What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Como Connection

First Grade
About four years ago at the top bar of SCG members stand Lord Ted was drinking with some mates and as I walked past I said to him " Teddy you're a legend".
He turned his back on his mates to discuss his footy days with me.
I told him I used to be a member of the Teddy Goodwin Stand at the footy.
Gentleman Teddy.
CC

Lovemedragons

Juniors
About four years ago at the top bar of SCG members stand Lord Ted was drinking with some mates and as I walked past I said to him " Teddy you're a legend".
He turned his back on his mates to discuss his footy days with me.
I told him I used to be a member of the Teddy Goodwin Stand at the footy.
Gentleman Teddy.
CC
Had a similar experience with Ted at Kogarah one day, he was only too happy to chat with my wife and I, he loved the fact I had been in the Sheridan 'Lord Ted' stand in '77 cheering on Bath's babes and he even called over Harry Bath to introduce him to us....one of the absolute greats in my books.

TruSaint

Referee
How we compare to other clubs as far as “major” injuries go. this is before last round.

Most clubs have been worse off than us. Only 2 have fared better…

Yeah, Im beyond looking for excuses. If we are to be fair dinkum, our season didn't derail s a result of injuries or questionable suspensions. It derailed as a result of ONE DOZEN players being made NOT available over the course of a month, due to a desire to have a piss-up in the midst of a pandemic.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
He's done a bloody fantastic job all things considered. I don't know what some of you were expecting, but Mcgregor ran the club into the ground. It's going to take 2-3 years minimum to get that stench out of the club. Hook's roster management so far has been a step in the right direction. Some great signings for next year combined with focusing on our extremely talented youth.

We should all be very excited for next year.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Griffin did inherit a basket case and with almost one season under his belt in charge we are still a basket case and little to indicate the future is any brighter. I would be looking elsewhere, Josh Hannay would offer more hope imo.

A few reasons Griffin has failed in my view:

- not finding a way to benefit from the undoubted ball skills and speed Dufty has while finding a way to minimising the issues he also has.
- not recognising we have a successful SOO number 9 in our squad and actually playing him there whilst at the same time not recognising our actual 9 is way past his best and a hindrance to our attack
- selecting Gerald Beale and Billy Burns in first grade, watching them fail miserably and then selecting them again and again.
- having any faith in Corey Norman at all, he is useless.
- Playing our best forward off the bench in a critical game for no obvious reason, De Belin.
- No apparent logic in his haphazard use of youngsters Feagals, Sloan, Sullivan, Amone, Ramsay - none of whom have shown any improvement under his care.
- Selecting Jack Bird in virtually every position on the field without any logic or success.
-Ending up lower on the table than where McGregor left us - we will end the season without another win the way things are going.
- Defence has not improved even a little bit, we slide and roll back every week and every week we get smashed. Come out and do the same the following week.
- Playing Josh Kerr in the back row.
- Not making Tariq Sims more accountable and consistent - plays like a superstar in SOO and plays like a busted arse the next game for us.
- Having the majority of his undisciplined squad openly defy his directive not to have the bbq - they aren't listening Anthony.

Anyone able to argue with any of these?

BLM01

First Grade
Griffin did inherit a basket case and with almost one season under his belt in charge we are still a basket case and little to indicate the future is any brighter. I would be looking elsewhere, Josh Hannay would offer more hope imo.

- not finding a way to benefit from the undoubted ball skills and speed Dufty has while finding a way to minimising the issues he also has.
- not recognising we have a successful SOO number 9 in our squad and actually playing him there whilst at the same time not recognising our actual 9 is way past his best and a hindrance to our attack
- selecting Gerald Beale and Billy Burns in first grade, watching them fail miserably and then selecting them again and again.
- Playing our best forward off the bench in a critical game for no obvious reason, De Belin.
- No apparent logic in his haphazard use of youngsters Feagals, Sloan, Sullivan, Amone, Ramsay - none of whom have shown any improvement under his care.
- Selecting Jack Bird in virtually every position on the field without any logic or success.
-Ending up lower on the table than where McGregor left us - we will end the season without another win the way things are going.
- Defence has not improved even a little bit, we slide and roll back every week and every week we get smashed. Come out and do the same the following week.
- Not making Tariq Sims more accountable and consistent - plays like a superstar in SOO and plays like a busted arse the next game for us.
- Having the majority of his undisciplined squad openly defy his directive not to have the bbq - they aren't listening Anthony.

Josh hannay....please. I'll argue that one
I think your last point & Point 2 is a fair argument
The rest i disagree with
How are we lower on the table than when McGregor left us?..we were never in the 8 last year...judge him after Round 25

BLM01

First Grade
Your last paragraphs opening sentence, is what seperates us from being a serious contender. We, atm, do not have that player, the consistand xfactor player, like TTurbo, Ponga, or a Haas or Fifita (Titans not the other one). No one of this standard will come here, as the club is in its current predicament. Our last 9 or so years, has basically secured us the title of 'whipping bitches', to be used as fodder for player agents. As @Willow said, the fish rots from the head, and our 'fish' has been rotting for a long time now and the stench is so unsavoury it can be smelt by every prospctive player.

Griffin has a hurculean task to gather what remains of this season, and not let it determine our 2022 campaign, and whilst it's not showing on the field at present, and there are a myriad of reasons for that, we must approach the rest of this year with a view to next. The deadwood, the 'problematics', the also-rans, will and have been removed, however, like the rotting fish, their stench still lingers within the group.
As for our xfactor, well it's plainly obvious, thst until we completly refurbish and renovate from top to bottom, we have to rely on home grown talent, to which we do have a few. Their key is the proper development of thrse players into xfactors. Now, is Hook the right person for that, or is there another who can successfully show a track record of this to take his place?
I know I am probably Robinson Crusoe but i certainly have not given up on this year in regards to making semis at least. Might even jag Week 1 but thats all she wrote

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Josh hannay....please. I'll argue that one
I think your last point & Point 2 is a fair argument
The rest i disagree with
How are we lower on the table than when McGregor left us?..we were never in the 8 last year...judge him after Round 25
so you back the continued selection of Corey Norman?
Happy with the Jack Bird wheel of fortune selection technique?
Happy with Burns, happy with Beale?

Ok then.

Josh Hannay was named just to highlight how disappointing Griffin continues to be.

I'm Hornby

Juniors

Before I get in to this, is your profile picture some clever attempt at a crack at Griffin because he has the same sirname as a fictional character? A bit lame IMO.

1) Don't understand what you mean about Dufty, care to elaborate as to how his substandard performances this year are Hooks fault?

2) Hunt has had a cracking year at 7 yet you are wanting Mary's tactics last year resumed it seems?

3) Selecting a premiership winning winger we picked up for peanuts during a period we were seriously depleted on outside backs and giving a young Penrith junior a run in first grade? Seriously? Not sure how either of them have failed miserably, neither have been our worst IMO.

4) Norman was here when Hook arrived and not many other options around the place, he wasn't resigned so won't be here next year, get over it and move on.

5) Is that what he said? There was no reason to it? There is a reason behind everything.

6) Most of the mentioned were not getting a run last year and have had their chances this year, juniors getting blooded is a good thing. This coach has a good record bringing through juniors, go back and look at the Brisbane/Penrith players he brought through, no reason why he won't do the same with us, he knows what he is doing.

7) Our defence was great over the first 8 rounds or so, go back and have a look. Certainly an improvement on last year.

8) Making use of a versatile player? No way thats crazy. Bird has been one of our best this season and has done well across the park.

9) We are higher than where we were last year.

10) Kerr has been okay in the back row, it was always worth a try, lots of people want us to sign some big second rowers well why not at least try and manufacture a big second rower?

11) How do you know he hasn't done this with Tariq? Besides he has some cracking games for us this year.

12) Not sure how the BBQ taking place is his fault? He warned the players, they went and did it anyway, doesn't make him a bad coach.

Ok then.

Josh Hannay was named just to highlight how disappointing Griffin continues to be.
I agree that Hannay has done better with his mob than Griffin has with ours. His team has also had a bigger injury list, “carrying” big pay check players like Dugan Woods n Moylan, and he’s not got any incentive of keeping/securing a new contract as Fitzgibbon trucks in next year.

Hannay has actually done surprisingly well IMO.

Trifili13

Juniors
Roosters are coming 5th with 9 players out.
Rooster's might be fifth with 9 players out, but more importantly look who they still have in. IMO most would walk into any team inside the top 3 or 4 teams, let alone lower teams, and that is why they are sitting where they are on the table. Despite 9 players out they can still field Tedesco, Manu, Tupou, Walker, Radley, Crighton, JWH, Verrells, Tupouniua, Liu and Taukeiaho.

getsmarty

Immortal

Ok then.

Burns was one of our best last week...how is Blacker going ? i know we got the better end of the deal there....
we have had a record number of suspensions this year...we should arguably be at the bottom of the ladder....Depth was already down thanks to the mess Griffin inherited.

Unbelievable how clueless some posters are....

RedVDave

First Grade
Rooster's might be fifth with 9 players out, but more importantly look who they still have in. IMO most would walk into any team inside the top 3 or 4 teams, let alone lower teams, and that is why they are sitting where they are on the table. Despite 9 players out they can still field Tedesco, Manu, Tupou, Walker, Radley, Crighton, JWH, Verrells, Tupouniua, Liu and Taukeiaho.
Yes but undermining Robinson's coaching abilities is laughable. Countless coaches have had great rosters and accomplished nothing.

Robinson lost Cordner, Friend, B. Morris,, Keary all to long term and career ending injuries take 4 key players out of any other side i.e. Newcastle and they would struggle imagine if the chooks were full strength they'd be top 3 easily. The fact they are 5th is bloody impressive.

mickeylane

Bench
I

must agree w you

mickeylane

Bench
The simple fact is that we are missing 3 very influential players in our team
A gun strike back
A gun running forward
A gun hooker
I believe we have a gun halfback.. until then we will struggle ..

Trifili13

Juniors
Yes but undermining Robinson's coaching abilities is laughable. Countless coaches have had great rosters and accomplished nothing.

Robinson lost Cordner, Friend, B. Morris,, Keary all to long term and career ending injuries take 4 key players out of any other side i.e. Newcastle and they would struggle imagine if the chooks were full strength they'd be top 3 easily. The fact they are 5th is bloody impressive.
While I agree that Robinson is an excellent coach and would gladly have him at the Dragon's, the Rooster's have tremendous depth that allows them to remain near the top despite their list of injuries.