hook than Lomax and other Saints juniors without Hook as coach because I guarantee Lomax would have been gone if Hook stayed and I can see this guy as our future leader or at least a loyal Saints player who will not leave the club over a coach.

You guys are brutal sometimes, but I appreciate the strict standards you aspire to given the history.

Hunt's current attitude especially asking for a release has a lot to do with Hook than the Club. Hook let Hunt run the show, brought in Qlders or tried to hold onto Qlders (Norman) for Hunt. Hunt sounds like a spoilt brat who is throwing his toys out of the cot because he is not getting his way. Look at the mess Flanno has had to come into thanks to Hook.

People who are Hook fans like to point the finger at the club and how bad he was treated. That is the biggest load of BS I have heard. Hook brought in the Qlders, ignored the juniors and created a very poor culture with no discipline. The BBQ, suspensions etc happened on his watch because the players simply had no respect for the guy. The club extended Hook when they should not have hence showed support even due to his lack of improvement since Mary left which they assumed would happen within 2 years. They also gave him plenty of notice to improve. If you compared this to how Holbrook and Sheens who were booted from their coaching roles this season, were treated. the Saints gave him more awareness of where they were at and were very transparent throughout. So saying Hook got the raw end of the pineapple is rubbish. Please ask Sheens and Holbrook how they would have preferred their sacking to be handled? Even Hasler was treated much worse than Hook and he had this pride jersey fiasco to contend with. Now that is being treated poorly not Hook.

As for performance under Hooks watch, I am not sure if some agree here but the team played so much better under the rookie in Carr than they did under Hook. If a rookie can improve performance in a short space of time like Carr did that clearly shows how poorly the team culture, attitude ,performances and especially team selections were. I would rather lose Hunt because of his love for Hook than Lomax and other Saints juniors without Hook as coach because I guarantee Lomax would have been gone if Hook stayed and I can see this guy as our future leader or at least a loyal Saints player who will not leave the club over a coach.

As per sheens, the writing was on the wall just before our game in Bathurst when our ceo got the go-ahead to sound out Scott Fulton as against Tim’s recruitment mate.

This was made by the board without telling Tim who publically denied it ( because he didn’t know).

So that’s in April.

So he only got a handful of games before the backsliding and slithering commenced in earnest.

And that’s ok from the board ( for once) because Tim had already lost his way.

But he had a solid hand in recruitment prior to that.

I think Hook inherited a bad roster from Mary. A lot of players didn’t follow on.

I will concede that I wasn’t surprised but curious as to the extra year.

I’m not sure if he’d made his case for it.

In my book, that would be improvement in players games, not just wins.

Another measure might be players at optimum.

Im not as knowledgeable as you guys on SGI affairs, but I don’t remember too many players near optimum. A lot of ours actually went backwards. Farcical.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hook inherited a bad roster? Wow. So why did Hook make it worse? His recruitment was based on looking in qlders only and bringing in has-beens whilst guys like McInness were flicked.

May I remind you that Hook fought hard to keep Norman? The roster Hook inherited had more rep players than what he left it with and the junior teams were in finals under Mary's tenure. Mary was a bad coach but Hook was even worse.

Please stop with this defence on Hook as Mary had the team in much better shape than Hook as 2 years before Hook they were a game away from the finals and then JDB screwed the Saints and Mary the year later. Mary was probably a 2/10 coach and Hook was as 1/10.

Hook inherited a bad roster? Wow. So why did Hook make it worse? His recruitment was based on looking in qlders only and bringing in has-beens whilst guys like McInness were flicked.

May I remind you that Hook fought hard to keep Norman? The roster Hook inherited had more rep players than what he left it with and the junior teams were in finals under Mary's tenure. Mary was a bad coach but Hook was even worse.

Please stop with this defence on Hook as Mary had the team in much better shape than Hook as 2 years before Hook they were a game away from the finals and then JDB screwed the Saints and Mary the year later. Mary was probably a 2/10 coach and Hook was as 1/10.

“85 minutes from a grand final”

“ try’s from kicks!”

“If the playing field was only 10 metres shorter”

“ Rookies Again” ( after 6 seasons).

Im happy to meet @Slippery Morris half way and say they were equally not ideal.

Hook had BBQ gate and the cataclysmic Albert betrayal. In some ways, it was easier to get rid of Albert by his own hand than to tap him on the shoulder.

Those are my respectful submissions, as an SGI enthusiast, not a member etc.
Slippery outranks me, that’s all ok.

Last edited:
I knew a school principal once and he got into trouble with a few billing things. Nothing very serious but he had to go.

And he found a job helping homeless people and he loved it.

I’m still wondering if Albert could re engage with the club at junior levels or standby gear steward. He might find that more rewarding than at the big end of town.

Do you guys offer Albert peace?

Or was the betrayal too hard on everyone?

Any thoughts welcomed.

RedVee_8

Juniors
I knew a school principal once and he got into trouble with a few billing things. Nothing very serious but he had to go.

I’m still wondering if Albert could re engage with the club at junior levels or standby gear steward. He might find that more rewarding than at the big end of town.

Any thoughts welcomed.
He is a Director of St G Leagues Club still, and I suspect the same at the Football Club.

denis preston

First Grade
Not only can't Hook coach but he can't commentate? Listening to him on Fox during commentary was painful.

All I know is when Hook was signed everyone expected him to make Saints play finals footy as he had a record of making finals and he failed miserably. Pretty sure he stated many times that his team will make the finals pre-season to give us some hope. He also had the reputation of blooding juniors which he failed there as well as we had our best juniors demanding a release after his first year.

His tenure was an absolute disaster and one we should move on from. He seems like a nice guy though, and I hope he does well in his future endeavours.
Whilst sonn bill has a job commentating Hook will never be the worst

Lennyb

Juniors

Any thoughts welcomed.
Gordon is our knight in shining armour.

He is currently battling the dragon and trying to force a Nexgard tablet down the beasts throat.

A wormer may need to be used, but that will be after the dust settles.

Stay tuned.

Gordon is our knight in shining armour.

He is currently battling the dragon and trying to force a Nexgard tablet down the beasts throat.

A wormer may need to be used, but that will be after the dust settles.

Stay tuned.
I thought Old man Gordon was in the Bahamas watching F-troop reruns with his Blonde Swedish aged care nurses.

Taking pot shots at the swimming pigs with an RPG with Mary.

Asking Mary how Dell was playing.

Not young Tristan of course.

Im not being Agist, we all deserve to live that well in retirement.

Especially us joint vultures.

Last edited: